RTFM'd, Still Having Trouble with FC6 Kernel Sources - Setup

This is a discussion on RTFM'd, Still Having Trouble with FC6 Kernel Sources - Setup ; I've gone through pretty much everything I can find in Google, the FC6 Release Notes, and the notes (better than the FC6 Release Notes IMCO) at http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html and am still having trouble with FC6 kernel sources. I need to be ...

  1. RTFM'd, Still Having Trouble with FC6 Kernel Sources

    I've gone through pretty much everything I can find in Google, the FC6
    Release Notes, and the notes (better than the FC6 Release Notes IMCO) at
    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html and am still having
    trouble with FC6 kernel sources.

    I need to be SURE that I have a configuration that EXACTLY matches, in
    every detail, my running kernel which is 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen (the
    default out-of-the-box kernel for FC6). At the very least,
    CONFIG_LOCALVERSION in my running kernel was set to append "xen" on the
    end of the version number (so that uname -r says 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen). In
    the configs/kernel-2.6.18-i686-xen.config file, which is claimed to be the
    config file that built my running kernel, CONFIG_LOCALVERSION is not set.
    Now, I realize that this is inconsequential to the running kernel, but if
    that parameter isn't set the same, who knows what else isn't set the same?

    Surely there must be a way...

  2. Re: RTFM'd, Still Having Trouble with FC6 Kernel Sources

    Eric wrote:

    >I've gone through pretty much everything I can find in Google, the FC6
    >Release Notes, and the notes (better than the FC6 Release Notes IMCO) at
    >http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html and am still having
    >trouble with FC6 kernel sources.
    >
    >I need to be SURE that I have a configuration that EXACTLY matches, in
    >every detail, my running kernel which is 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen (the
    >default out-of-the-box kernel for FC6). At the very least,
    >CONFIG_LOCALVERSION in my running kernel was set to append "xen" on the
    >end of the version number (so that uname -r says 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen). In
    >the configs/kernel-2.6.18-i686-xen.config file, which is claimed to be the
    >config file that built my running kernel, CONFIG_LOCALVERSION is not set.
    >Now, I realize that this is inconsequential to the running kernel, but if
    >that parameter isn't set the same, who knows what else isn't set the same?
    >
    >Surely there must be a way...

    The config file should be in your /boot directory. As in:

    /boot/config-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen

    Good luck,

    Steve

  3. Re: RTFM'd, Still Having Trouble with FC6 Kernel Sources

    On Fri, 18 May 2007 13:18:55 -0400, Steve Cousins wrote:

    > The config file should be in your /boot directory. As in:
    >
    > /boot/config-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen

    Ah, so it is.

    However... that config file (which turns out to be identical to the
    configs/kernel-2.6.18-i686-xen.config file except for a few comments like
    date stamps) also does not include "xen" in CONFIG_LOCAL_VERSION. Isn't
    that where the "xen" in "2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen" comes from? That still
    leaves the question... if CONFIG_LOCAL_VERSION is different, what else is
    different?

  4. Re: RTFM'd, Still Having Trouble with FC6 Kernel Sources

    Eric wrote:
    > I need to be SURE that I have a configuration that EXACTLY matches, in
    > every detail, my running kernel which is 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen (the
    > default out-of-the-box kernel for FC6). At the very least,
    > CONFIG_LOCALVERSION in my running kernel was set to append "xen" on the
    > end of the version number (so that uname -r says 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen). In
    > the configs/kernel-2.6.18-i686-xen.config file, which is claimed to be the
    > config file that built my running kernel, CONFIG_LOCALVERSION is not set.
    > Now, I realize that this is inconsequential to the running kernel, but if
    > that parameter isn't set the same, who knows what else isn't set the same?

    I don't know much about kernel-making,
    but is the name of the kernel likely to be specified in the .config file?
    I would have thought it was more likely to be implemented
    in /sbin/kernelinstall .

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366