Video Problem installing FC6 on P4 - Setup

This is a discussion on Video Problem installing FC6 on P4 - Setup ; I am having some difficulty getting Fedora Core 6 to install and run. Computer is a Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz, with 256 MB RAM. System will boot up from the DVD and go through the installation process, but then when ...

  1. Video Problem installing FC6 on P4

    I am having some difficulty getting Fedora Core 6 to install and run.

    Computer is a Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz, with 256 MB RAM.

    System will boot up from the DVD and go through the installation process,
    but then when it reboots and goes through its first startup, it fails
    starting the X server.

    I have tried it with every video card I have, including some (e.g. Matrox)
    that are known to work well with Linux, and have tried re-installing the
    basic FC6 set each time, and it just won't start X on first startup.
    Video cards I have include PCI and AGP, and I have reconfigured the BIOS
    each time I change from PCI to AGP and back again.

    Failure indication varies with video card; sometimes it just hangs,
    sometimes the screen goes blank while it is doing who-knows-what in the
    background, and sometimes it tells me it can't start the X server and
    offers to reconfigure me a new one (which also fails).

    What kinds of things other than the video card can cause this
    and what can I do about it?

  2. Re: Video Problem installing FC6 on P4

    Eric wrote:
    > I am having some difficulty getting Fedora Core 6 to install and run.
    >
    > Computer is a Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz, with 256 MB RAM.
    >
    > System will boot up from the DVD and go through the installation process,
    > but then when it reboots and goes through its first startup, it fails
    > starting the X server.
    >
    > I have tried it with every video card I have, including some (e.g. Matrox)
    > that are known to work well with Linux, and have tried re-installing the
    > basic FC6 set each time, and it just won't start X on first startup.
    > Video cards I have include PCI and AGP, and I have reconfigured the BIOS
    > each time I change from PCI to AGP and back again.
    >
    > Failure indication varies with video card; sometimes it just hangs,
    > sometimes the screen goes blank while it is doing who-knows-what in the
    > background, and sometimes it tells me it can't start the X server and
    > offers to reconfigure me a new one (which also fails).
    >
    > What kinds of things other than the video card can cause this
    > and what can I do about it?

    Are you saying it will not start automatically or that startx does not work?

    --
    The damage done by counterfeiting is negligible compared to inflation but
    only the former is illegal.

  3. Re: Video Problem installing FC6 on P4

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:33:26 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > Are you saying it will not start automatically or that startx does not
    > work?

    By default it starts up in runlevel 5 which means that X starts up
    automatically. That is what doesn't work. But, I have also tried editing
    inittab to runlevel 3 and then using startx, and that doesn't work either,
    with no real indication why not (in the startx output messages).

  4. Re: Video Problem installing FC6 on P4

    Eric a écrit :
    > I am having some difficulty getting Fedora Core 6 to install and run.
    >
    > Computer is a Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz, with 256 MB RAM.
    >
    > System will boot up from the DVD and go through the installation process,
    > but then when it reboots and goes through its first startup, it fails
    > starting the X server.

    did you look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log ? What does it say?

    --
    François Patte
    Université Paris 5 - Paris

  5. Re: Video Problem installing FC6 on P4

    Eric wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:33:26 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >> Are you saying it will not start automatically or that startx does not
    >> work?

    > By default it starts up in runlevel 5 which means that X starts up
    > automatically. That is what doesn't work. But, I have also tried editing
    > inittab to runlevel 3 and then using startx, and that doesn't work either,
    > with no real indication why not (in the startx output messages).

    Can you capture and post the messages you do get? Maybe then someone can figure
    which operation is not completing or starting.

    --
    The last gasp of the war party is still saying Americans died in Iraq
    defending our freedoms. What an amazing piece of bull****.

  6. Re: Video Problem installing FC6 on P4

    Eric wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:33:26 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >> Are you saying it will not start automatically or that startx does not
    >> work?

    > By default it starts up in runlevel 5 which means that X starts up
    > automatically. That is what doesn't work. But, I have also tried editing
    > inittab to runlevel 3 and then using startx, and that doesn't work either,
    > with no real indication why not (in the startx output messages).

    One more thought. In the console mode run yum to upgrade everything. Maybe
    something did not install right but since then everything which might be the
    problem has had at least one upgrade so you will get a good copy of it. You are
    going to do this anyway.

    yum -yt upgrade

    --
    May 1 has been declared Mission Accomplished Day.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3760

  7. Re: Video Problem installing FC6 on P4

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:58:13 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > Can you capture and post the messages you do get? Maybe then someone can
    > figure which operation is not completing or starting.

    Good morning, Matt.

    I found ONE video card (Matrox G-200), out of my large stack of video
    cards, that works. So, the problem is solved for now. Unfortunately I
    had to accept that and move on to my next problem, so I didn't get a
    chance to retrieve and post messages generated by the non-working cards.
    I do appreciate the offer to look at them and I may take you up on that
    when I get myself dug out from under the current pile of issues to deal
    with. :-\

  8. Re: Video Problem installing FC6 on P4

    Eric wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:58:13 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >> Can you capture and post the messages you do get? Maybe then someone can
    >> figure which operation is not completing or starting.

    > Good morning, Matt.
    >
    > I found ONE video card (Matrox G-200), out of my large stack of video
    > cards, that works. So, the problem is solved for now. Unfortunately I
    > had to accept that and move on to my next problem, so I didn't get a
    > chance to retrieve and post messages generated by the non-working cards.
    > I do appreciate the offer to look at them and I may take you up on that
    > when I get myself dug out from under the current pile of issues to deal
    > with. :-\

    I don't know from video cards. But if that is your oldest one then see my
    second suggestion of using yum to upgrade everything before looking into other
    problems. If the hardware came out after the basic FC6 release then there is a
    chance the drivers in the release simply can't handle it.

    --
    The shortest month in history was September 1752.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3771 19

  9. Re: Video Problem installing FC6 on P4

    On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:20:48 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > I don't know from video cards. But if that is your oldest one then see
    > my second suggestion of using yum to upgrade everything before looking
    > into other problems. If the hardware came out after the basic FC6
    > release then there is a chance the drivers in the release simply can't
    > handle it.

    Believe me, all of my video cards are older than FC1, to say nothing of
    FC6.

    But, I'll try the yum upgrade and see what happens.

    Thanks...

+ Reply to Thread