installation/upgrade questions - Setup

This is a discussion on installation/upgrade questions - Setup ; I hope that this is the right group to which to post the following questions. If not, please suggest a better one. I have been enjoying an older version of Linux these past few years (2.2.16 from Slackware 7.1 dist.). ...

  1. installation/upgrade questions

    I hope that this is the right group to which to post the following
    questions. If not, please suggest a better one.

    I have been enjoying an older version of Linux these past few years (2.2.16
    from Slackware 7.1 dist.). I'd like to upgrade to a newer version, to within
    the limits of the machine:

    This is a Pentium MMX 233 MHz with 256M DRAM. The Bios is an Award v. 4.51
    dated 01/21/98. The only chips which I could identify, short of popping the
    hood are an 82371 AB/EB PCI-to-ISA bridge, and an 82439 TX Pentium-to PCI
    bridge.

    Ther is a twin IDE controller on the MB to which I have attached two 2-MB
    disks on the primary, one of which is dedicated to Linux. The secondary
    controller has a Mitsumi FX320M CD ROM player (32X). I'll give more H/W
    details if needed.

    I want to get reasonably recent versions of Apache/MySQL/PHP and also to get
    support for a USB v90 modem.

    Now I've been trying various distros on bootable CD-ROM, with similar (not
    good) results. If the media is even recognized, the only (partially)
    successful boot is in "safe" mode, which is to a version 2.4 kernel with
    flags such as "noapic" and nodma". But then what happens is a flurry of
    CD-ROM timeouts and read errors, with a defective image in memory (if it
    even gets that far).

    My question then, what would be an appropriate installation? And what does
    it take to be readable by this CD-ROM player?

    Thanks in advance for any constructive pointers.

    MB

  2. Re: installation/upgrade questions

    On Fri, 04 May 2007, Michael Blanc wrote:

    > This is a Pentium MMX 233 MHz with 256M DRAM.

    This meets the minimum requirements for Fedora 6, for example.

    > Now I've been trying various distros on bootable CD-ROM, with similar (not
    > good) results. If the media is even recognized, the only (partially)
    > successful boot is in "safe" mode, which is to a version 2.4 kernel with
    > flags such as "noapic" and nodma". But then what happens is a flurry of
    > CD-ROM timeouts and read errors, with a defective image in memory (if it
    > even gets that far).

    I'd suspect that the problem really is with your CD-ROM drive. A
    light-weight distribution I like is Vector, http://www.vectorlinux.com/.
    If you still get these errors with Vector, that would pretty much prove
    that the problem is with the CD-ROM drive rather than because your
    hardware isn't powerful enough.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  3. Re: installation/upgrade questions

    Thank you for reading and replying.

    Yes, I also think that the CD-ROM reader is the "problem". Yet the device
    seems to work fine in general, just not with some media.
    I wonder if Linux distributors are aware of any systematic incompatibilities
    with "older" CD-ROM readers?

    MB

    Yves Bellefeuille wrote in message ...
    >On Fri, 04 May 2007, Michael Blanc wrote:
    >
    >> This is a Pentium MMX 233 MHz with 256M DRAM.

    >This meets the minimum requirements for Fedora 6, for example.
    >
    >> Now I've been trying various distros on bootable CD-ROM, with similar

    (not
    >> good) results. If the media is even recognized, the only (partially)
    >> successful boot is in "safe" mode, which is to a version 2.4 kernel with
    >> flags such as "noapic" and nodma". But then what happens is a flurry of
    >> CD-ROM timeouts and read errors, with a defective image in memory (if it
    >> even gets that far).

    >I'd suspect that the problem really is with your CD-ROM drive. A
    >light-weight distribution I like is Vector, http://www.vectorlinux.com/.
    >If you still get these errors with Vector, that would pretty much prove
    >that the problem is with the CD-ROM drive rather than because your
    >hardware isn't powerful enough.
    >
    >--
    >Yves Bellefeuille

  4. Re: installation/upgrade questions

    On Sun, 06 May 2007, Michael Blanc wrote:

    > Yes, I also think that the CD-ROM reader is the "problem". Yet the device
    > seems to work fine in general, just not with some media.
    > I wonder if Linux distributors are aware of any systematic incompatibilities
    > with "older" CD-ROM readers?

    I also have a CD-ROM drive that works fine with some disks and has
    problems with others. I don't think there's anything that can be done,
    except to buy another drive.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  5. Re: installation/upgrade questions

    Michael Blanc wrote:
    > I wonder if Linux distributors are aware of any systematic incompatibilities
    > with "older" CD-ROM readers?

    Yeah. I've had some very odd behaviour with CDROM drives:

    http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/labor...rom/index.html

    Post the model number of any with strange behaviour, so I can update the
    records.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  6. Re: installation/upgrade questions

    I demand that Mark Hobley may or may not have written...

    > Michael Blanc wrote:
    >> I wonder if Linux distributors are aware of any systematic
    >> incompatibilities with "older" CD-ROM readers?

    > Yeah. I've had some very odd behaviour with CDROM drives:
    > http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/labor...rom/index.html
    > Post the model number of any with strange behaviour, so I can update the
    > records.

    I have an old Hitachi CDR-7930 which has consistently failed to read or evaen
    acknowledge the presence of CDRWs.

    It is currently in use: a 15" monitor is stood on it...

    | + Use more efficient products. Use less. BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

    Wishing without work is like fishing without bait.

  7. Re: installation/upgrade questions

    On Sun, 06 May 2007, Darren Salt wrote:

    > I have an old Hitachi CDR-7930 which has consistently failed to read or evaen
    > acknowledge the presence of CDRWs.

    If the drive is not designed to work with CD-RWs, then it's not at all
    surprising that it doesn't even recognize them.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  8. Re: installation/upgrade questions

    Thanks, guys, for the feedback.

    Now I know that at least I'm not alone with erratic CD-ROM behavior. I did
    give the the thing a cleaning, which helped some. I'll get another one if I
    must.

    BTW, the problems were from CD-R discs for the most part, though some may
    have actually been industrially-pressed CDs. I have no expectation of any
    results from any DVD or CD-RW disc.

    MB

+ Reply to Thread