Converting Windows Software Raid 5 to Linux Software Raid 5 - Setup

This is a discussion on Converting Windows Software Raid 5 to Linux Software Raid 5 - Setup ; Yeah, I'm an idiot. I knew in the back of my head that installing windows software raid 5 was a bad idea. For whatever reason, the POS goes through a "resynching" cycle every few months, which takes several days. I'd ...

  1. Converting Windows Software Raid 5 to Linux Software Raid 5

    Yeah, I'm an idiot. I knew in the back of my head that installing
    windows software raid 5 was a bad idea. For whatever reason, the POS
    goes through a "resynching" cycle every few months, which takes
    several days. I'd like to convert the raid and the box to Ubuntu
    server, but I'm pretty sure I can't do that without destroying the
    raid first. Does anyone have any tips?

  2. Re: Converting Windows Software Raid 5 to Linux Software Raid 5

    In article <1177004251.806566.119800@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>, beckkl wrote:
    > server, but I'm pretty sure I can't do that without destroying the
    > raid first. Does anyone have any tips?

    I would just purchase an inexpensive ATAPI or SATA drive big enough
    to transfer the data. (Maybe two of them if paranoid.) I've never used
    Linux software RAID 5 so can't comment on how well it works.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

  3. Re: Converting Windows Software Raid 5 to Linux Software Raid 5

    On 2007-04-19, beckkl wrote:
    > Yeah, I'm an idiot. I knew in the back of my head that installing
    > windows software raid 5 was a bad idea. For whatever reason, the POS
    > goes through a "resynching" cycle every few months, which takes
    > several days. I'd like to convert the raid and the box to Ubuntu
    > server, but I'm pretty sure I can't do that without destroying the
    > raid first. Does anyone have any tips?

    Even if your guess is incorrect, why would you even want to keep the
    Windows RAID around? It's probably better to start over from scratch.
    To that end, you need to back up your important data somehow and restore
    once you have linux installed. If you don't currently have a backup
    solution, you should really have one anyway, so now's a good time to
    implement one and test it.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)