From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ? - Setup

This is a discussion on From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ? - Setup ; I remember the main trick is to transfer a mail message from Mozilla to mailx; and mailx does the job via sendmail as usual. That way we send mails from Mozilla via _our_ little sendmail (or emulations such as those ...

  1. From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ?

    I remember the main trick is to transfer a mail message from Mozilla
    to mailx; and mailx does the job via sendmail as usual. That way we
    send mails from Mozilla via _our_ little sendmail (or emulations such
    as those found in Exim, Postfix etc...) without open TCP port 25.
    Please post if someone knows how to do it.

    On a (former ?) linuxhelp forum few weeks ago I found an explanation
    on how to enable sending e-mails from Mozilla via Sendmail MTA, just
    like we would would do from Pine or Mutt, or CLI mailer Mailx. The
    page was here: http://www.usenetlinux.com/archive/t.../t-313964.html
    but when I finally found some free time and sat down to make it, for
    some reason the page is no longer available.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ?

    Phas wrote:
    > I remember the main trick is to transfer a mail message from Mozilla
    > to mailx; and mailx does the job via sendmail as usual. That way we
    > send mails from Mozilla via _our_ little sendmail (or emulations such
    > as those found in Exim, Postfix etc...) without open TCP port 25.
    > Please post if someone knows how to do it.
    >

    > On a (former ?) linuxhelp forum few weeks ago I found an explanation
    > on how to enable sending e-mails from Mozilla via Sendmail MTA, just
    > like we would would do from Pine or Mutt, or CLI mailer Mailx. The
    > page was here: http://www.usenetlinux.com/archive/t.../t-313964.html
    > but when I finally found some free time and sat down to make it, for
    > some reason the page is no longer available.
    >
    > Thank you.

    open port 25 is only necessary for receiving mail not sending it.

    Simply disable the sendmail daemon. You can still invoke the program to
    send mail ..

  3. Re: From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ?

    On May 14, 4:59 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Phas wrote:
    > > I remember the main trick is to transfer a mail message from Mozilla
    > > to mailx; and mailx does the job via sendmail as usual. That way we
    > > send mails from Mozilla via _our_ little sendmail (or emulations such
    > > as those found in Exim, Postfix etc...) without open TCP port 25.
    > > Please post if someone knows how to do it.

    > > On a (former ?) linuxhelp forum few weeks ago I found an explanation
    > > on how to enable sending e-mails from Mozilla via Sendmail MTA, just
    > > like we would would do from Pine or Mutt, or CLI mailer Mailx. The
    > > page was here:http://www.usenetlinux.com/archive/t.../t-313964.html
    > > but when I finally found some free time and sat down to make it, for
    > > some reason the page is no longer available.

    > > Thank you.

    > open port 25 is only necessary for receiving mail not sending it.
    >
    > Simply disable the sendmail daemon. You can still invoke the program to
    > send mail ..

    Yes, I know that, my sendmail works good as MTA; the trouble is
    Mozilla mailer (now known as Seamonkey) can not use MTA sendmail just
    like that, as Pine mailer. Mozilla wants to have SMTP that listens on
    a port 25 in order to deliver mail any further, either ISP's mail
    server or localhost server, AND it always wants a port 25. It's not my
    fault, I didn't design Mozilla.

    There is a way to use sendmail as MTA from Mozilla, via mailx. The
    question is hust - how ?

  4. Re: From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ?

    Phas wrote:
    > On May 14, 4:59 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >> Phas wrote:
    >>> I remember the main trick is to transfer a mail message from Mozilla
    >>> to mailx; and mailx does the job via sendmail as usual. That way we
    >>> send mails from Mozilla via _our_ little sendmail (or emulations such
    >>> as those found in Exim, Postfix etc...) without open TCP port 25.
    >>> Please post if someone knows how to do it.
    >>> On a (former ?) linuxhelp forum few weeks ago I found an explanation
    >>> on how to enable sending e-mails from Mozilla via Sendmail MTA, just
    >>> like we would would do from Pine or Mutt, or CLI mailer Mailx. The
    >>> page was here:http://www.usenetlinux.com/archive/t.../t-313964.html
    >>> but when I finally found some free time and sat down to make it, for
    >>> some reason the page is no longer available.
    >>> Thank you.

    >> open port 25 is only necessary for receiving mail not sending it.
    >>
    >> Simply disable the sendmail daemon. You can still invoke the program to
    >> send mail ..

    > Yes, I know that, my sendmail works good as MTA; the trouble is
    > Mozilla mailer (now known as Seamonkey) can not use MTA sendmail just
    > like that, as Pine mailer. Mozilla wants to have SMTP that listens on
    > a port 25 in order to deliver mail any further, either ISP's mail
    > server or localhost server, AND it always wants a port 25. It's not my
    > fault, I didn't design Mozilla.

    How odd.

    ISWTM tho.

    > There is a way to use sendmail as MTA from Mozilla, via mailx. The
    > question is hust - how ?

    Pretty odd, because Mozilla in its windows incarnation, is a self
    contained SMTP transmitter..and obviously so it is in this case.. maybe
    you just have to tell it to 'go direct' and not use the local host as an
    SMTP relay.

  5. Re: From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ?

    On May 15, 1:35 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Phas wrote:
    > >> open port 25 is only necessary for receiving mail not sending it.

