very bad situation - Setup

This is a discussion on very bad situation - Setup ; Hi, customer's redhat server is stopped because one of the disk has an error. It is not root disk. no one knows the root password. i tried :linux single to change the password but the system stops again at file ...

  1. very bad situation

    Hi,

    customer's redhat server is stopped because one of the disk has an
    error. It is not root disk.

    no one knows the root password.

    i tried

    :linux single

    to change the password but the system stops again at file system
    integrity check.

    The customer has a backup file inside the disk.

    Is there any way to skip the file system integrity check during the
    reboot? This way i think i can change the root password and run fsck?

    what else can be done?

    thanks for all responses.

  2. Re: very bad situation

    hopehope_123 writes:
    > what else can be done?

    Get a bootable CD distribution such as Knoppix and boot it.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  3. Re: very bad situation

    On Apr 17, 6:46 pm, John Hasler wrote:
    > hopehope_123 writes:
    > > what else can be done?

    > Get a bootable CD distribution such as Knoppix and boot it.
    > --
    > John Hasler
    > j...@dhh.gt.org
    > Dancing Horse Hill
    > Elmwood, WI USA

    Thanks John,

    will do it.

    one other question. is there any way to change some of the config
    files during the boot ? this way may be fsck can be disabled and root
    pwd canbe changed .

    Kind Regards

  4. Re: very bad situation

    hopehope_123 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > customer's redhat server is stopped because one of the disk has an
    > error. It is not root disk.
    >
    > no one knows the root password.
    >
    > i tried
    >
    > :linux single
    >
    > to change the password but the system stops again at file system
    > integrity check.

    try
    : linux init=/bin/bash

    fsck -y /

    mount -o remount /

    passwd

    reboot

    > The customer has a backup file inside the disk.
    >
    > Is there any way to skip the file system integrity check during the
    > reboot? This way i think i can change the root password and run fsck?
    >
    > what else can be done?
    >
    > thanks for all responses.

  5. Re: very bad situation

    I demand that hopehope_123 may or may not have written...

    > On Apr 17, 6:46 pm, John Hasler wrote:
    >> hopehope_123 writes:
    >>> what else can be done?

    >> Get a bootable CD distribution such as Knoppix and boot it.

    [snip quoted .sig]
    > one other question. is there any way to change some of the config files
    > during the boot ? this way may be fsck can be disabled and root pwd canbe
    > changed .

    You DON'T want to do that.

    Use the live CD and run fsck from that; make sure that the problems are fixed
    before doing anything else. With help from mount & chroot, you can then make
    the other changes which are needed.

    They just buzzed and buzzed... and buzzed.

  6. Re: very bad situation

    Philippe WEILL wrote:

    > hopehope_123 wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> customer's redhat server is stopped because one of the disk has an
    >> error. It is not root disk.
    >>
    >> no one knows the root password.
    >>
    >> i tried
    >>
    >> :linux single
    >>
    >> to change the password but the system stops again at file system
    >> integrity check.
    >>

    > try
    > : linux init=/bin/bash

    oops it'not the system disk you don't need fsck /

    after mount -o remount /

    you could modify fstab also

    > fsck -y /
    >
    > mount -o remount /
    >
    > passwd
    >

    > reboot

  7. Re: very bad situation

    hopehope_123 writes:

    >Hi,

    >customer's redhat server is stopped because one of the disk has an
    >error. It is not root disk.

    >no one knows the root password.

    >i tried

    > :linux single

    >to change the password but the system stops again at file system
    >integrity check.

    OK, get either the installation CDRom or get a single disk operating system
    ( Mandriva One, Kubuntu, ....) and boot the machine with it.
    Then you can mount the root filesystem and edit the /etc/shadow file to for
    example remove the root password, and edit the /etc/fstab file to remove
    the line referencing the defective disk.

    >The customer has a backup file inside the disk.

    >Is there any way to skip the file system integrity check during the
    >reboot? This way i think i can change the root password and run fsck?

    >what else can be done?

    >thanks for all responses.

  8. Re: very bad situation

    Darren Salt wrote:
    > I demand that hopehope_123 may or may not have written...

    >>> Get a bootable CD distribution such as Knoppix and boot it.

    > [snip quoted .sig]
    >> one other question. is there any way to change some of the config files
    >> during the boot ? this way may be fsck can be disabled and root pwd canbe
    >> changed .

    > You DON'T want to do that.
    >
    > Use the live CD and run fsck from that; make sure that the problems are fixed
    > before doing anything else. With help from mount & chroot, you can then make
    > the other changes which are needed.

    And mount up a new disk and copy the bad one onto it and trash the bad
    one as soon as you can.

    IME a disk once it starts giving errors, is seriously on its way out.

  9. Re: very bad situation

    hopehope_123 wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >customer's redhat server is stopped because one of the disk has an
    >error. It is not root disk.
    >
    >no one knows the root password.
    >
    >i tried
    >
    > :linux single
    >
    >to change the password but the system stops again at file system
    >integrity check.
    >
    >The customer has a backup file inside the disk.
    >
    >Is there any way to skip the file system integrity check during the
    >reboot? This way i think i can change the root password and run fsck?

    Did you try Ctrl-C when it starts to fsck? This has worked for me on
    Fedora.

  10. Re: very bad situation

    On 2007-04-17, hopehope_123 wrote:

    > customer's redhat server is stopped because one of the disk has an
    > error. It is not root disk.
    >
    > no one knows the root password.
    >
    > i tried
    >
    > :linux single
    >
    > to change the password but the system stops again at file system
    > integrity check.

    Boot from alternate media, e.g. "System Rescue CD"
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page and fix it from there.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  11. Re: very bad situation

    On Apr 17, 2:15 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Darren Salt wrote:
    > > I demand that hopehope_123 may or may not have written...

    > > [snip quoted .sig]
    > >> one other question. is there any way to change some of the config files
    > >> during the boot ? this way may be fsck can be disabled and root pwd canbe
    > >> changed .

    > > You DON'T want to do that.

    > > Use the live CD and run fsck from that; make sure that the problems are fixed
    > > before doing anything else. With help from mount & chroot, you can then make
    > > the other changes which are needed.

    > And mount up a new disk and copy the bad one onto it and trash the bad
    > one as soon as you can.
    >
    > IME a disk once it starts giving errors, is seriously on its way out.

    Not necessarily - a few years ago, a certain vendor (WD? Maxtor?) had
    drives that would start giving errors - you could repartition them and
    do a format, and everything worked find afterwards.
    I experienced the problem myself - and the "bad drive" still runs to
    this day - 5 years later - without any errors.

    YMMV.

  12. Re: very bad situation

    hopehope_123 writes:

    > customer's redhat server is stopped because one of the disk has an
    > error. It is not root disk.
    >
    > no one knows the root password.
    >
    > i tried
    >
    > :linux single

    Try this appending "init=/bin/bash" to the kernel boot line.

    This should give you a bash shell very early before anything in rc
    run. More than probably you will need to remount the root partition
    rw to change the passwd. BTW don't rely on mount since it will give
    you bad info about mounted partitions.

    Vilmos

+ Reply to Thread