SATA Controller (ICH5) drivers for Ubuntu Linux - Setup

This is a discussion on SATA Controller (ICH5) drivers for Ubuntu Linux - Setup ; Dear All, I want to SETUP Ubuntu 7.04 OS on my PC. The PC configuration being Gigabayte 8I865-GME-775-RH motherboard with Seagate Baraccuda 80 GB SATA HDD, LG DVD Writer, 512 MB RAM, floppy drive. I am having the Ubuntu CD ...

  1. SATA Controller (ICH5) drivers for Ubuntu Linux

    Dear All,
    I want to SETUP Ubuntu 7.04 OS on my PC.
    The PC configuration being Gigabayte 8I865-GME-775-RH motherboard with
    Seagate Baraccuda 80 GB SATA HDD, LG DVD Writer, 512 MB RAM, floppy
    drive.
    I am having the Ubuntu CD which is got by request from the page:
    https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
    When i try to install Ubuntu on my PC, the pc boots on the CD, the
    setup in GUI runs for some time doing setup tasks but then it says
    that there is no hard disk in the system.
    It is being detected by the BIOS.
    So how to install Ubuntu Linux on a SATA HDD?
    The controller for SATA is Intel Control Hub 5 (ICH5).
    So from where can i get Linux drivers for the same and how to supply
    it to the OS during setup so that HDD can be detected?
    I remember that while setting up Windows XP on this SATA HDD , i have
    pressed F6 and supplied the drivers using floppy disk to setup.
    What is the same process about Linux?

    Thanks in advance.

    -Sameer

  2. Re: SATA Controller (ICH5) drivers for Ubuntu Linux

    On 2007-04-30, Sameer wrote:
    > that there is no hard disk in the system.

    Evidently the kernel that is used to perform the installation doesn't
    have a driver for the disk controller of your system. You'll have to
    use a kernel that does support it or provide the kernel with a driver.

    First try to figure out which driver you need, then look if there is
    a driver for the kernel and if there is a kernel that already supply
    such driver, then if you can provide the driver during installation.
    The last one, you can check in the documentation of your distribution.

    Davide

    --
    An OS/2 professional visits a seminar for Windows 95. During the practice
    lesson Bill Gates asks him: "What do you like about Windows95?" He answers,

  3. Re: SATA Controller (ICH5) drivers for Ubuntu Linux

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 03:09:52 -0700, Sameer wrote:

    > So how to install Ubuntu Linux on a SATA HDD?

    That's interesting. I had a problem with my Toshiba laptop that has a
    SATA drive, but in my case it was Knoppix 5.0.1 and Mandriva 2007 that
    would not install, and 6.06 LTS Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xbuntu that would!

    --
    Maurice Batey