No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch) - Setup

This is a discussion on No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch) - Setup ; I am using Debian, and I have recently upgraded from Sarge to Etch. I appear to still be using the old 386 Sarge kernel, which shows as obsolete in dselect. I have selected a new Kernel for my machine, but ...

  1. No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch)

    I am using Debian, and I have recently upgraded from Sarge to Etch. I appear
    to still be using the old 386 Sarge kernel, which shows as obsolete in
    dselect. I have selected a new Kernel for my machine, but I am getting an
    error during install:

    The following NEW packages will be installed
    linux-image-2.6.18-4-486
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/16.2MB of archives.
    After unpacking 50.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 49707 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking linux-image-2.6.18-4-486 (from
    ..../linux-image-2.6.18-4-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12_i386.deb) ...
    Done.
    dpkg: error processing
    /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-4-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12_i386.deb
    (--unpack):
    failed in buffer_write(fd) (9, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during
    `./lib/modules/2.6.18-4-486/kernel/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac.ko':
    No space left on device

    What device is it talking about?

    $ df
    /dev/hda2 109565 75271 28448 73% /
    tmpfs 258304 0 258304 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda1 28305 6810 19985 26% /boot
    /dev/hda6 594609 2468 560416 1% /tmp
    /dev/hda5 594609 188291 374593 34% /home
    /dev/hda7 74879384 48268060 22807616 68% /volumes/vol7a
    tmpfs 10240 780 9460 8% /dev

    (On my system /usr and /var are symlinks to directories under /volumes/vol7a)

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch)

    I demand that Mark Hobley may or may not have written...

    > I am using Debian, and I have recently upgraded from Sarge to Etch. I
    > appear to still be using the old 386 Sarge kernel, which shows as obsolete
    > in dselect. I have selected a new Kernel for my machine, but I am getting
    > an error during install:

    > The following NEW packages will be installed
    > linux-image-2.6.18-4-486

    [snip]
    > dpkg: error processing
    > /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-4-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12_i386.deb
    > (--unpack):
    > failed in buffer_write(fd) (9, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during

    `./lib/modules/2.6.18-4-486/kernel/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac.ko':

    > No space left on device

    > What device is it talking about?

    > $ df
    > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    > /dev/hda2 109565 75271 28448 73% /

    [snip rest of df output]

    That one, I should think; it's where /lib normally resides.

    It may be worth checking for backup and *.dpkg-{old,dist} files in /etc; you
    may also be able to free up some space by purging some packages for which
    only configuration files are installed - this will tell you which:

    $ dpkg -l | grep ^rc | cut -d' ' -f3

    | Let's keep the pound sterling

    Slam a revolving door today!

  3. Re: No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch)

    well I got a similar error on Ubuntu feisty and I could solved it with
    killing older kernelimages which needed way more space than they
    showed... shown have been 20MB/kernel in fact it have been over 100MB!?!

    on Ubuntu I took a look at /boot to look which kernels are on my machine
    and then I deleted the old and unused ones with:

    sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.20-11-generic

    then you have to do:

    sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update &&
    sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get clean

    and everything should be fine! the first 2 commands here apt-get
    autoremove and clean you should try first to make wasted space free again

    greets

  4. Re: No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch)

    markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:

    >I am using Debian, and I have recently upgraded from Sarge to Etch. I appear
    >to still be using the old 386 Sarge kernel, which shows as obsolete in
    >dselect. I have selected a new Kernel for my machine, but I am getting an
    >error during install:

    >The following NEW packages will be installed
    > linux-image-2.6.18-4-486
    >0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    >1 not fully installed or removed.
    >Need to get 0B/16.2MB of archives.
    >After unpacking 50.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
    >Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    >Preconfiguring packages ...
    >(Reading database ... 49707 files and directories currently installed.)
    >Unpacking linux-image-2.6.18-4-486 (from
    >.../linux-image-2.6.18-4-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12_i386.deb) ...
    >Done.
    >dpkg: error processing
    >/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-4-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12_i386.deb
    >(--unpack):
    > failed in buffer_write(fd) (9, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during
    >`./lib/modules/2.6.18-4-486/kernel/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac.ko':
    >No space left on device

    >What device is it talking about?

    >$ df
    >Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    >/dev/hda2 109565 75271 28448 73% /
    >tmpfs 258304 0 258304 0% /dev/shm
    >/dev/hda1 28305 6810 19985 26% /boot
    >/dev/hda6 594609 2468 560416 1% /tmp
    >/dev/hda5 594609 188291 374593 34% /home
    >/dev/hda7 74879384 48268060 22807616 68% /volumes/vol7a
    >tmpfs 10240 780 9460 8% /dev

    >(On my system /usr and /var are symlinks to directories under /volumes/vol7a)

    100 M for / is really tiny now adays. (Ah yes, I remember when all of SunOS
    fit on a 100M disk, and there was still lots of room to do and save work on
    that as well) I suspect what is happening is that
    it is trying to install the new kernel, running out of room ( your only have
    28M left in /) and then removing what it has tried to install.

    >Mark.

    >--
    >Mark Hobley
    >393 Quinton Road West
    >QUINTON
    >Birmingham
    >B32 1QE

    >Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    >International: 0044 121 247 1596

    >Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com

    >http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch)

    Unruh wrote:

    > 100 M for / is really tiny now adays.

    The 120Mb limit allows me to backup the partition on a single laser servo
    diskette.

    I'll have a look to see if I can tidy up the partition. I wish the kernel
    modules were split into several packages instead of bundled with the kernel as
    one big massive package, because there are a load of unwanted modules and
    drivers that are not required on my machine. (Microkernel architecture would
    be nice.)

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  6. Re: No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch)

    I demand that Mark Hobley may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > I wish the kernel modules were split into several packages instead of
    > bundled with the kernel as one big massive package, because there are a
    > load of unwanted modules and drivers that are not required on my machine.
    > (Microkernel architecture would be nice.)

    Maybe it's time for you to start building your own stripped-down kernels...

    The current installed kernel (main binary, modules and depmod-generated
    files) on my amd64 box takes up 6.3MB, 3.5MB of which is in /; the
    corresponding .deb is a little over 3MB.

    | + Output *more* particulate pollutants. BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

    Everybody ought to have a clue.

  7. Re: No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch)

    markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> 100 M for / is really tiny now adays.

    >The 120Mb limit allows me to backup the partition on a single laser servo
    >diskette.

    Buy a CDwriter. They are only $40 or so.

    >I'll have a look to see if I can tidy up the partition. I wish the kernel
    >modules were split into several packages instead of bundled with the kernel as
    >one big massive package, because there are a load of unwanted modules and
    >drivers that are not required on my machine. (Microkernel architecture would
    >be nice.)

    Distos need to work with a wide variety of systems, not just yours. If you
    want to eliminate modules, you will have to do your own compiling.
    Of course then you will be back here wondering why your system does not
    work.

  8. Re: No space left on device during Kernel upgrade (Debian Etch)

    Mark Hobley writes:
    > I wish the kernel modules were split into several packages instead of
    > bundled with the kernel as one big massive package, because there are a
    > load of unwanted modules and drivers that are not required on my
    > machine.

    So delete the ones you don't need, or build your own kernel.

    > Microkernel architecture would be nice.

    Microkernel architecture would make no difference at all to this.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

+ Reply to Thread