kernel panic when I tried to install linux. - Setup

This is a discussion on kernel panic when I tried to install linux. - Setup ; Hi, when I tried to install linux , I got error messages as followings... RAMDISK : Could not find valid Ram Disk image starting at 0 VFS : Could not open root boot device "NULL" or unknown block (8,3) please ...

  1. kernel panic when I tried to install linux.

    Hi,
    when I tried to install linux , I got error messages as
    followings...

    RAMDISK : Could not find valid Ram Disk image starting at 0
    VFS : Could not open root boot device "NULL" or unknown block
    (8,3)
    please append correct "root" boot option.
    Kernel Panic : not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs on
    unknown block device (8,3)

    And there are many Kernel dump message...

  2. Re: kernel panic when I tried to install linux.

    google-rambo88 wrote:
    > Hi,
    > when I tried to install linux , I got error messages as
    > followings...
    >
    > RAMDISK : Could not find valid Ram Disk image starting at 0
    > VFS : Could not open root boot device "NULL" or unknown block
    > (8,3)
    > please append correct "root" boot option.
    > Kernel Panic : not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs on
    > unknown block device (8,3)

    At first, it would help us you helping if you'd provide a bit more
    information, e.g. your distribution, /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    A minimum is the info grub is showing at first before booting.

    Your Problem sounds as if you forgot to install a suitable
    initrd ("man mkinitrd").

    So, boot a rescue system (e.g. knoppix), mount your root partition
    and build an initrd. Keep in mind that you're operating on your
    mounted partition.

    HTH Martin

  3. Re: kernel panic when I tried to install linux.

    No...

    It's first time installing on new my box.
    So , I don't have any /boot/grub/menu.lst...

    I think linux does not reconized HDD...
    ( I tried it with Redhat 9.0 and Fedora core 3, 4,6 and Centos )...
    problem was same...

    Have a day.

    "Martin Klar" wrote in message
    > google-rambo88 wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > when I tried to install linux , I got error messages as
    > > followings...
    > >
    > > RAMDISK : Could not find valid Ram Disk image starting at 0
    > > VFS : Could not open root boot device "NULL" or unknown block
    > > (8,3)
    > > please append correct "root" boot option.
    > > Kernel Panic : not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs

    on
    > > unknown block device (8,3)

    > At first, it would help us you helping if you'd provide a bit more
    > information, e.g. your distribution, /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    > A minimum is the info grub is showing at first before booting.
    >
    > Your Problem sounds as if you forgot to install a suitable
    > initrd ("man mkinitrd").
    >
    > So, boot a rescue system (e.g. knoppix), mount your root partition
    > and build an initrd. Keep in mind that you're operating on your
    > mounted partition.
    >
    > HTH Martin

  4. Re: kernel panic when I tried to install linux.

    google-rambo88 a écrit :
    > Hi,
    > when I tried to install linux , I got error messages as
    > followings...
    >
    > RAMDISK : Could not find valid Ram Disk image starting at 0
    > VFS : Could not open root boot device "NULL" or unknown block
    > (8,3)
    > please append correct "root" boot option.

    A solution is suggested here. You could try to add an option for the
    kernel at install boot prompt.

    You maybe will find some help here:

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO.html

    --
    François Patte
    Université Paris 5 - Paris

  5. Re: kernel panic when I tried to install linux.

    google-rambo88 did eloquently scribble:
    > No...

    > It's first time installing on new my box.
    > So , I don't have any /boot/grub/menu.lst...

    > I think linux does not reconized HDD...
    > ( I tried it with Redhat 9.0 and Fedora core 3, 4,6 and Centos )...
    > problem was same...

    > Have a day.

    Forget redhat 9.
    It's not surprising that one failed, any computer made after 2003 will make
    redhat 9 struggle (how can a distro be expected to handle hardware created
    after it was released).

    Just forget redhat 9 ever existed, never try it again, it is obsolete to the
    point of fossilisation.

    If it can't find your hard drive, however, I do suspect a driver (or lack
    thereof) problem.

    That is why it is ALWAYS important when asking for help to give details of
    your motherboard, what chipsets it has, etc.