AMANDA Question - Setup

This is a discussion on AMANDA Question - Setup ; I am trying to restore a file from an AMANDA backup tape that pre-dates the current tape cycle; ie, it's from March and the oldest backup amrestore knows about is in April. Can I get this file off the tape ...

  1. AMANDA Question

    I am trying to restore a file from an AMANDA backup tape
    that pre-dates the current tape cycle; ie, it's from March
    and the oldest backup amrestore knows about is in April.

    Can I get this file off the tape via 'dd'? If so, how?
    Or can I twiddle with the AMANDA database such
    that it recognizes backups earlier than April?
    Or is there another way?

    Thanks,
    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: AMANDA Question

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    >I am trying to restore a file from an AMANDA backup tape
    >that pre-dates the current tape cycle; ie, it's from March
    >and the oldest backup amrestore knows about is in April.
    >
    >Can I get this file off the tape via 'dd'? If so, how?
    >Or can I twiddle with the AMANDA database such
    >that it recognizes backups earlier than April?
    >Or is there another way?

    Hi Richard,

    Yes. This is one nice thing about Amanda. The first file on an Amanda
    tape is a 32K record that shows the command line to extract the data
    from the tape. You can get this data using dd:

    dd if=/dev/tape bs=32k count=1

    Good luck,

    Steve

    >Thanks,