Minuteman's Production server. your provider's email server sends a message back to the Production server. - Setup

This is a discussion on Minuteman's Production server. your provider's email server sends a message back to the Production server. - Setup ; Our management team at Minuteman Library Network failed to remedy difficulty with the network, would any of you kind folks out there have any hints, tips or pointers?... _ _ _ _ _ Cambridge Public Library http://cambridgema.gov/cpl _ _ _ ...

  1. Minuteman's Production server. your provider's email server sends a message back to the Production server.

    Our management team at Minuteman Library Network failed to remedy
    difficulty with the network, would any of you kind folks out
    there have any hints, tips or pointers?...

    _ _ _ _ _ Cambridge Public Library http://cambridgema.gov/cpl _ _ _ _ _
    The problem is when the Production server sends an email notice
    to your provider, your provider's email server sends a message back
    to the Production server to verify that it is a legitimate email
    server.

    Because this is Minuteman's Production server and is not really an
    email server, they block those types of queries at the firewall.

    _ _ _ _ _ Example. Notice. Minuteman Library Network http://www.mln.lib.ma.us _ _ _ _ _

    (from camtel at localhost)
    by library.minlib.net (8.9.3p3-20030923/8.9.1) id AAA03306

    <200705190423.AAA03306 at library.minlib.net>

    Subject: Library Notice
    camreturns at minlib.net

    CAMBRIDGE PUBLIC LIBRARY NOW OPEN AT THE LONGFELLOW SCHOOL
    359 BROADWAY
    CAMBRIDGE MA 02139-4125 Sat May 19 2007
    617-349-4040 http://www.cambridgema.gov/CPL/hours/libhours.html

    Requested Item(s) Ready for Pickup
    The item that you requested is now being held for you at the library.
    Bring this library card to pick up the item by the Pickup Date below.
    Some libraries may charge for unclaimed requested items.

    AUTHOR:
    TITLE: The legend of 1900
    CALL NO: DVD LEGEND OF 190
    BARCODE: 34868004907812
    LOCATION: WATERTOWN/Audiovisual
    PICKUP AT: Cambridge M BY: 05-29-07

    3:1

    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Their test email said:

    .... which I'm assuming is going to be their envelope sender.

    Let's get their authoritative nameservers:

    host -t ns library.minlib.net
    library.minlib.net name server ns3.ctccom.net.
    library.minlib.net name server ns4.ctccom.net.

    Alright -- now let's ask each of them who the MX is for the domain
    library.minlib.net:

    host -t mx library.minlib.net ns4.ctccom.net
    Using domain server:
    Name: ns4.ctccom.net
    Address: 64.69.100.35#53
    Aliases:

    library.minlib.net mail is handled by 10 mail.library.minlib.net.
    host -t mx library.minlib.net ns3.ctccom.net
    Using domain server:
    Name: ns3.ctccom.net
    Address: 64.69.100.67#53
    Aliases:

    library.minlib.net mail is handled by 10 mail.library.minlib.net.

    Great. Now what's mail.library.minlib.net?

    host mail.library.minlib.net ns3.ctccom.net
    Using domain server:
    Name: ns3.ctccom.net
    Address: 64.69.100.67#53
    Aliases:

    mail.library.minlib.net has address 64.69.127.2

    Let's contact it...

    telnet 64.69.127.2 25
    Trying 64.69.127.2...

    That's why sender verification fails.

    _ _ _ _ _ webmaster@minlib.net webmaster at minlib.net _ _ _ _ _
    We've double checked and it appears that your email address is correctly
    entered in our system with no errors, spaces or other characters. We've
    checked our mail logs and they indicate that mail is being successfully sent
    to your email address. However, the logs also indicate that your mail
    server appears to be trying to validate our server by looking for a server
    named "mail.minlib.net". This is not the name of our server, email is sent
    from the catalog from a server named "minlib.net". So, your mail server
    will not be able to verify us if it keeps using that name.

    We recommend that you contact the administrator of your mail server to look
    into why your server would be blocking emails from minlib.net. If it
    possible for you to put minlib.net on your "whitelist" this may possibly
    solve this issue.

    Alternately, you may want to use another email address as your main email
    contact for emails coming from MLN. You can change your email address by
    going to: https://library.minlib.net/patroninfo/ and entering your barcode
    and PIN. Once logged in, choose "Modify Personal Information" and update
    your Email address.

    Additionally, just to make you aware of how the system handles email
    notices. When your items comes to your library to be picked up the system
    queues an email notice to send to you (but it doesn't yet send it). The
    email notice will be sent overnight. However, if you pick up your item
    during that day, the system will remove your email notice from the queue.
    So, sometimes it may seem as if you should have been notified about items,
    but since you picked them up the system no longer notifies you about that
    item.
    Webmaster
    Minuteman Library Network
    http://www.mln.lib.ma.us/

  2. Re: Minuteman's Production server. your provider's email server sends a message back to the Production server.

    In comp.os.linux.setup Don Saklad :
    > Our management team at Minuteman Library Network failed to remedy
    > difficulty with the network, would any of you kind folks out
    > there have any hints, tips or pointers?...

    Could you please learn how to cross-post instead of multi posting
    to any ng under the sun?

    Thx

    #bofh excuse 269: Melting hard drives

+ Reply to Thread