"No swap space available." - Setup

This is a discussion on "No swap space available." - Setup ; First-time user, with trouble configuring a Xandros (Debian) distro. Some software modules e.g. krec Sound Recorder seem to cause (a) loss of keyboard and mouse control (b) continuous thrashing on hard drive. Xandros help suggested the Performance Monitor may help ...

  1. "No swap space available."

    First-time user, with trouble configuring a
    Xandros (Debian) distro. Some software
    modules e.g. krec Sound Recorder seem to
    cause (a) loss of keyboard and mouse control
    (b) continuous thrashing on hard drive.

    Xandros help suggested the Performance
    Monitor may help identify which module causes
    the trouble. I just noticed that the Perf. Mon.
    display modeline says ""No swap space available."
    This is on a Pentium 4 PC with 512 Mb RAM.

    Does this mean the swap partition (about 750
    sectors, automatically created by instal sequence)
    has been damaged or disabled by earlier
    thrashing? If not, what does it mean?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  2. Re: "No swap space available."

    "Don Phillipson" writes:

    >First-time user, with trouble configuring a
    >Xandros (Debian) distro. Some software
    >modules e.g. krec Sound Recorder seem to
    >cause (a) loss of keyboard and mouse control
    >(b) continuous thrashing on hard drive.

    That sounds like you have run out of memory.

    top

    >Xandros help suggested the Performance
    >Monitor may help identify which module causes
    >the trouble. I just noticed that the Perf. Mon.
    >display modeline says ""No swap space available."

    Your swap may be full or your swap may not have been mounted.

    What is in /etc/fstab?

    >This is on a Pentium 4 PC with 512 Mb RAM.

    >Does this mean the swap partition (about 750
    >sectors, automatically created by instal sequence)
    >has been damaged or disabled by earlier
    >thrashing? If not, what does it mean?

  3. Re: "No swap space available."

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 18:57:53 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:

    > First-time user, with trouble configuring a
    > Xandros (Debian) distro. Some software
    > modules e.g. krec Sound Recorder seem to
    > cause (a) loss of keyboard and mouse control
    > (b) continuous thrashing on hard drive.
    >
    > Xandros help suggested the Performance
    > Monitor may help identify which module causes
    > the trouble. I just noticed that the Perf. Mon.
    > display modeline says ""No swap space available."
    > This is on a Pentium 4 PC with 512 Mb RAM.
    >
    > Does this mean the swap partition (about 750
    > sectors, automatically created by instal sequence)
    > has been damaged or disabled by earlier
    > thrashing? If not, what does it mean?

    Your swap partition could be full.

    In a terminal window, type this command 'free.' It will list RAM and swap
    usage.

    Also, are you sure that your swap partition is 750 SECTORS? That's
    awfully small. Hard drive sectors are usually 512 BYTES(!) each.

    Stef

+ Reply to Thread