Noob questions - Setup

This is a discussion on Noob questions - Setup ; Last time I tried Linux was back in the Win95 days. I'm now looking to get a new machine and actually comparing OS X, Vista, and [a little surprisingly to myself] Linux. I've gotten a copy of SuSE to test ...

  1. Noob questions

    Last time I tried Linux was back in the Win95 days. I'm now looking to
    get a new machine and actually comparing OS X, Vista, and [a little
    surprisingly to myself] Linux. I've gotten a copy of SuSE to test on
    my Laptop and everything has been going quite well, in fact.

    Hopefully no one minds some silly questions to help me make a
    decision...

    During the SuSE installation, the partitioning was extremely tricky.
    Back in the day I knew my way around fdisk quite well, but there was a
    lot here that was new (LVM, etc). I still don't know all the new lingo
    and acronyms. But, anyway, here's a few questions about the
    partitioning:

    - I actually had a few troubles getting it to recognize the hard disk
    after the partitioning happened (I was trying to keep my XP partition
    in place). I'd have to reboot and try again, but instead of having
    sda1, sda2, sda3, now it was sda4, sda5, sda6, etc. This happened a
    few times where the partition numbers just kept growing. I didn't know
    if this was alright or if old partitions (with what would become
    wasted spaces) were still floating around? Eventually I think I got it
    all worked out, but I still don't have sda's 2-5. Is this a problem
    and something I can fix?

    - Also, is there a reason that /home is partitioned out separate
    from /? In my trials of seeing what I could get working with Linux, I
    wanted to try the Cedega program with a few test apps. It was quite
    obnoxious when I was accidently running it as root and ran out of disk
    space on / installing an app when I had 20 gigs free in /home.
    Obviously I was able to fix the problem, but it wouldn't have been a
    problem if there was only / and the swap partition. Is there a way to
    fix this w/o reinstalling or is it like that for a reason?

    - Back to Cedega for a moment (perhaps this is better asked on their
    forums or Wine's?), is there a way of making it so that an installed
    app is available to all users and not just the one that installed it?

    Let me say for a moment that some awesome strides have been made by
    the Linux developers over the past 10 years or so. RPMs and YaST is
    very nice. Perhaps YaST is just for SuSE, but regardless, it is very
    nice and handy. Easy to install packages and manage them.

    The next set of questions is pretty much all about development. I'm a
    programmer, and so development tools are up quite high on my
    requirements list.

    - Last time I was using Linux it was pretty much gcc, make, and trying
    to figure out GUI programming with X. Is there much that's different
    today? Are there any nice IDEs for Linux outside of Emacs (yes, I've
    been in Win32 land for too long)? I have no idea if CodeWarrior or
    similar works on Linux. I've seen Eclipse, but actually don't know too
    much about it.

    - It took a while, but I was able to get glx working in X. If anyone
    can make strides helping that process out, man, for someone long past
    the point of caring about rpm -wtfomg, that would be very nice to just
    work out of the box. But, assuming it would normally, given that I'm
    buying a new machine, are there certain video cards that I should keep
    in mind (or stay away from)? Any limitations or some-such I should be
    aware of?

    Finally, I'm generally curious how the community feels about SuSE vs.
    the other distros. I admit, I solely picked SuSE based on it being
    backed by Novell. But there's also Ubuntu, RedHat, etc. Are they
    pretty much all the same thing or are there major differences I should
    be aware of? Are any of them better supported or have a better
    knowledge base to draw from? What about the installation process and
    getting 3D acceleration working out of the box?

    Thanks for taking the time to read and answer these questions, folks!
    Keep up the great work!

    Jeff M.

  2. Re: Noob questions

    On Apr 16, 3:50 pm, "Jeff M." wrote:
> [...]
    > the point of caring about rpm -wtfomg, that would be very nice to just
    > work out of the box. But, assuming it would normally, given that I'm
    > buying a new machine, are there certain video cards that I should keep
    > in mind (or stay away from)? Any limitations or some-such I should be
    > aware of?
    >
    > Finally, I'm generally curious how the community feels about SuSE vs.
    > the other distros. I admit, I solely picked SuSE based on it being
    > backed by Novell. But there's also Ubuntu, RedHat, etc. Are they
    > pretty much all the same thing or are there major differences I should
    > be aware of? Are any of them better supported or have a better
    > knowledge base to draw from? What about the installation process and
    > getting 3D acceleration working out of the box?
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to read and answer these questions, folks!

    To answer a few of your questions:

    I do believe that the best Linux compatible graphics cards are
    Nvidia. In partitioning usually by default the Linux distribution
    will use the free space on the disk if not told otherwise, usually by
    clicking a different option. Typically the reason /home is separated
    from / is so that if you have to reinstall or if you want to try a
    different distribution you can just reformat and reinstall to the /
    partition and leave the /home partition alone.

    Personally, I like Ubuntu or Fedora Core, Ubuntu 7.04 which rolls out
    Thursday has some nice features and is very easy to install and use.
    In Ubuntu you can either use synaptic (graphical package manger), apt-
    get or aptitude (from command line) to install programs. Also you can
    install a program inside of Ubuntu by going to Add/Remove... and
    selecting a specific program. Ubuntu 7.04 has a feature that allows
    you to select the proprietary or restricted driver.

    Fedora Core has similar tools as well like yum on the command line and
    a similar graphical install similar to Ubuntu. Both installations are
    fairly straight forward. Ubuntu usually comes as a Live Cd which
    allows you to see if certain things work before you install. Then
    when you want to install just click install on the Desktop of the Live
    Cd. Fedora Core 6 has a similar install to SuSe, however, I find it
    easier.

    Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread