MP4 problem in Ubuntu - have tried installing faad - Setup

This is a discussion on MP4 problem in Ubuntu - have tried installing faad - Setup ; Hi, I am trying to get m4a files to play in ubuntu 6.10 I understand that the codec to decode m4a is not installed by default. I have done "apt-get install faac" and "apt-get install faad" which have completed successfully. ...

  1. MP4 problem in Ubuntu - have tried installing faad

    Hi,

    I am trying to get m4a files to play in ubuntu 6.10

    I understand that the codec to decode m4a is not installed by default.
    I have done "apt-get install faac" and "apt-get install faad" which
    have completed successfully.
    I have also installed the GSTreamer extra plugins, Xine extra plugins
    and GStreamer ffmpeg video plugin

    Rhythmbox still won't play the files citing that "The GStreamer
    plugins to decode MPEG-4 Audio Files cannot be found" and Totem Movie
    Player returns the error "You do not have a decoder installed to
    handle this file".

    What am I missing to enable m4a playback?
    The files are not encrypted - they are just simple CD rips through
    iTunes in windows!

    Thanks
    squelch41

  2. Re: MP4 problem in Ubuntu - have tried installing faad

    squelch41@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to get m4a files to play in ubuntu 6.10

    > I understand that the codec to decode m4a is not installed by default.
    > I have done "apt-get install faac" and "apt-get install faad" which
    > have completed successfully.
    > I have also installed the GSTreamer extra plugins, Xine extra plugins
    > and GStreamer ffmpeg video plugin

    > Rhythmbox still won't play the files citing that "The GStreamer
    > plugins to decode MPEG-4 Audio Files cannot be found" and Totem Movie
    > Player returns the error "You do not have a decoder installed to
    > handle this file".

    > What am I missing to enable m4a playback?
    > The files are not encrypted - they are just simple CD rips through
    > iTunes in windows!

    I have no idea but in your distribution has mplayer give that a try. If that
    works your problem is solved. If not I know how to make it work.

    --
    Before the Iraq war Brad Pitt was ridiculed for filming kite flying in
    Baghdad. Looks like he was right.

+ Reply to Thread