C++ compiler cannot create executables - Setup

This is a discussion on C++ compiler cannot create executables - Setup ; I'm new to Linux. I have a copy of Red Hat Enterprise 5 that I am trying to install libmcrypt on. I downloaded libmcrypt-2.5.8.tar.gz and extracted it. I tried to ./configure libmcrypt and got this message: checking for C++ compiler ...

  1. C++ compiler cannot create executables

    I'm new to Linux. I have a copy of Red Hat Enterprise 5 that I am
    trying to install libmcrypt on.
    I downloaded libmcrypt-2.5.8.tar.gz and extracted it.
    I tried to ./configure libmcrypt and got this message:
    checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
    error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.

    This is odd, because I have not had problems configuring other files.
    Complete output from ./configure is at the bottom of this post.

    My config.log file is here:
    www.osbornewood.com/config.log

    After searching the web, I found a couple of things to try:
    # g++
    bash: g++: command not found
    # ./g++
    bash: ./g++: No such file or directory
    # gcc
    gcc: no input files

    I'm not sure where to go from here. Any pointers?

    [root@w libmcrypt-2.5.8]# ./configure
    checking build system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    checking target system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    checking for gawk... gawk
    checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
    Makefiles... no
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
    checking for g++... no
    checking for c++... no
    checking for gpp... no
    checking for aCC... no
    checking for CC... no
    checking for cxx... no
    checking for cc++... no
    checking for cl... no
    checking for FCC... no
    checking for KCC... no
    checking for RCC... no
    checking for xlC_r... no
    checking for xlC... no
    checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
    error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.

  2. Re: C++ compiler cannot create executables

    Matthew256 wrote:
    > I'm new to Linux. I have a copy of Red Hat Enterprise 5 that I am
    > trying to install libmcrypt on.

    Normally, you would download an rpm for libmcrypt from Red Hat, but that
    library is not supported on RHEL5.

    > I downloaded libmcrypt-2.5.8.tar.gz and extracted it.
    > I tried to ./configure libmcrypt and got this message:
    > checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
    > error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    > See `config.log' for more details.
    >
    > This is odd, because I have not had problems configuring other files.
    > Complete output from ./configure is at the bottom of this post.
    >
    > My config.log file is here:
    > www.osbornewood.com/config.log
    >
    > After searching the web, I found a couple of things to try:
    > # g++
    > bash: g++: command not found
    > # ./g++
    > bash: ./g++: No such file or directory
    > # gcc
    > gcc: no input files
    >
    > I'm not sure where to go from here. Any pointers?
    >
    > [root@w libmcrypt-2.5.8]# ./configure
    > checking build system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    > checking host system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    > checking target system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    > checking for gawk... gawk
    > checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
    > Makefiles... no
    > checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
    > checking for g++... no
    > checking for c++... no
    > checking for gpp... no
    > checking for aCC... no
    > checking for CC... no
    > checking for cxx... no
    > checking for cc++... no
    > checking for cl... no
    > checking for FCC... no
    > checking for KCC... no
    > checking for RCC... no
    > checking for xlC_r... no
    > checking for xlC... no
    > checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
    > error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    > See `config.log' for more details.

    Did you look in config.log for more details?

    ^^-^^ 09:50:01 up 2 days, 33 min, 3 users, load average: 4.47, 4.38, 4.28

  3. Re: C++ compiler cannot create executables

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > Matthew256 wrote:
    >> I'm new to Linux. I have a copy of Red Hat Enterprise 5 that I am
    >> trying to install libmcrypt on.

    > Normally, you would download an rpm for libmcrypt from Red Hat, but that
    > library is not supported on RHEL5.
    >
    >> I downloaded libmcrypt-2.5.8.tar.gz and extracted it.
    >> I tried to ./configure libmcrypt and got this message:
    >> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
    >> error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    >> See `config.log' for more details.
    >>
    >> This is odd, because I have not had problems configuring other files.
    >> Complete output from ./configure is at the bottom of this post.
    >>
    >> My config.log file is here:
    >> www.osbornewood.com/config.log
    >>
    >> After searching the web, I found a couple of things to try:
    >> # g++
    >> bash: g++: command not found
    >> # ./g++
    >> bash: ./g++: No such file or directory
    >> # gcc
    >> gcc: no input files
    >>
    >> I'm not sure where to go from here. Any pointers?
    >>
    >> [root@w libmcrypt-2.5.8]# ./configure
    >> checking build system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    >> checking host system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    >> checking target system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    >> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    >> checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    >> checking for gawk... gawk
    >> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    >> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
    >> Makefiles... no
    >> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
    >> checking for g++... no
    >> checking for c++... no
    >> checking for gpp... no
    >> checking for aCC... no
    >> checking for CC... no
    >> checking for cxx... no
    >> checking for cc++... no
    >> checking for cl... no
    >> checking for FCC... no
    >> checking for KCC... no
    >> checking for RCC... no
    >> checking for xlC_r... no
    >> checking for xlC... no
    >> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
    >> error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    >> See `config.log' for more details.
    >>

