Which linux distribution? VIA EPIA CN10000, boot from Compact Flash - Setup

This is a discussion on Which linux distribution? VIA EPIA CN10000, boot from Compact Flash - Setup ; Hi, I am looking for some advice on which linux distro to go with. I have a VIA EPIA CN10000 mini-itx board, and am looking for a distro that will not take up more than around 100MB and is bootable ...

  1. Which linux distribution? VIA EPIA CN10000, boot from Compact Flash

    Hi,

    I am looking for some advice on which linux distro to go with. I have
    a VIA EPIA CN10000 mini-itx board, and am looking for a distro that
    will not take up more than around 100MB and is bootable from a compact
    flash card plugged into the boards IDE connector. It needs to have X
    and also is easy to customise/trimmed down (so it always boots up the
    same program and you can't quit etc..).

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Al

  2. Re: Which linux distribution? VIA EPIA CN10000, boot from Compact Flash

    On May 2, 1:08 pm, al99999 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for some advice on which linux distro to go with. I have
    > a VIA EPIA CN10000 mini-itx board, and am looking for a distro that
    > will not take up more than around 100MB and is bootable from a compact
    > flash card plugged into the boards IDE connector. It needs to have X
    > and also is easy to customise/trimmed down (so it always boots up the
    > same program and you can't quit etc..).

    The only one I can think of is Damn Small Linux.

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  3. Re: Which linux distribution? VIA EPIA CN10000, boot from Compact Flash

    Thanks, I'll try that!

  4. Re: Which linux distribution? VIA EPIA CN10000, boot from CompactFlash

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 06:08:03 -0700, al99999 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for some advice on which linux distro to go with. I have a
    > VIA EPIA CN10000 mini-itx board, and am looking for a distro that will
    > not take up more than around 100MB and is bootable from a compact flash
    > card plugged into the boards IDE connector. It needs to have X and
    > also is easy to customise/trimmed down (so it always boots up the same
    > program and you can't quit etc..).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Al

    Also consider EpiOS & Freepia, both are Linux distros for the Epia
    platform.

    I used early versions of EpiOS on my Epia SP13000 for a while. Overall
    it was pretty nice, but didn't meet my specific usage needs, so EpiOS was
    replaced with a different OS later on. Anyways, it's been a while since
    I last tried EpiOS, so YMMV.

    As to Freepia, I've a little about it here & there, but never actually
    used it. As such, you are on your own with this one.

    Lastly, if you are simply looking for a small generic Linux distro, then
    also consider Puppy Linux & SLAX. I'm just not sure how well they will
    function with Epia specific hardware - but they are good small distros
    and have worked/tested well on various hardware for me, for quite some
    time.

    You should be able to locate all of these distros on:
    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    Hope this helps...

+ Reply to Thread