video/wireless devices for FC6 on Dell laptop; recommendations? - Setup

This is a discussion on video/wireless devices for FC6 on Dell laptop; recommendations? - Setup ; One of my users is getting a new Dell laptop that he wants to run FC6, and he's very nervous about the video and wireless network devices working. His options for video are: > Mobil Intel GMA X3100 > Nvidia ...

  1. video/wireless devices for FC6 on Dell laptop; recommendations?

    One of my users is getting a new Dell laptop that he wants to run FC6,
    and he's very nervous about the video and wireless network devices
    working.

    His options for video are:
    > Mobil Intel GMA X3100
    > Nvidia quadro NVS with TurboCache
    > Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    > ATI Radeon Xpress X1270 Integrated Graphics
    > ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 with 256 MB

    His options for wireless are:
    > Intel Pro Wireless 4965
    > Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    > Dell Wireless 1505
    > Dell Wireless 1390
    > Dell Wireless 1490

    Any thoughts/experience re what's good and what's not?

    Thanks,
    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: video/wireless devices for FC6 on Dell laptop; recommendations?

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:39:34 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > One of my users is getting a new Dell laptop that he wants to run FC6,
    > and he's very nervous about the video and wireless network devices
    > working.
    >
    > His options for video are:
    >> Mobil Intel GMA X3100
    >> Nvidia quadro NVS with TurboCache
    >> Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    >> ATI Radeon Xpress X1270 Integrated Graphics ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 with
    >> 256 MB

    > His options for wireless are:
    >> Intel Pro Wireless 4965
    >> Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    >> Dell Wireless 1505
    >> Dell Wireless 1390
    >> Dell Wireless 1490

    > Any thoughts/experience re what's good and what's not?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Richard Vaughn

    Intel for wireless, Nvidia or Intel for graphics.

  3. Re: video/wireless devices for FC6 on Dell laptop; recommendations?

    [ excessive crossposting trimmed ]
    Richard Vaughn staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Mobil Intel GMA X3100
    > Nvidia quadro NVS with TurboCache
    > Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    > ATI Radeon Xpress X1270 Integrated Graphics
    > ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 with 256 MB

    Stay away from the ATI stuff if you can. While it's possible to use
    fglrx and get decent results, it's a lot more finicky than the nvidia
    modules IME. The 1270 and 1150 are not mentioned in the man page for
    radeon for Xorg 7.1.1, which may mean they won't work right even with
    just 2D. (7.2 may have fixed this.) The i950 could work OK, but it
    could also require the 915resolution package or something similar to get
    it to work well. The most hassle-free thing here might be to go with
    the nvidia card and the evil binary-only modules.

    > Intel Pro Wireless 4965
    > Intel Pro Wireless 3945
    > Dell Wireless 1505
    > Dell Wireless 1390
    > Dell Wireless 1490

    ipw3945 is supported AFAICT, just make sure you get the firmware from
    http://www.bughost.org/ipw3945/ . The others... may require a lot of
    fiddling with ndiswrapper and other hairy things. I don't even see any
    packages for the ipw4965 in a recently-synced portage tree, which is
    troubling. Ah well, HTH,

    --
    That no man lives forever, / That dead men rise up never,
    That even the weariest river / Winds somewhere safe to sea.

  4. Re: video/wireless devices for FC6 on Dell laptop; recommendations?

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    [putolin]

    >> Dell Wireless 1390

    I have a DELL Inspiron 1505 with a Dell Wireless 1390, the wireless works
    well with ndiswrapper-1.39. I use the R140747 windows driver firmware.

    It also has an ATI graphics card (integrated). I use the ATI Catalyst
    drivers and it works for me.

    I run FC6 on it, You need to pass pnpbios=off pnpapci=off pci=nomsi to get
    it to install FC6 and also when it boots (added to the kernel line in
    grub). If you don't pass at least pci=nomsi it will not find the hard
    drive (it is SATA) and report no harddrive at installation, without the
    pnpbios and pnpacpi it finds the hard drive as generic IDE and not SATA.
    You can also get it to install FC6 by passing all-generic-ide at the boot
    prompt.

    Passing all-generic-ide is the easy way to install FC/Centos, but the
    harddrive runs as IDE and is a bit slower than if you run it as the SATA
    that it is. You can switch after the install by edit grubs menu.lst (for
    kernel params) and fstab to change the drives from IDE (/dev/hdax) to SATA
    (/dev/sdax).

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  5. Re: video/wireless devices for FC6 on Dell laptop; recommendations?

    In alt.comp.linux Richard Vaughn wrote:

    >> Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

    Ok, this appears to be supported by open source DRI drivers. I have not
    tested this personally, but if it works, this would be the card of choice. I
    would try and find someone who has a similar laptop, and test it with a live
    CD. The other cards do not have open source 3d support at this time, as far as
    I can tell, so I would avoid these at this time.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley