Running Linux (which version) in a Virtual Machine for Windows XP - Setup

This is a discussion on Running Linux (which version) in a Virtual Machine for Windows XP - Setup ; I have a Windows XP Home SP2 box. 2.2Ghz celeron with .5Gig RAM. 80 GIG HD partitioned with C and D (a restore FAT drive) and I want to experience and "test drive" Linux. I'm unsure of the version I ...

  1. Running Linux (which version) in a Virtual Machine for Windows XP

    I have a Windows XP Home SP2 box. 2.2Ghz celeron with .5Gig RAM. 80 GIG HD
    partitioned with C and D (a restore FAT drive) and I want to experience and
    "test drive" Linux. I'm unsure of the version I should choose and where I
    can get it. There seems to be so many out there. I've tried VMPlayer and
    Vmware Debian Etch 40r0. Couldn't get the rez right. This must have been set
    for a VERY large monitor! And couldn't get the thing to communicate with my
    ISP (cable). I'm still trying. While simultaneously I'm downloading Ubuntu
    using Wubi-7.04-test2. I'm not sure what I'm doing! It's currently telling
    me this almost 700MB download is going to take 9 plus hours! I tried
    installing Ubuntu on a 333Mhz Pentium 2 with a small amount of RAM and about
    a 5.2 GIG HD. Never took. However an older copy of Mandrake did install but
    it was soooo slow the turtle got there before me! I wanted to experience
    Linux and communicate between Windows on the machine and Linux of the
    virtual drive to share documents using Open Office...for the learning
    experience.

    Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

    --
    Carpet diem = Seize the carpet

  2. Re: Running Linux (which version) in a Virtual Machine for Windows XP

    "Umma Gumma" wrote in message

    > I have a Windows XP Home SP2 box. 2.2Ghz celeron with .5Gig RAM. 80 GIG HD
    > partitioned with C and D (a restore FAT drive) and I want to experience

    and
    > "test drive" Linux. I'm unsure of the version I should choose and where I
    > can get it. There seems to be so many out there. . . . telling
    > me this almost 700MB download is going to take 9 plus hours!

    Look for the May 2007 number of (British/German) Linux Pro
    Magazine, supplied with a free CD of Xandros Linux (that ought
    to be able to take unused space from your XP drives to instal
    Linux. Xandros has a good list of other software available
    to registered owners. The magazine tells you how to register
    at no cost. This distro originated as Corel Debian.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: Running Linux (which version) in a Virtual Machine for Windows XP

    Umma Gumma writes:
    > I have a Windows XP Home SP2 box. 2.2Ghz celeron with .5Gig RAM. 80 GIG
    > HD partitioned with C and D (a restore FAT drive) and I want to
    > experience and "test drive" Linux. I'm unsure of the version I should
    > choose and where I can get it. There seems to be so many out
    > there. . . . telling me this almost 700MB download is going to take 9
    > plus hours!

    Go to www.ubuntu.com and request a free CD. They will send you one that
    will allow you to "test drive" Linux by booting the CD without writing
    anything to your hard disk. When you decide you like it you will be able
    to install Linux from the same CD alongside your XP installation and choose
    which OS to run when you boot the computer.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  4. Re: Running Linux (which version) in a Virtual Machine for WindowsXP

    Umma Gumma wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP Home SP2 box. 2.2Ghz celeron with .5Gig RAM. 80 GIG HD
    > partitioned with C and D (a restore FAT drive) and I want to experience and
    > "test drive" Linux. I'm unsure of the version I should choose and where I
    > can get it. There seems to be so many out there. I've tried VMPlayer and
    > Vmware Debian Etch 40r0. Couldn't get the rez right. This must have been set
    > for a VERY large monitor! And couldn't get the thing to communicate with my
    > ISP (cable). I'm still trying. While simultaneously I'm downloading Ubuntu
    > using Wubi-7.04-test2. I'm not sure what I'm doing! It's currently telling
    > me this almost 700MB download is going to take 9 plus hours! I tried
    > installing Ubuntu on a 333Mhz Pentium 2 with a small amount of RAM and about
    > a 5.2 GIG HD. Never took. However an older copy of Mandrake did install but
    > it was soooo slow the turtle got there before me! I wanted to experience
    > Linux and communicate between Windows on the machine and Linux of the
    > virtual drive to share documents using Open Office...for the learning
    > experience.
    >
    > Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

    My advice? get a 5 year old computer from someones dustbin, and install
    something on that.

    It will probably run faster than your XP anyway, won't crash, and most
    distros will have all the drivers for 5 year old kit in them as standard.

    Computers are cheap. Anything to do with XP is not. Leave it totally
    alone. It deserves to be ignored.

+ Reply to Thread