Segfault for non root users - Setup

This is a discussion on Segfault for non root users - Setup ; Hi there, I have a Debian Etch on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook. Since some "dist-upgrade" ago my problem is that only root can regularly run graphical multimedia applications, while all other users can run only command-line multimedia programs (sox, ...

  1. Segfault for non root users

    Hi there,

    I have a Debian Etch on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook.

    Since some "dist-upgrade" ago my problem is that only root can
    regularly run graphical multimedia applications, while all other users
    can run only command-line multimedia programs (sox, etc.) and those
    graphical ones (such as mplayer, xine, xmms) exit with "Segmentation
    fault".
    Of course users have the right permissions, wihout which they couldn't
    run any command-line multimedia programs:

    ric@cico ~/plugger-test $ play test.mp3

    Input File : 'test.mp3'
    Sample Size : 16-bit (2 bytes)
    Sample Encoding: MPEG audio (layer I, II or III)
    Channels : 1
    Sample Rate : 22050

    Time: 01:48.48 [00:00.00] of 00:00.00 ( 0.0%) Output Buffer: 5.21M
    Skipped.

    Done.

    ric@cico ~/plugger-test $ xmms test.mp3
    Segmentation fault

    ric@cico ~ $ vlc
    VLC media player 0.8.6a Janus
    Segmentation fault

    Other non multimedia applications give the same problem too, while
    root can run them fine:

    ric@cico ~ $ glxgears
    Segmentation fault

    ric@cico ~ $ soffice
    /usr/bin/soffice: line 236: 6798 Segmentation fault "$sd_prog/
    $sd_binary" "$@"

    The only graphical multimedia program that a normal user can run is
    noatun.

    The problem remains here even now that I have "stable" instead of
    "testing" in my /etc/apt/sources.list (and regularly updated with
    aptitude dist-upgrade).

    I've also tried with a custom "vanilla" 2.6.20 kernel, using "nv" open
    source driver instead of the Nvidia proprietary driver, changing
    desktop environment (KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Fluxbox) but nothing changes...

    I have no clue where and how to investigate at this point, can anyone
    suggest me something?

    Thanks for answering.

  2. Re: Segfault for non root users

    I demand that HamRadio may or may not have written...

    > I have a Debian Etch on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook.

    Oh, hello, yet *another* multiposter. Must be September, or something...

    (It is permitted to have more than one newsgroup in the Newsgroups header.)

    [snip]
    | + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    Domestic happiness and faithful friends.

  3. Re: Segfault for non root users

    Darren Salt did eloquently scribble:
    > I demand that HamRadio may or may not have written...

    >> I have a Debian Etch on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook.

    > Oh, hello, yet *another* multiposter. Must be September, or something...

    > (It is permitted to have more than one newsgroup in the Newsgroups header.)

    Yes..... What is the current date now? (via sdate?)

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  4. Re: Segfault for non root users

    I demand that spike1@freenet.co.uk may or may not have written...

    > Darren Salt did eloquently
    > scribble:
    >> I demand that HamRadio may or may not have written...
    >>> I have a Debian Etch on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook.

    >> Oh, hello, yet *another* multiposter. Must be September, or something...
    >> (It is permitted to have more than one newsgroup in the Newsgroups
    >> header.)

    > Yes..... What is the current date now? (via sdate?)

    It's in the headers :-)

    | + Output *more* particulate pollutants. BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

    Use IF...ELSE IF...ELSE IF...ELSE... to implement multi-way branches.

  5. Re: Segfault for non root users

    Darren Salt did eloquently scribble:
    > I demand that spike1@freenet.co.uk may or may not have written...

    >> Darren Salt did eloquently
    >> scribble:
    >>> I demand that HamRadio may or may not have written...
    >>> Oh, hello, yet *another* multiposter. Must be September, or something...
    >>> (It is permitted to have more than one newsgroup in the Newsgroups
    >>> header.)

    >> Yes..... What is the current date now? (via sdate?)
    >>

    > It's in the headers :-)

    Ah, so it is.

    I still miss bursar.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |