Ubuntu 6.10: I cannot compile "hello world" - Setup

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 6.10: I cannot compile "hello world" - Setup ; Hallo everybody, I gave ubuntu 6.10 a try as a live system. while gcc is there, I was NOT able to run the "hello world" example: either stdio.h or printf or both don't seem to work out of the box. ...

  1. Ubuntu 6.10: I cannot compile "hello world"

    Hallo everybody,

    I gave ubuntu 6.10 a try as a live system.
    while gcc is there, I was NOT able to run the "hello world"
    example: either stdio.h or printf or both don't seem to work
    out of the box. Why?
    How can I fix the bug (I don't think it is a feature)

    Thanks
    Luciano

  2. Re: Ubuntu 6.10: I cannot compile "hello world"

    Luciano said the following, on 05/10/2007 11:27 AM:
    > Hallo everybody,
    >
    > I gave ubuntu 6.10 a try as a live system.
    > while gcc is there, I was NOT able to run the "hello world"
    > example: either stdio.h or printf or both don't seem to work
    > out of the box. Why?
    > How can I fix the bug (I don't think it is a feature)

    Your subject says, "cannot compile ...". The body of your message says,
    "I was NOT able to run ...", You don't give your program, any error
    messages, or any description of what happens when it doesn't "seem to work".

    How on earth do you expect anyone to help you if you don't tell us what
    the problem is? Post your program and the output you get when you
    compile it and try to run it.

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    richg74@gmail.com

  3. Re: Ubuntu 6.10: I cannot compile "hello world"

    In comp.os.linux.setup, Luciano

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 May 2007 17:27:47 +0200
    :
    > Hallo everybody,
    >
    > I gave ubuntu 6.10 a try as a live system.
    > while gcc is there, I was NOT able to run the "hello world"
    > example: either stdio.h or printf or both don't seem to work
    > out of the box. Why?
    > How can I fix the bug (I don't think it is a feature)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Luciano

    Well, first off, you didn't exactly give lots of detail as to error
    messages -- or for that matter, your "Hello world" program.

    Here's a "hello world"; it's about as simple as hello world gets. :-)

    -----8< >8------
    #include
    int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    printf("Hello, world!\n");
    return 0;
    }
    -----8< >8------

    Put this in hello.c and then compile it:

    $ gcc hello.c -o hello
    $ ./hello

    If the -o is omitted, gcc (actually, the linker ld;
    gcc delegates :-) ) creates a file named (for rather
    traditional reasons) "a.out".

    Also, the PATH variable almost never contains the current
    directory (putting '.' in PATH is a bad idea, as malicious
    spoofsters can have a field day putting, say, "ls" in
    there that does naughty or nasty things); hence the "./"
    in "./hello", to hint to the shell that it needs to use
    the current directory.

    If you're still having problems, you'll need to tell
    us what error messages gcc or ./hello is generating.
    At least that way we'll have something to go on.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  4. Re: Ubuntu 6.10: I cannot compile "hello world"

    On Fri, 11 May 2007, Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:27:47 +0200, Luciano
    > wrote:
    > >

    > > Hallo everybody,
    > >
    > > I gave ubuntu 6.10 a try as a live system.
    > > while gcc is there, I was NOT able to run the "hello world"
    > > example: either stdio.h or printf or both don't seem to work
    > > out of the box. Why?
    > > How can I fix the bug (I don't think it is a feature)
    > >

    > sudo aptitude install build-essential

    Thanks!
    you enabled the "crystal ball" option,
    understood what i meant
    and gave me the solution
    (or at least something very well worth trying)

    Thanks again
    Luciano :-)

    > --
    > "Don't fear the pen. When in doubt, draw a pretty picture."
    > -- Baker's Third Law of Design.

+ Reply to Thread