I have searched and cannot find any relevant posts that are newer than
seven or eight years, so here goes. I want to install a version of
Linux (not sure which yet) on a single-partition disk with Windows XP
already installed on it. Is there a way to create a new partition
without losing the data?

Back in 2002 I used an older copy of Partition Magic to do this and it
worked like a champ, but I just tried PM8 to no avail. It acts like
it's going to do it, but in the end it doesn't and doesn't even say
why. Can the software included with any of the Linux distributions
accomplish this? Is the only option to partition and reinstall
Windows?

PL