    > >> Simply disable the sendmail daemon. You can still invoke the program to
    > >> send mail ..

    > > Yes, I know that, my sendmail works good as MTA; the trouble is
    > > Mozilla mailer (now known as Seamonkey) can not use MTA sendmail just
    > > like that, as Pine mailer. Mozilla wants to have SMTP that listens on
    > > a port 25 in order to deliver mail any further, either ISP's mail
    > > server or localhost server, AND it always wants a port 25. It's not my
    > > fault, I didn't design Mozilla.

    > How odd.
    >
    > ISWTM tho.
    >
    > > There is a way to use sendmail as MTA from Mozilla, via mailx. The
    > > question is hust - how ?

    > Pretty odd, because Mozilla in its windows incarnation, is a self
    > contained SMTP transmitter..and obviously so it is in this case.. maybe
    > you just have to tell it to 'go direct' and not use the local host as an
    > SMTP relay.

    Yes, exactly, the goal is to use Sendmail, and not SMTP. It's just
    how ? as asked in the very first post.

  6. Re: From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ?

    On May 15, 1:35 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Phas wrote:
    > >> open port 25 is only necessary for receiving mail not sending it.

    > >> Simply disable the sendmail daemon. You can still invoke the program to
    > >> send mail ..

    > > Yes, I know that, my sendmail works good as MTA; the trouble is
    > > Mozilla mailer (now known as Seamonkey) can not use MTA sendmail just
    > > like that, as Pine mailer. Mozilla wants to have SMTP that listens on
    > > a port 25 in order to deliver mail any further, either ISP's mail
    > > server or localhost server, AND it always wants a port 25. It's not my
    > > fault, I didn't design Mozilla.

    > How odd.
    >
    > ISWTM tho.
    >
    > > There is a way to use sendmail as MTA from Mozilla, via mailx. The
    > > question is hust - how ?

    > Pretty odd, because Mozilla in its windows incarnation, is a self
    > contained SMTP transmitter..

    Are you telling in Windows you do not need to specify an SMTP server
    in Mozilla mailer, like smtp.yourisp.com, in order to send e-mails
    from Mozilla/Seamoneky ?

  7. Re: From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ?

    Phas wrote:
    > On May 15, 1:35 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >> Phas wrote:
    >>> Yes, I know that, my sendmail works good as MTA; the trouble is
    >>> Mozilla mailer (now known as Seamonkey) can not use MTA sendmail just
    >>> like that, as Pine mailer. Mozilla wants to have SMTP that listens on
    >>> a port 25 in order to deliver mail any further, either ISP's mail
    >>> server or localhost server, AND it always wants a port 25. It's not my
    >>> fault, I didn't design Mozilla.

    >> How odd.
    >>
    >> ISWTM tho.
    >>
    >>> There is a way to use sendmail as MTA from Mozilla, via mailx. The
    >>> question is hust - how ?

    >> Pretty odd, because Mozilla in its windows incarnation, is a self
    >> contained SMTP transmitter..and obviously so it is in this case.. maybe
    >> you just have to tell it to 'go direct' and not use the local host as an
    >> SMTP relay.

    > Yes, exactly, the goal is to use Sendmail, and not SMTP. It's just
    > how ? as asked in the very first post.

    Er no., the goal is to use direct SMTP rather than relaying through the
    local host via the sendmail daemon.

    Or invoke sendmail as a shell, but why bother?

  8. Re: From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ?

    Phas wrote:
    > On May 15, 1:35 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >> Phas wrote:
    >>> Yes, I know that, my sendmail works good as MTA; the trouble is
    >>> Mozilla mailer (now known as Seamonkey) can not use MTA sendmail just
    >>> like that, as Pine mailer. Mozilla wants to have SMTP that listens on
    >>> a port 25 in order to deliver mail any further, either ISP's mail
    >>> server or localhost server, AND it always wants a port 25. It's not my
    >>> fault, I didn't design Mozilla.

    >> How odd.
    >>
    >> ISWTM tho.
    >>
    >>> There is a way to use sendmail as MTA from Mozilla, via mailx. The
    >>> question is hust - how ?

    >> Pretty odd, because Mozilla in its windows incarnation, is a self
    >> contained SMTP transmitter..

    > Are you telling in Windows you do not need to specify an SMTP server
    > in Mozilla mailer, like smtp.yourisp.com, in order to send e-mails
    > from Mozilla/Seamoneky ?

    Mmm. I'm not sure.

    Oh. You are of course correct. It uses your ISP's relay..I was forgetting.

    Which is one way round the 'security hole' the OP was complaining of..

    Doesn;t seem to allow selection of a private port either.

  9. Re: From Mozilla to Mailx and Sendmail ?

    On May 15, 11:23 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Phas wrote:
    > >> How odd.

    > >> ISWTM tho.

    > >> Pretty odd, becauseMozillain its windows incarnation, is a self
    > >> contained SMTP transmitter..and obviously so it is in this case.. maybe
    > >> you just have to tell it to 'go direct' and not use the local host as an
    > >> SMTP relay.

    > > Yes, exactly, the goal is to useSendmail, and not SMTP. It's just
    > > how ? as asked in the very first post.

    > Er no., the goal is to use direct SMTP rather than relaying through the
    > local host via thesendmaildaemon.

    That's maybe the goal, but I was asking something completely
    different, if someone knows how to...

    Thanks anyway.

+ Reply to Thread