Duplicate Linux Disk - Setup

This is a discussion on Duplicate Linux Disk - Setup ; I've a running fedora 4 on /dev/sda. I intend to duplicate to another disk /dev/sdb in case the first disk faulty. I did a tar from /dev/ sda1 to /dev/sdb1 and dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count =1 to copy over ...

  1. Duplicate Linux Disk

    I've a running fedora 4 on /dev/sda. I intend to duplicate to another
    disk /dev/sdb in case the first disk faulty. I did a tar from /dev/
    sda1 to /dev/sdb1 and dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count =1 to
    copy over the MBR. But when I swap the entire disk from /dev/sdb to /
    dev/sda. The duplicate disk unable to boot. Is there any additional
    command in order for the duplicate disk to be bootable.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Duplicate Linux Disk

    On 2 May 2007 23:29:35 -0700, yongtm@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I've a running fedora 4 on /dev/sda. I intend to duplicate to another
    > disk /dev/sdb in case the first disk faulty. I did a tar from /dev/
    > sda1 to /dev/sdb1 and dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count =1 to
    > copy over the MBR. But when I swap the entire disk from /dev/sdb to /
    > dev/sda. The duplicate disk unable to boot. Is there any additional
    > command in order for the duplicate disk to be bootable.

    My SWAG, boot resuce cd, chroot your partition and run lilo -v

  3. Re: Duplicate Linux Disk

    yongtm@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've a running fedora 4 on /dev/sda. I intend to duplicate to another
    > disk /dev/sdb in case the first disk faulty. I did a tar from /dev/
    > sda1 to /dev/sdb1 and dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count =1 to
    > copy over the MBR. But when I swap the entire disk from /dev/sdb to /
    > dev/sda. The duplicate disk unable to boot. Is there any additional
    > command in order for the duplicate disk to be bootable.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I prefer using Ghost 4 linux (g4l).
    It will create an identical, bootable disk.

    --
    Regards,
    Tore

  4. Re: Duplicate Linux Disk

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 23:29:35 -0700, yongtm@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've a running fedora 4 on /dev/sda. I intend to duplicate to another
    > disk /dev/sdb in case the first disk faulty. I did a tar from /dev/
    > sda1 to /dev/sdb1 and dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count =1 to
    > copy over the MBR. But when I swap the entire disk from /dev/sdb to /
    > dev/sda. The duplicate disk unable to boot. Is there any additional
    > command in order for the duplicate disk to be bootable.
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you are using the grub loader, then you will need to install grub on
    the second disk. This is because you used tar to copy the partition, which
    is the correct way to do it, IMO, BTW. It is correct way to copy because
    it allows for the source partition to have different properties than the
    destination partition (size, filesystem, etc.) You just have to remember
    to account for the bootloader.

    The final fixups for making sure the copy will work as intended. Two
    of the fixups are as follows:
    (1) grub needs to be installed, and its menu verified,
    and
    (2) /etc/fstab needs to be edited (that is, if you intend to boot
    without recabling.) The FC distribution may use "disk lables"
    instead of standard device names which is a big annoyance for me.
    If you are going to recable in the event of a drive failure, then you may
    not need to do this step.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

+ Reply to Thread