snd-driver(s) in Debian - Setup

This is a discussion on snd-driver(s) in Debian - Setup ; I am bringing up my first Linux system with Debian. I have used Knoppix to determine that everything works. However, the Debian hardware detection does not find the sound device even though Knoppix finds it and it works well. lsmod ...

  1. snd-driver(s) in Debian

    I am bringing up my first Linux system with Debian. I have used
    Knoppix to determine that everything works. However, the Debian
    hardware detection does not find the sound device even though Knoppix
    finds it and it works well. lsmod tells me which driver is working
    under Knoppix, but where do I find a conf file or equiv to tell Debian
    what to load. ALSA is in the kernal under Debian but it has nothing
    to connect to. The ESS driver used by Knoppix is present on the
    Debian system, it is just not detected. There must be some way to
    tell Debian to load that driver upon startup.

    Any recommendations regarding a book which deals with configuration
    would be greatly appreciated also.

  2. Re: snd-driver(s) in Debian

    High Desert wrote in

    > I am bringing up my first Linux system with Debian. I have used
    > Knoppix to determine that everything works. However, the Debian
    > hardware detection does not find the sound device even though Knoppix
    > finds it and it works well. lsmod tells me which driver is working
    > under Knoppix, but where do I find a conf file or equiv to tell Debian
    > what to load. ALSA is in the kernal under Debian but it has nothing
    > to connect to. The ESS driver used by Knoppix is present on the
    > Debian system, it is just not detected. There must be some way to
    > tell Debian to load that driver upon startup.
    >
    > Any recommendations regarding a book which deals with configuration
    > would be greatly appreciated also.

    You neglect to mention if this is sarge or etch.

    If all you are trying to do is load a module at boottime, adding a line
    with the module name in /etc/modules should do it.

    If you want to load it now and make sure there are no arguments you have
    to add, try
    #modprobe

    additionally, upon doing my etch upgrade I happened to grab discover.
    Quite useless to me since I already have a stable setup that doesn't
    change each boot and works fine, but nice to see that it detected all my
    hardware and noted what was compiled to the kernel, what was in already
    loaded modules, and what could use modules not loaded yet. Look it up
    and see if it might be useful to you.
    #aptitude install discover1

    --
    There is nothing life threatening about man pages.
    IRS forms, however, are a different story.

+ Reply to Thread