FC5 printer problem - Setup

This is a discussion on FC5 printer problem - Setup ; i have a networked printer and i set it up with the right drivers, etc. this printer was working fine with the same setup in RH9. when i upgraded the OS to Fedora Core 5 it sort of works with ...

  1. FC5 printer problem

    i have a networked printer and i set it up with the right
    drivers, etc. this printer was working fine with the same
    setup in RH9. when i upgraded the OS to Fedora Core 5 it
    sort of works with Open Office documents (incorrect fonts)
    however, any printing from FireFox or any KDE/GNOME applications
    never prints at all.

    i have looked at the various log files but i don't see anything
    wrong there.

    btw, if i print a test (postscript) document from the
    system-config-printer tool it works fine but if i select
    the CUPS test page then nothing comes out.

    please help me find what the problem might be.

    thanks

  2. Re: FC5 printer problem

    metoo wrote:

    > i have a networked printer and i set it up with the right
    > drivers, etc. this printer was working fine with the same
    > setup in RH9. when i upgraded the OS to Fedora Core 5 it
    > sort of works with Open Office documents (incorrect fonts)
    > however, any printing from FireFox or any KDE/GNOME applications
    > never prints at all.
    >
    > i have looked at the various log files but i don't see anything
    > wrong there.
    >
    > btw, if i print a test (postscript) document from the
    > system-config-printer tool it works fine but if i select
    > the CUPS test page then nothing comes out.
    >
    > please help me find what the problem might be.
    >
    > thanks

    i was using the HP ColorLJ 8550GN driver and now that either
    CUPS or the print drivers have been updated this driver no
    longer works and i had to go to a Generic PostScript driver
    in order to print. unfortunately, no more duplex printing.

  3. Re: FC5 printer problem

    In message <133cf23tgvkuh1d@corp.supernews.com>
    metoo wrote:

    > metoo wrote:
    >
    >> i have a networked printer and i set it up with the right
    >> drivers, etc. this printer was working fine with the same
    >> setup in RH9. when i upgraded the OS to Fedora Core 5 it
    >> sort of works with Open Office documents (incorrect fonts)
    >> however, any printing from FireFox or any KDE/GNOME applications
    >> never prints at all.
    >>
    >> i have looked at the various log files but i don't see anything
    >> wrong there.
    >>
    >> btw, if i print a test (postscript) document from the
    >> system-config-printer tool it works fine but if i select
    >> the CUPS test page then nothing comes out.
    >>
    >> please help me find what the problem might be.
    >>
    >> thanks

    > i was using the HP ColorLJ 8550GN driver and now that either
    > CUPS or the print drivers have been updated this driver no
    > longer works and i had to go to a Generic PostScript driver
    > in order to print. unfortunately, no more duplex printing.

    From the front panel, or the web-based tool, of most HP PostScript
    printers it is possible to turn on "print postscript errors". This
    might help.

    On at least one (HP 5M) printing beyond the bottom of the printable
    area causes the job to be silently discarded. Are your paper
    definitions correct?

    --
    Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
    alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk

  4. Re: FC5 printer problem

    Alan Adams wrote:

    > In message <133cf23tgvkuh1d@corp.supernews.com>
    > metoo wrote:
    >
    >> metoo wrote:
    >>
    >>> i have a networked printer and i set it up with the right
    >>> drivers, etc. this printer was working fine with the same
    >>> setup in RH9. when i upgraded the OS to Fedora Core 5 it
    >>> sort of works with Open Office documents (incorrect fonts)
    >>> however, any printing from FireFox or any KDE/GNOME applications
    >>> never prints at all.
    >>>
    >>> i have looked at the various log files but i don't see anything
    >>> wrong there.
    >>>
    >>> btw, if i print a test (postscript) document from the
    >>> system-config-printer tool it works fine but if i select
    >>> the CUPS test page then nothing comes out.
    >>>
    >>> please help me find what the problem might be.
    >>>
    >>> thanks

    >> i was using the HP ColorLJ 8550GN driver and now that either
    >> CUPS or the print drivers have been updated this driver no
    >> longer works and i had to go to a Generic PostScript driver
    >> in order to print. unfortunately, no more duplex printing.
    >>

    > From the front panel, or the web-based tool, of most HP PostScript
    > printers it is possible to turn on "print postscript errors". This
    > might help.
    >
    > On at least one (HP 5M) printing beyond the bottom of the printable
    > area causes the job to be silently discarded. Are your paper
    > definitions correct?

    i believe that the paper definitions are correct. all the
    applications are set to using US Letter and none of them print.
    i will see if i can turn on the postscript error messages
    you mentioned.

    strange that the earlier drivers work but the new one doesn't.

+ Reply to Thread