Problem with configuring Telnet - Setup

This is a discussion on Problem with configuring Telnet - Setup ; Hi ALL, I am trying to establish a mini LAN with a router connected to internet. I have three machines connected to router. All the machines are able to connect to internet. I have linux on two of them and ...

  1. Problem with configuring Telnet

    Hi ALL,

    I am trying to establish a mini LAN with a router connected
    to internet. I have three machines connected to router. All the
    machines are able to connect to internet. I have linux on two of them
    and a windows machine. I am able to ping each of the other machine
    with respective IP address. But the problem is i am not able to
    connect to the linux machines using telnet from windows machine, even
    though xinetd server [telnet server ] is running. nmap reports telnet
    port to be open. But connection is not getting established. I would
    like to know the exact reason for the problem.

    Regards,
    Madhur

  2. Re: Problem with configuring Telnet

    On 21 May 2007 04:34:20 -0700, Madhur wrote:

    > But the problem is i am not able to
    > connect to the linux machines using telnet

    Telnet is unsafe. Data, login and passwords are passed as clear text.
    Use ssh.

    > I would like to know the exact reason for the problem.

    With the inordant amount of information provided and with 300+ linux
    distributions I suggest you read

    Use ssh.

    But if you want the experience of working out the problem,

    Click up a terminal,
    su - root
    tail -f /var/log/messages

    and trying telnet from a terminal session from
    your current node,
    another linux box,
    then windoze
    will give you something to work with.

    Use ssh.

  3. Re: Problem with configuring Telnet

    In comp.os.linux.setup Madhur :
    > Hi ALL,

    > I am trying to establish a mini LAN with a router connected
    > to internet. I have three machines connected to router. All the
    > machines are able to connect to internet. I have linux on two of them
    > and a windows machine. I am able to ping each of the other machine
    > with respective IP address. But the problem is i am not able to
    > connect to the linux machines using telnet from windows machine, even

    Telnet is depreciated, you want to use "ssh" which should work
    from Linux to Linux from the next terminal window out of the box.

    Concerning doze, you want to download "putty" and "winscp" which
    should allow you to work securely from doze.

    [..]

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 235: The new frame relay network hasn't bedded
    down the software loop transmitter yet.

  4. Re: Problem with configuring Telnet

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.setup Madhur :
    >> Hi ALL,

    >> I am trying to establish a mini LAN with a router connected
    >> to internet. I have three machines connected to router. All the
    >> machines are able to connect to internet. I have linux on two of them
    >> and a windows machine. I am able to ping each of the other machine
    >> with respective IP address. But the problem is i am not able to
    >> connect to the linux machines using telnet from windows machine, even

    > Telnet is depreciated, you want to use "ssh" which should work
    > from Linux to Linux from the next terminal window out of the box.

    which probably means that your distro doesn't fire up telnetd by default.

    You may not even have it installed..

    Nothing wrong with telnet if your firewall is up to snuff.

    > Concerning doze, you want to download "putty" and "winscp" which
    > should allow you to work securely from doze.
    >
    > [..]
    >
    > Good luck

  5. Re: Problem with configuring Telnet

    In comp.os.linux.setup The Natural Philosopher :
    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.setup Madhur :

    [ telnet doesn't work? ]

    >> Telnet is depreciated, you want to use "ssh" which should work
    >> from Linux to Linux from the next terminal window out of the box.

    > which probably means that your distro doesn't fire up telnetd by default.
    > You may not even have it installed..

    It's installed and enabled according to the OP, if you care to
    take a look.

    > Nothing wrong with telnet if your firewall is up to snuff.

    If you abandon all the advantages of ssh in exchange for
    insecurity it just means you haven't really worked much with ssh.

    #bofh excuse 96: Vendor no longer supports the product

+ Reply to Thread