SAMBA or Windows services for UNIX - Setup

This is a discussion on SAMBA or Windows services for UNIX - Setup ; Currently my windows machines are on a domain, and for years they have been dumping data files on a UNIX server using SAMBA. We intend to upgrade our windows domain to an active directory. Microsoft is offering its services for ...

  1. SAMBA or Windows services for UNIX

    Currently my windows machines are on a domain, and for years they have
    been dumping data files on a UNIX server using SAMBA. We intend to
    upgrade our windows domain to an active directory. Microsoft is
    offering its services for UNIX, and I was wondering is there a
    compelling reason to switch from SAMBA to 'Windows services for UNIX'
    when we migrate to AD. Are there any additional benefits Windows
    services offer over SAMBA (support, security, administration, ease of
    configuration etc) that makes it more attractive.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: SAMBA or Windows services for UNIX

    I really can't say much regarding Windows services for Unix, except
    that do you really wanna trust vital data at the mercy of Windows?
    (just asking).

    I would trust Novell's Edirectory than MS Active Directory. If you
    want a Unix-like system with directory/domain services then why not
    take a look at Novell's Open Enterprise Server? (http://www.novell.com/
    products/openenterpriseserver). Or for a full opensource
    implementation you can take a look at OpenLDAP for directory/domain
    services and stick with SAMBA.

    My one cent.

    On Apr 13, 3:24 am, Mercuryands...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Currently my windows machines are on a domain, and for years they have
    > been dumping data files on a UNIX server using SAMBA. We intend to
    > upgrade our windows domain to an active directory. Microsoft is
    > offering its services for UNIX, and I was wondering is there a
    > compelling reason to switch from SAMBA to 'Windows services for UNIX'
    > when we migrate to AD. Are there any additional benefits Windows
    > services offer over SAMBA (support, security, administration, ease of
    > configuration etc) that makes it more attractive.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread