Where are my icons? - Setup

This is a discussion on Where are my icons? - Setup ; I just moved my older computer, running FC5, into my spare bedroom. I'd reconfigured the desktop size to what I thought the old monitor supported, 800x600. Turns out the thing only goes up to 640x480. I signed on in text ...

  1. Where are my icons?

    I just moved my older computer, running FC5, into my spare bedroom.
    I'd reconfigured the desktop size to what I thought the old monitor
    supported, 800x600. Turns out the thing only goes up to 640x480.

    I signed on in text mode as root, and edited the xorg.conf to put
    640x480 up front in the list of settings for display size. After
    restarting the X window server, I was able to see the sign-on screen,
    and sign into my account.

    But I see nothing but the desktop background - no icons.

    A listing under terminal shows they still exist.

    I tried running Xconfig, which when I tried to start the
    temporary .new version, came up with the old error about no mouse
    being available...

    I suppose it'd be easy enough to copy the stuff over to my usb stick
    and load it onto my new machine, but I'm not planning to retire this
    one - it will serve as a backup server (eventually) and doesn't
    require a great monitor - but perhaps something better than this old
    Goldstar monitor from 199x...

  2. Re: Where are my icons?

    winston19842005@yahoo.com did eloquently scribble:
    > I just moved my older computer, running FC5, into my spare bedroom.
    > I'd reconfigured the desktop size to what I thought the old monitor
    > supported, 800x600. Turns out the thing only goes up to 640x480.

    > I signed on in text mode as root, and edited the xorg.conf to put
    > 640x480 up front in the list of settings for display size. After
    > restarting the X window server, I was able to see the sign-on screen,
    > and sign into my account.

    > But I see nothing but the desktop background - no icons.

    > A listing under terminal shows they still exist.

    > I tried running Xconfig, which when I tried to start the
    > temporary .new version, came up with the old error about no mouse
    > being available...

    Um...
    You have navigated around the entire desktop haven't you?
    You do realise that when you use a smaller resolution, all it does is shrink
    the viewing area of the desktop, not the desktop itself.

    Move the mouse to the far left of the screen and keep moving it, and it
    should "push" the viewing "angle" to the left too. That's where the icons
    normally hide.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  3. Re: Where are my icons?

    On May 2, 5:35 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > winston19842...@yahoo.com did eloquently scribble:
    >
    > > I just moved my older computer, running FC5, into my spare bedroom.
    > > I'd reconfigured the desktop size to what I thought the old monitor
    > > supported, 800x600. Turns out the thing only goes up to 640x480.
    > > I signed on in text mode as root, and edited the xorg.conf to put
    > > 640x480 up front in the list of settings for display size. After
    > > restarting the X window server, I was able to see the sign-on screen,
    > > and sign into my account.
    > > But I see nothing but the desktop background - no icons.
    > > A listing under terminal shows they still exist.
    > > I tried running Xconfig, which when I tried to start the
    > > temporary .new version, came up with the old error about no mouse
    > > being available...

    > Um...
    > You have navigated around the entire desktop haven't you?
    > You do realise that when you use a smaller resolution, all it does is shrink
    > the viewing area of the desktop, not the desktop itself.
    >
    > Move the mouse to the far left of the screen and keep moving it, and it
    > should "push" the viewing "angle" to the left too. That's where the icons
    > normally hide.

    No, it isn't scrolling. I got the impression I was at the upper left
    corner already (don't know why).
    I tried pushing to all four corners, and sides. I wonder if it is
    really coming up all the way? I have had once or twice where the icons
    would never show and I'd have to restart the X server in the past. But
    this wasn't very often.

  4. Re: Where are my icons?

    winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:

    > No, it isn't scrolling.

    You can check this for sure by bringing up a window, such as a terminal
    window. If the window moves as you approach the edges, then it is scrolling.

    Incidently, how are you supposed to change the resolution and the X window
    size?

    I usually comment out all the resolutions above the size of my screen in the
    available resolutions list, because my display kept scrolling. What is the
    proper way to set the screen size and resolution?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: Where are my icons?

    winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I just moved my older computer, running FC5, into my spare bedroom.
    > I'd reconfigured the desktop size to what I thought the old monitor
    > supported, 800x600. Turns out the thing only goes up to 640x480.
    >
    > I signed on in text mode as root, and edited the xorg.conf to put
    > 640x480 up front in the list of settings for display size. After
    > restarting the X window server, I was able to see the sign-on screen,
    > and sign into my account.
    >
    > But I see nothing but the desktop background - no icons.
    >
    > A listing under terminal shows they still exist.
    >
    > I tried running Xconfig, which when I tried to start the
    > temporary .new version, came up with the old error about no mouse
    > being available...
    >
    > I suppose it'd be easy enough to copy the stuff over to my usb stick
    > and load it onto my new machine, but I'm not planning to retire this
    > one - it will serve as a backup server (eventually) and doesn't
    > require a great monitor - but perhaps something better than this old
    > Goldstar monitor from 199x...