    > Did you look in config.log for more details?

    P.S.: Looks like you do not have the c compiler installed.

    ^^-^^ 10:55:01 up 2 days, 1:38, 3 users, load average: 4.01, 4.10, 4.18

  4. Re: C++ compiler cannot create executables

    Matthew256 wrote:
    > I'm new to Linux. I have a copy of Red Hat Enterprise 5 that I am
    > trying to install libmcrypt on.
    > I downloaded libmcrypt-2.5.8.tar.gz and extracted it.
    > I tried to ./configure libmcrypt and got this message:
    > checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
    > error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    > See `config.log' for more details.
    >
    > This is odd, because I have not had problems configuring other files.
    > Complete output from ./configure is at the bottom of this post.
    >
    > My config.log file is here:
    > www.osbornewood.com/config.log
    >
    > After searching the web, I found a couple of things to try:
    > # g++
    > bash: g++: command not found
    > # ./g++
    > bash: ./g++: No such file or directory
    > # gcc
    > gcc: no input files
    >
    > I'm not sure where to go from here. Any pointers?
    >
    > [root@w libmcrypt-2.5.8]# ./configure
    > checking build system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    > checking host system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    > checking target system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
    > checking for gawk... gawk
    > checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
    > Makefiles... no
    > checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
    > checking for g++... no
    > checking for c++... no
    > checking for gpp... no
    > checking for aCC... no
    > checking for CC... no
    > checking for cxx... no
    > checking for cc++... no
    > checking for cl... no
    > checking for FCC... no
    > checking for KCC... no
    > checking for RCC... no
    > checking for xlC_r... no
    > checking for xlC... no
    > checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
    > error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    > See `config.log' for more details.

    Why not keep it simple? Run yum install to install the package:

    $> yum install libmcrypt

    Red Hat's already made the rpm package for you, at least I'm sure Fedora
    has it so I'd think Enterprise might have it.

    $> yum info libmcrypt (as run from Fedora core 6 host)
    Setting up repositories
    Excluding Packages in global exclude list
    Finished
    Available Packages
    Name : libmcrypt
    Arch : i386
    Version: 2.5.7
    Release: 5.fc6
    Size : 123 k
    Repo : fedora extras
    Libmcrypt is a thread-safe library providing a uniform interface
    to access several block and stream encryption algorithms.

    Mark

  5. Re: C++ compiler cannot create executables

    > Why not keep it simple? Run yum install to install the package:
    >
    > $> yum install libmcrypt

    Good call!
    I added a couple of repositories before it would work, but it's
    installed now.

    I tried to install the PHP extension like so:
    > Next, compile the mcrypt dynamic module. From PHP source tree of the current version of PHP running on your server:

    # cd ext/mcrypt
    # phpize
    # aclocal
    # ./configure
    checking for libmcrypt version... configure: error: libmcrypt version
    2.5.6 or greater required.

    # yum info libmcrypt
    Name : libmcrypt
    Arch : i386
    Version: 2.4.22

    This was the repository that I got the package from:

    [freshrpms]
    name=Red Hat Linux 9 - Freshrpms
    baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/redhat/9/i386/freshrpms

    Is there a better one to use?

    Thanks!

    Matthew

  6. Re: C++ compiler cannot create executables

    > checking for libmcrypt version... configure: error: libmcrypt version
    > 2.5.6 or greater required.

    Doh! My mind disengaged for a moment there.
    I did a quick Google for libmcrypt rpm and came up with this site:
    dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/libmcrypt/

    It worked like a charm.

    On another note, I couldn't figure out how to add it as a repository
    to Yum.
    http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/FAQ.php#B4
    > The configuration of Yum is inside the rpmforge-release package. You need to install it yourself.

    I installed rpmforge-release but that didn't seem to add it to /etc/
    yum.conf

    Any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread