Kernel configuration and networking options. - Setup

This is a discussion on Kernel configuration and networking options. - Setup ; 1. I found there is an option in [File systems:Network file systems] called SMB_FS. The help is confuse because it says that it is not necessary to check this option. What about SAMBA? 2. The same with the option in ...

  1. Kernel configuration and networking options.

    1. I found there is an option in [File systems:Network file systems]
    called SMB_FS. The help is confuse because it says that it is not
    necessary to check this option. What about SAMBA?

    2. The same with the option in [File systems:Network file systems]
    called CIFS, but the help suggests to set it. Again, what about SAMBA?

    What do I have to select if I want to integrate a linux desktop
    computer in a WIN98 network and share printers and directories? Or,
    are those two options left over?

    Best regards,

    Marco

    -----------------------------------
    Freedom is not a permission for chaos.

  2. Re: Kernel configuration and networking options.

    In comp.os.linux.networking Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote:

    > What do I have to select if I want to integrate a linux desktop
    > computer in a WIN98 network and share printers and directories? Or,
    > are those two options left over?

    Have a look at my notes.

    http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/samba/index.html

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: Kernel configuration and networking options.

    On Apr 21, 10:08 pm, markhob...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley)
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.networking Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote:
    >
    > > What do I have to select if I want to integrate a linux desktop
    > > computer in a WIN98 network and share printers and directories? Or,
    > > are those two options left over?

    > Have a look at my notes.
    >
    > http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/samba/index.html
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    Well, the question is , if I have SAMBA, what are this kernel options
    for?
    or if I use the kernel options, do I still need SAMBA?,
    or if the kernel options are set, how do I use SAMBA with these
    options set?
    I have already configured SAMBA in another network and it works well,
    but recently i found out this options in configuring kernel.

    Regards,

    Marco.
    > --
    > Mark Hobley
    > 393 Quinton Road West
    > QUINTON
    > Birmingham
    > B32 1QE
    >
    > Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    > International: 0044 121 247 1596
    >
    > Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com
    >
    > http://markhobley.yi.org/

+ Reply to Thread