    Have you tried simply right click and realigning the icons? If they are hiding
    off screen some place that should make them visible.

    --
    If you do not believe everything the government says why do you believe what
    the government says about 9/11?

  6. Re: Where are my icons?

    On May 2, 8:36 pm, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > winston19842...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I just moved my older computer, running FC5, into my spare bedroom.
    > > I'd reconfigured the desktop size to what I thought the old monitor
    > > supported, 800x600. Turns out the thing only goes up to 640x480.

    > > I signed on in text mode as root, and edited the xorg.conf to put
    > > 640x480 up front in the list of settings for display size. After
    > > restarting the X window server, I was able to see the sign-on screen,
    > > and sign into my account.

    > > But I see nothing but the desktop background - no icons.

    > > A listing under terminal shows they still exist.

    > > I tried running Xconfig, which when I tried to start the
    > > temporary .new version, came up with the old error about no mouse
    > > being available...

    > > I suppose it'd be easy enough to copy the stuff over to my usb stick
    > > and load it onto my new machine, but I'm not planning to retire this
    > > one - it will serve as a backup server (eventually) and doesn't
    > > require a great monitor - but perhaps something better than this old
    > > Goldstar monitor from 199x...

    > Have you tried simply right click and realigning the icons? If they are hiding
    > off screen some place that should make them visible.

    I tried right-clicking the background, but got nothing. I couldn't
    remember if right-click did anything!

    Sounds like it isn't loading all the way. I will try commenting out
    different parts of the display configs and see what happens as an
    earlier poster suggested.

  7. Re: Where are my icons?

    winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On May 2, 8:36 pm, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> winston19842...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> I just moved my older computer, running FC5, into my spare bedroom.
    >>> I'd reconfigured the desktop size to what I thought the old monitor
    >>> supported, 800x600. Turns out the thing only goes up to 640x480.
    >>> I signed on in text mode as root, and edited the xorg.conf to put
    >>> 640x480 up front in the list of settings for display size. After
    >>> restarting the X window server, I was able to see the sign-on screen,
    >>> and sign into my account.
    >>> But I see nothing but the desktop background - no icons.
    >>> A listing under terminal shows they still exist.
    >>> I tried running Xconfig, which when I tried to start the
    >>> temporary .new version, came up with the old error about no mouse
    >>> being available...
    >>> I suppose it'd be easy enough to copy the stuff over to my usb stick
    >>> and load it onto my new machine, but I'm not planning to retire this
    >>> one - it will serve as a backup server (eventually) and doesn't
    >>> require a great monitor - but perhaps something better than this old
    >>> Goldstar monitor from 199x...

    >> Have you tried simply right click and realigning the icons? If they are hiding
    >> off screen some place that should make them visible.

    > I tried right-clicking the background, but got nothing. I couldn't
    > remember if right-click did anything!

    > Sounds like it isn't loading all the way. I will try commenting out
    > different parts of the display configs and see what happens as an
    > earlier poster suggested.

    If in fact nothing happens when you right click then something is not loading.
    You are talking about program icons on the desktop background image, correct?
    Also for KDE try Control Center>Desktop>options there and Control
    Center>Peripherals>Display to change resolution to look for them.

    --
    Nothing is as you are told.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3758

  8. Re: Where are my icons?

    winston19842005@yahoo.com did eloquently scribble:
    > On May 2, 8:36 pm, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> winston19842...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> > I just moved my older computer, running FC5, into my spare bedroom.
    >> > I'd reconfigured the desktop size to what I thought the old monitor
    >> > supported, 800x600. Turns out the thing only goes up to 640x480.

    >> > I signed on in text mode as root, and edited the xorg.conf to put
    >> > 640x480 up front in the list of settings for display size. After
    >> > restarting the X window server, I was able to see the sign-on screen,
    >> > and sign into my account.

    >> > But I see nothing but the desktop background - no icons.

    >> > A listing under terminal shows they still exist.

    >> > I tried running Xconfig, which when I tried to start the
    >> > temporary .new version, came up with the old error about no mouse
    >> > being available...

    >> > I suppose it'd be easy enough to copy the stuff over to my usb stick
    >> > and load it onto my new machine, but I'm not planning to retire this
    >> > one - it will serve as a backup server (eventually) and doesn't
    >> > require a great monitor - but perhaps something better than this old
    >> > Goldstar monitor from 199x...

    >> Have you tried simply right click and realigning the icons? If they are hiding
    >> off screen some place that should make them visible.

    > I tried right-clicking the background, but got nothing. I couldn't
    > remember if right-click did anything!

    > Sounds like it isn't loading all the way. I will try commenting out
    > different parts of the display configs and see what happens as an
    > earlier poster suggested.

    One final thought...
    You should get error messages if something fails to load.
    Instead of running it using the display manager, drop down to text mode
    (ctrl/alt/f1), login as root and type init 3 (on any non-debianised system)

    That will turn off the display manager.

    Then press alt/f2, login as user, type startx
    See what happens. If the same thing happens then drop back to the same
    console with ctrl/alt/f2 and see what the messages are on screen.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |