I have no printer, where is lpr printing? - Setup

This is a discussion on I have no printer, where is lpr printing? - Setup ; I have no printer installed. I have issued the command lpr lpq -l shows the job on the queue. After some seconds the job disapear from the queue. Where did it go? Did lpr sent it to /dev/lp0 and, since ...

  1. I have no printer, where is lpr printing?

    I have no printer installed.

    I have issued the command lpr
    lpq -l shows the job on the queue.
    After some seconds the job disapear from the queue.

    Where did it go? Did lpr sent it to /dev/lp0 and, since lp0 has no
    printer attached, it acts as a /dev/null ?

  2. Re: I have no printer, where is lpr printing?

    leoh writes:

    >I have no printer installed.

    >I have issued the command lpr
    >lpq -l shows the job on the queue.
    >After some seconds the job disapear from the queue.

    >Where did it go? Did lpr sent it to /dev/lp0 and, since lp0 has no
    >printer attached, it acts as a /dev/null ?

    I am sorry, but how should we know. It is your computer.
    What are you running-- cups, lpd, lpd-rng?
    What does lpq show you as to the printer queue
    OR lpc
    status
    ?
    Ie, you need to tell us more about your system.

  3. Re: I have no printer, where is lpr printing?

    leoh wrote:
    > I have no printer installed.
    >
    > I have issued the command lpr
    > lpq -l shows the job on the queue.
    > After some seconds the job disapear from the queue.
    >
    > Where did it go? Did lpr sent it to /dev/lp0 and, since lp0 has no
    > printer attached, it acts as a /dev/null ?

    I would expect if you put a scope on the parallel port pins you would see the
    activity while it is printing. I assume it 'assumed' an old printer without an
    ACK response. How long it was in the queue determines if you want a makeshift
    /dev/nul If you noticed the amount of time I doubt you want that.

    --
    If the Iraq war were WWII we would have paid for half of it already.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3748

  4. Re: I have no printer, where is lpr printing?

    leoh wrote:

    > I have no printer installed.
    >
    > I have issued the command lpr
    > lpq -l shows the job on the queue.
    > After some seconds the job disapear from the queue.
    >
    > Where did it go? Did lpr sent it to /dev/lp0 and, since lp0 has no
    > printer attached, it acts as a /dev/null ?

    Is there alphabet soup all over the floor?
    This happens when the cable is loose or missing completely.
    It can become quite messy and you could be buried in "soup" pretty fast if
    you are printing a lot pages, so I would try printing only a single page.

    Well, at least the printer is not on fire.

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  5. Re: I have no printer, where is lpr printing?

    Baho Utot wrote:
    > leoh wrote:
    >
    >> I have no printer installed.
    >>
    >> I have issued the command lpr
    >> lpq -l shows the job on the queue.
    >> After some seconds the job disapear from the queue.
    >>
    >> Where did it go? Did lpr sent it to /dev/lp0 and, since lp0 has no
    >> printer attached, it acts as a /dev/null ?

    > Is there alphabet soup all over the floor?
    > This happens when the cable is loose or missing completely.
    > It can become quite messy and you could be buried in "soup" pretty fast if
    > you are printing a lot pages, so I would try printing only a single page.
    >
    > Well, at least the printer is not on fire.

    Never had that..

    My huge HP plotter failed and I got 'man in' to service it. He
    diagnosed overcurrent in the main head motor..he basically cleaned all
    the cigarette ash, dog hairs and dead mice out of it and greased the
    slides with snake oil..it worked!..wonderful two hours of chat as well.
    I never ever got a bill either..

+ Reply to Thread