mapping user's home directory to URL using apache. - Setup

This is a discussion on mapping user's home directory to URL using apache. - Setup ; Hi All, apache provides the facility to access user's home directory through URL. For that I have done the following configuration in /etc/httpd/ conf/httpd.conf . # UserDir disable (commented in httpd conf file) UserDir public_html After that I have created ...

  1. mapping user's home directory to URL using apache.

    Hi All,

    apache provides the facility to access user's home directory through
    URL. For that I have done the following configuration in /etc/httpd/
    conf/httpd.conf .

    # UserDir disable (commented in httpd conf file)

    UserDir public_html

    After that I have created the public_html directory under user's home
    directory.

    But when I try to access the URL , www.example.com/~user, it is giving
    403 forbidden error.
    The log file is splashing the following error.
    """

    [Wed Apr 18 14:28:40 2007] [error] [client 172.16.16.25]
    (13)Permission denied: access to /~zaman denied

    """

    I change the ownership of public_html directory to apache.apache .

    But even though it is not working.

    Please somebody guide me in correcting the problem.

    With thanks.

  2. Re: mapping user's home directory to URL using apache.

    query.cdac@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > apache provides the facility to access user's home directory through
    > URL. For that I have done the following configuration in /etc/httpd/
    > conf/httpd.conf .
    >
    > # UserDir disable (commented in httpd conf file)
    >
    > UserDir public_html
    >
    > After that I have created the public_html directory under user's home
    > directory.
    >
    > But when I try to access the URL , www.example.com/~user, it is giving
    > 403 forbidden error.
    > The log file is splashing the following error.
    > """
    >
    > [Wed Apr 18 14:28:40 2007] [error] [client 172.16.16.25]
    > (13)Permission denied: access to /~zaman denied
    >
    > """
    >
    > I change the ownership of public_html directory to apache.apache .
    >
    > But even though it is not working.
    >
    > Please somebody guide me in correcting the problem.
    >

    > With thanks.

    Does a directory "public_html/~zaman" exist?

+ Reply to Thread