Want to try Linux--how to partition WinXP disk without losing data. - Setup

This is a discussion on Want to try Linux--how to partition WinXP disk without losing data. - Setup ; I have searched and cannot find any relevant posts that are newer thanseven or eight years, so here goes. I want to install a version of Linux (not sure which yet) on a single-partition disk with Windows XP already installed ...

  1. Want to try Linux--how to partition WinXP disk without losing data.

    I have searched and cannot find any relevant posts that are newer
    thanseven or eight years, so here goes. I want to install a version of
    Linux (not sure which yet) on a single-partition disk with Windows XP
    already installed on it. Is there a way to create a new partition
    without losing the data?

    Back in 2002 I did this on another computer using an older version of
    Partition Magic and it worked like a champ, but I just tried PM8 on
    this one to no avail. It acts like it's going to do it, but in the end
    it doesn't and doesn't even say why. Can the software included with
    any of the Linux distributions accomplish this? Is the only option to
    partition and reinstall Windows?

    PL

  2. Re: Want to try Linux--how to partition WinXP disk without losing data.

    "plabord" wrote in message
    news:1176852171.293587.55520@b75g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...

    > I have searched and cannot find any relevant posts that are newer
    > thanseven or eight years, so here goes. I want to install a version of
    > Linux (not sure which yet) on a single-partition disk with Windows XP
    > already installed on it. Is there a way to create a new partition
    > without losing the data? . . . Can the software included with
    > any of the Linux distributions accomplish this? Is the only option to
    > partition and reinstall Windows?

    Most Linux distributions claim they can do this.
    Lacking any reason to believe that this is so (or
    to trust one distro over another) it would be
    prudent frst to use an XP partition manager, so
    as to segregate and "unpartition" enough drive
    space (say 5 to 10 Gb) to instal a full-featured
    Linux distro.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: Want to try Linux--how to partition WinXP disk without losing data.

    > ...it would be
    > prudent frst to use an XP partition manager, so
    > as to segregate and "unpartition" enough drive
    > space ...

    Are you familiar with an XP partition manager that will do this non-
    destructively? The Computer Management utility that comes with XP will
    delete and format partitions but that's it.

    PL

  4. Re: Want to try Linux--how to partition WinXP disk without losing data.

    > ...it would be
    > prudent frst to use an XP partition manager, so
    > as to segregate and "unpartition" enough drive
    > space ...

    Are you familiar with an XP partition manager that will do this non-
    destructively? The Computer Management utility that comes with XP will
    delete and format partitions and change drive letters but that's it.

    PL

  5. Re: Want to try Linux--how to partition WinXP disk without losing data.

    "plabord" wrote in message
    news:1176922531.287835.133400@y5g2000hsa.googlegro ups.com...
    > > ...it would be
    > > prudent frst to use an XP partition manager, so
    > > as to segregate and "unpartition" enough drive
    > > space ...

    > Are you familiar with an XP partition manager that will do this non-
    > destructively? The Computer Management utility that comes with XP will
    > delete and format partitions but that's it.

    Sorry, no: I do not use XP. When appropriately
    backed up you can experiment with the software
    you already have.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs