How to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk? - Setup

This is a discussion on How to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk? - Setup ; Hi, I tried to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk. After booting via the first installation CD, I typed "linux expert". The CD recognises both my laptop interanl HD and the external USB HD. However, when I got to ...

  1. How to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk?

    Hi,

    I tried to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk. After booting via the
    first installation CD, I typed "linux expert". The CD recognises both my
    laptop interanl HD and the external USB HD. However, when I got to the
    grub installation page, I have no choice but to use the internal HD.
    Because this is work harddisk so I choose not to install grub at all.
    I did the install anyway but even though the boot option was set to boot
    the external HD first, the BIOS did not find any OS on the USB HD.

    Next I boot from the installation CD and type "linux rescue". Mounted
    /mnt/sysimage but found that /mnt/sysimage/boot was completely empty.
    What did I do wrong? Do I need grub if I am ever only going to go into
    Linux?

    Thanks in advance.
    Anthony

  2. Re: How to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk?

    On Apr 24, 5:48 am, The Doctor wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I tried to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk. After booting via the
    > first installation CD, I typed "linux expert". The CD recognises both my
    > laptop interanl HD and the external USB HD. However, when I got to the
    > grub installation page, I have no choice but to use the internal HD.
    > Because this is work harddisk so I choose not to install grub at all.
    > I did the install anyway but even though the boot option was set to boot
    > the external HD first, the BIOS did not find any OS on the USB HD.
    >
    > Next I boot from the installation CD and type "linux rescue". Mounted
    > /mnt/sysimage but found that /mnt/sysimage/boot was completely empty.
    > What did I do wrong? Do I need grub if I am ever only going to go into
    > Linux?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Anthony

    try to edit first grub.conf -- and point it to boot from your USB
    external drive
    depending on the BIOS of your computer, you can set the USB stick as a
    boot device.
    if your BIOS does not seem to support this try to update it - if not
    bad luck-

    you can load linux without grub/lilo boat loaders by using boot
    diskette or Loadlin "its pain to use" u can load linux from MS-Dos ,
    this require a copy of your linux kernel to be available on msdos
    partition.

    good luck;

    zaher el siddik
    http://elsiddik.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: How to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk?

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:48:19 GMT, The Doctor
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I tried to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk. After booting via the
    >first installation CD, I typed "linux expert". The CD recognises both my
    >laptop interanl HD and the external USB HD. However, when I got to the
    >grub installation page, I have no choice but to use the internal HD.
    >Because this is work harddisk so I choose not to install grub at all.
    >I did the install anyway but even though the boot option was set to boot
    >the external HD first, the BIOS did not find any OS on the USB HD.
    >
    >Next I boot from the installation CD and type "linux rescue". Mounted
    >/mnt/sysimage but found that /mnt/sysimage/boot was completely empty.
    >What did I do wrong? Do I need grub if I am ever only going to go into
    >Linux?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >Anthony

    In my case I use the Grub in MBR to boot either from the internal disk
    as well as from the external USB one.

    My /etc/grub.lst:

    title HDA5 FC5 Internal Disk
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp ro root=/dev/hda5
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp.img

    title FC-6 MINIDISK
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2630.fc6 ro root=/dev/hdb1
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2630.fc6-usb.img

    Note that I had to make a initrd with the USB drivers included,
    because the default one didn't have them so it died as soon as it
    booted.

    You achieve that by:

    mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod \
    --preload=sd_mod \
    /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.2630.fc6-usb.img 2.6.17-1.2630.fc6

    Note that FC5 & FC6 see the external disk as /dev/hdb.
    FC7 (not yet released) sees the external disk as /dev/sdb.

    jp

  4. Re: How to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk?

    elsiddik wrote in
    news:1177406382.787484.234250@r3g2000prh.googlegro ups.com:

    > try to edit first grub.conf -- and point it to boot from your USB
    > external drive
    > depending on the BIOS of your computer, you can set the USB stick as a
    > boot device.
    > if your BIOS does not seem to support this try to update it - if not
    > bad luck-

    Thanks but I don't have anything under /boot. Not even /boot/grub.

    > you can load linux without grub/lilo boat loaders by using boot
    > diskette or Loadlin "its pain to use" u can load linux from MS-Dos ,
    > this require a copy of your linux kernel to be available on msdos
    > partition.

    Since the kernel is under /boot, where can I get one?

  5. Re: How to install FC5 on an external USB Harddisk?

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:30:47 GMT, The Doctor
    wrote:

    >elsiddik wrote in
    >news:1177406382.787484.234250@r3g2000prh.googlegro ups.com:
    >

    >> try to edit first grub.conf -- and point it to boot from your USB
    >> external drive
    >> depending on the BIOS of your computer, you can set the USB stick as a
    >> boot device.
    >> if your BIOS does not seem to support this try to update it - if not
    >> bad luck-

    >Thanks but I don't have anything under /boot. Not even /boot/grub.
    >
    >> you can load linux without grub/lilo boat loaders by using boot
    >> diskette or Loadlin "its pain to use" u can load linux from MS-Dos ,
    >> this require a copy of your linux kernel to be available on msdos
    >> partition.
    >>

    >Since the kernel is under /boot, where can I get one?

    Better reinstall. Look here:

    http://www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/

    Mektub

+ Reply to Thread