download linux server with PHP 4 on windowx xp - Setup

This is a discussion on download linux server with PHP 4 on windowx xp - Setup ; anyone can tell me how and where to download LINUX server with PHP 4 on Windows XP does Linux interefere with Windows thks for your answers...

  1. download linux server with PHP 4 on windowx xp

    anyone can tell me how and where to download LINUX server with PHP 4 on
    Windows XP

    does Linux interefere with Windows

    thks for your answers

  2. Re: download linux server with PHP 4 on windowx xp

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 01:49:09 -0700, cabodream wrote:

    >anyone can tell me how and where to download LINUX server with PHP 4 on
    >Windows XP

    Step 1: pick a distribution. Go to www.linux.org and clock on
    "distributions" to get a clue.

    >does Linux interefere with Windows

    Depends on what you mean by interfere. If you mean on the same box then
    the answer is "yes it interfere's 100% as it replaces windows"
    If you mean "will it interfere with other windows computers on the same
    network" then the answer is "no".

  3. Re: download linux server with PHP 4 on windowx xp

    cabodream writes:
    > does Linux interefere with Windows

    You can install Linux on a computer that already has Microsoft Windows on
    it without any problems and choose which OS to run at boot time. Linux
    will not interfere with or damage your Microsoft Windows installation or
    damage any of your files. You should, of course, make sure your backups
    are current before installing Linux just as you would before making any
    change to your computer.

    AZ Nomad writes:
    > If you mean on the same box then the answer is "yes it interfere's 100%
    > as it replaces windows"

    That statement falsely implies that installing Linux will interfere with
    his Microsoft Windows installation. It will not.

    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  4. Re: download linux server with PHP 4 on windowx xp

    In message <87bqgem9ey.fsf@toncho.dhh.gt.org>
    John Hasler wrote:

    > cabodream writes:
    >> does Linux interefere with Windows

    > You can install Linux on a computer that already has Microsoft Windows on
    > it without any problems and choose which OS to run at boot time. Linux
    > will not interfere with or damage your Microsoft Windows installation or
    > damage any of your files. You should, of course, make sure your backups
    > are current before installing Linux just as you would before making any
    > change to your computer.
    >
    > AZ Nomad writes:
    >> If you mean on the same box then the answer is "yes it interfere's 100%
    >> as it replaces windows"

    > That statement falsely implies that installing Linux will interfere with
    > his Microsoft Windows installation. It will not.

    However if he subsequently uninstalls Linux, he will be inable to boot
    Windows, as Windows is now relying on a piece of Linux to boot it.

    Of course, it isn't difficult to fix, but he ought to know about it.

    --
    Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
    alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk

  5. Re: download linux server with PHP 4 on windowx xp

    On 2007-05-21, AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 May 2007 01:49:09 -0700, cabodream wrote:
    >
    >>does Linux interefere with Windows

    > Depends on what you mean by interfere. If you mean on the same box then
    > the answer is "yes it interfere's 100% as it replaces windows"

    There are many ways of putting linux onto a hard disk without wiping
    Windows off the disk completely. There are even ways of running Windows
    from within linux and vice-versa. You can choose to replace Windows
    with linux, but you can also choose not to.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  6. Re: download linux server with PHP 4 on windowx xp

    On 2007-05-21, Alan Adams wrote:

    > However if he subsequently uninstalls Linux, he will be inable to boot
    > Windows, as Windows is now relying on a piece of Linux to boot it.

    If this is a concern, the OP should use lilo as the bootloader. Lilo
    will happily boot Windows even if all of the former linux filesystems
    have been erased. You are likely talking about grub, which reads its
    config file from a filesystem, usually on one of the linux filesystems
    set up when the distro is installed.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Re: download linux server with PHP 4 on windowx xp

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 11:24:53 -0500, John Hasler wrote:

    >cabodream writes:
    >> does Linux interefere with Windows

    >You can install Linux on a computer that already has Microsoft Windows on
    >it without any problems and choose which OS to run at boot time. Linux
    >will not interfere with or damage your Microsoft Windows installation or
    >damage any of your files. You should, of course, make sure your backups
    >are current before installing Linux just as you would before making any
    >change to your computer.

    >AZ Nomad writes:
    >> If you mean on the same box then the answer is "yes it interfere's 100%
    >> as it replaces windows"

    >That statement falsely implies that installing Linux will interfere with
    >his Microsoft Windows installation. It will not.

    Of course it will. While linux is running, the windows installation will be
    stopped siting dormant on the hard drive.

+ Reply to Thread