upgrading to kernel 2.6.21.1 problem - Setup

This is a discussion on upgrading to kernel 2.6.21.1 problem - Setup ; Hi... I compile my kernels and use original (not patched) kernels. Now i'm upgrading a pc from kernel 2.6.18.2 to 2.6.21.1, that is working also as a router. and whatever i do, i can't have this modules: iptable_nat ip_nat_ftp ip_nat_irc ...

  1. upgrading to kernel 2.6.21.1 problem

    Hi...

    I compile my kernels and use original (not patched) kernels.

    Now i'm upgrading a pc from kernel 2.6.18.2 to 2.6.21.1, that is working
    also as a router. and whatever i do, i can't have this modules:

    iptable_nat
    ip_nat_ftp
    ip_nat_irc
    ip_conntrack_irc
    ip_conntrack_ftp

    so, when i boot with the new kernel i got a lot of errors from the iptables
    rules... NAT doesn't work, and the only way to have internet is shutting
    down the firewall, even doing that, there is no internet in clients that
    use this pc as a router, because nat is not working.

    do you know if this modules have been removed/replaced?

    i use guidedog and guarddog to set my firewall/nat, could this progs have
    became incompatible with this new kernel?

    i'm using then ncurses interface (the make menuconfig) to set the kernel and
    i can't find where this settings are anymore, in the netfilter section
    everything e set to create modules.

    can you help me?

    thanks
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: upgrading to kernel 2.6.21.1 problem

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Hi...
    >
    > I compile my kernels and use original (not patched) kernels.
    >
    > Now i'm upgrading a pc from kernel 2.6.18.2 to 2.6.21.1, that is working
    > also as a router. and whatever i do, i can't have this modules:
    >
    > iptable_nat
    > ip_nat_ftp
    > ip_nat_irc
    > ip_conntrack_irc
    > ip_conntrack_ftp
    >

    > so, when i boot with the new kernel i got a lot of errors from the
    > iptables rules... NAT doesn't work, and the only way to have internet is
    > shutting down the firewall, even doing that, there is no internet in
    > clients that use this pc as a router, because nat is not working.
    >
    > do you know if this modules have been removed/replaced?
    >
    > i use guidedog and guarddog to set my firewall/nat, could this progs have
    > became incompatible with this new kernel?
    >
    > i'm using then ncurses interface (the make menuconfig) to set the kernel
    > and i can't find where this settings are anymore, in the netfilter section
    > everything e set to create modules.
    >
    > can you help me?
    >
    > thanks
    > ArameFarpado

    You should go back into "make menuconfig" and be certain that you allowed
    the building of all relevent iptables modules. The newer kernel you're
    trying to use has a few more modules that you need and... be certain you
    load them at boot time.

    You can check /var/log/messages for the need modules or look over the error
    messages that your iptable scripts generate...

    --

    Jerry McBride

  3. Re: upgrading to kernel 2.6.21.1 problem

    Hi, thanks and sorry for the late reply, i've been running lots of
    experiments here, as i have time avaiable.

    Em Segunda, 21 de Maio de 2007 02:17, Jerry McBride escreveu:

    > You should go back into "make menuconfig" and be certain that you allowed
    > the building of all relevent iptables modules. The newer kernel you're
    > trying to use has a few more modules that you need and... be certain you
    > load them at boot time.

    Actualy some modules have been renamed:
    ip_nat_ftp and ip_nat_irc are now nf_nat_ftp and nf_nat_irc
    and so the same changes in ip_conntrack_xxx

    The "network options" in the kernel config is getting more and more
    complicated, it would be great if the helps in that section would give us
    the module name that will be created, like the most options in "device
    drivers". The "network options" section is becaming too complex and it
    should have better helping texts... that's my opinion.

    Anyway, i've net, nat and almost everything running now
    somewow, the system have adapted to the new module naming.

    i have now a weird situation with one program that worked fine in 2.6.18 and
    now is not working right, and i have yet to test my firewire interface...
    other than that, the rest seems fine now.

    > You can check /var/log/messages for the need modules or look over the
    > error messages that your iptable scripts generate...

    Humm... module doesn't exist lots a lots of times

    Thanks again for your reply
    ArameFarpado

+ Reply to Thread