keeping drivers over boot - Setup

This is a discussion on keeping drivers over boot - Setup ; I'm pretty noob. Want to test some VME cards so built a system in a VME frame with an oldish VMIC-7740 SBC and installed FC4 Linux. To talk to other VME cards in the frame, I had to load drivers ...

  1. keeping drivers over boot

    I'm pretty noob. Want to test some VME cards so built a system in a VME
    frame with an oldish VMIC-7740 SBC and installed FC4 Linux. To talk to
    other VME cards in the frame, I had to load drivers for the PCI to VME
    (Tundra Universe) adapter. Found some drivers after lots of searching.

    I got the drivers installed and working but they don't remain after a
    boot and I haven't worked out why or a script that makes sense to
    restore the drivers.

    I initially installed the drivers by going to their sources and doing:
    make
    make install

    then
    modprobe vme_universe
    to load the modules

    Works good. I can talk to the other cards with peek and poke utilities
    provided. Problem is, when I reboot, the drivers don't reload.

    After reboot I then do modprobe, the module loads (lsmod shows it) but
    it doesn't work. I tried assorted commands, but the only way I have
    found to revive it is to do again
    make install

    I have noticed that make install runs - mkdir /dev/bus/vme; followed by
    a mknod. This dir and device are gone after a boot. Not sure if that is
    part of the problem.

    Any ideas what I need to do to get the drivers reloaded on reboot?

  2. Re: keeping drivers over boot

    On May 4, 8:16 pm, xray
    > I'm pretty noob. Want to test some VME cards so built a system in a VME
    > frame with an oldish VMIC-7740 SBC and installed FC4 Linux. To talk to
    > other VME cards in the frame, I had to load drivers for the PCI to VME
    > (Tundra Universe) adapter. Found some drivers after lots of searching.
    >
    > I got the drivers installed and working but they don't remain after a
    > boot and I haven't worked out why or a script that makes sense to
    > restore the drivers.
    >
    > I initially installed the drivers by going to their sources and doing:
    > make
    > make install
    >
    > then
    > modprobe vme_universe
    > to load the modules
    >
    > Works good. I can talk to the other cards with peek and poke utilities
    > provided. Problem is, when I reboot, the drivers don't reload.
    >
    > After reboot I then do modprobe, the module loads (lsmod shows it) but
    > it doesn't work. I tried assorted commands, but the only way I have
    > found to revive it is to do again
    > make install
    >
    > I have noticed that make install runs - mkdir /dev/bus/vme; followed by
    > a mknod. This dir and device are gone after a boot. Not sure if that is
    > part of the problem.
    >
    > Any ideas what I need to do to get the drivers reloaded on reboot?

    try to add'em in /etc/rc.local

    cheers,

    zaher el siddik
    http://elsiddik.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: keeping drivers over boot

    On 4 May 2007 03:40:48 -0700, elsiddik wrote:

    >On May 4, 8:16 pm, xray
    >> I'm pretty noob. Want to test some VME cards so built a system in a VME
    >> frame with an oldish VMIC-7740 SBC and installed FC4 Linux. To talk to
    >> other VME cards in the frame, I had to load drivers for the PCI to VME
    >> (Tundra Universe) adapter. Found some drivers after lots of searching.
    >>
    >> I got the drivers installed and working but they don't remain after a
    >> boot and I haven't worked out why or a script that makes sense to
    >> restore the drivers.
    >>
    >> I initially installed the drivers by going to their sources and doing:
    >> make
    >> make install
    >>
    >> then
    >> modprobe vme_universe
    >> to load the modules
    >>
    >> Works good. I can talk to the other cards with peek and poke utilities
    >> provided. Problem is, when I reboot, the drivers don't reload.
    >>
    >> After reboot I then do modprobe, the module loads (lsmod shows it) but
    >> it doesn't work. I tried assorted commands, but the only way I have
    >> found to revive it is to do again
    >> make install
    >>
    >> I have noticed that make install runs - mkdir /dev/bus/vme; followed by
    >> a mknod. This dir and device are gone after a boot. Not sure if that is
    >> part of the problem.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what I need to do to get the drivers reloaded on reboot?

    >try to add'em in /etc/rc.local
    >
    >cheers,
    >
    >zaher el siddik
    >http://elsiddik.blogspot.com/

    I don't know what 'em is. Only thing I know that works is 'make install'
    and I suspect there must be a cleaner solution.

+ Reply to Thread