Problems with 915resolution package? - Setup

This is a discussion on Problems with 915resolution package? - Setup ; I posted a message about this problem in a previous thread. I got to thinking that maybe the problem is with the 915resolution package. I had to install that to get my linux installations to display full screen. I have ...

  1. Problems with 915resolution package?

    I posted a message about this problem in a previous thread. I got to
    thinking that maybe the problem is with the 915resolution package. I
    had to install that to get my linux installations to display full
    screen. I have installed Ubuntu, Mepis, and PCLinuxOS with a multi-boot
    setup in GRUB.

    I have the same basic problem with all 3 distros, but it works out
    differently in PCLinuxOS than the other 2. The problem is that the
    desktop is slightly larger, both vertical and horizontal, than the
    screen. I'd say between 5 & 10% to large. If I can see the toolbar
    on the top, I can't see the bottom of the windows. When I slide the
    cursor down off the bottom of the screen the desktop slides up and the
    bottom becomes visible, with the top disappearing. If I slide too far
    the whole screen goes blank. It comes back when I move the mouse back
    up. With Ubuntu and Mepis, which are both Debian, the screen doesn't
    move but I can click on things I can't see. With the other 2 the
    fonts in Firefox and Thunderbird are ugly, but PCLinuxOS is OK in that
    regard.

    My monitor is a 21" widescreen LCD and the graphics are Intel 945
    integrated graphics. I'd welcome any suggestions anyone might have.

  2. Re: Problems with 915resolution package?

    A Watcher wrote:
    > I posted a message about this problem in a previous thread. I got to
    > thinking that maybe the problem is with the 915resolution package. I
    > had to install that to get my linux installations to display full
    > screen. I have installed Ubuntu, Mepis, and PCLinuxOS with a multi-boot
    > setup in GRUB.
    >
    > I have the same basic problem with all 3 distros, but it works out
    > differently in PCLinuxOS than the other 2. The problem is that the
    > desktop is slightly larger, both vertical and horizontal, than the
    > screen. I'd say between 5 & 10% to large. If I can see the toolbar
    > on the top, I can't see the bottom of the windows. When I slide the
    > cursor down off the bottom of the screen the desktop slides up and the
    > bottom becomes visible, with the top disappearing. If I slide too far
    > the whole screen goes blank. It comes back when I move the mouse back
    > up. With Ubuntu and Mepis, which are both Debian, the screen doesn't
    > move but I can click on things I can't see. With the other 2 the
    > fonts in Firefox and Thunderbird are ugly, but PCLinuxOS is OK in that
    > regard.
    >
    > My monitor is a 21" widescreen LCD and the graphics are Intel 945
    > integrated graphics. I'd welcome any suggestions anyone might have.

    What's your native resolution? The easiest way to figure it out is to
    look at the default (and usually highest) resolution of your monitor in
    Windows. Make sure what you're setting it to in 915resolution is the same.

  3. Re: Problems with 915resolution package?

    Colonel Communism wrote:
    > A Watcher wrote:
    >> I posted a message about this problem in a previous thread. I got to
    >> thinking that maybe the problem is with the 915resolution package. I
    >> had to install that to get my linux installations to display full
    >> screen. I have installed Ubuntu, Mepis, and PCLinuxOS with a
    >> multi-boot setup in GRUB.
    >>
    >> I have the same basic problem with all 3 distros, but it works out
    >> differently in PCLinuxOS than the other 2. The problem is that the
    >> desktop is slightly larger, both vertical and horizontal, than the
    >> screen. I'd say between 5 & 10% to large. If I can see the toolbar
    >> on the top, I can't see the bottom of the windows. When I slide the
    >> cursor down off the bottom of the screen the desktop slides up and the
    >> bottom becomes visible, with the top disappearing. If I slide too far
    >> the whole screen goes blank. It comes back when I move the mouse back
    >> up. With Ubuntu and Mepis, which are both Debian, the screen doesn't
    >> move but I can click on things I can't see. With the other 2 the
    >> fonts in Firefox and Thunderbird are ugly, but PCLinuxOS is OK in that
    >> regard.
    >>
    >> My monitor is a 21" widescreen LCD and the graphics are Intel 945
    >> integrated graphics. I'd welcome any suggestions anyone might have.

    > What's your native resolution? The easiest way to figure it out is to
    > look at the default (and usually highest) resolution of your monitor in
    > Windows. Make sure what you're setting it to in 915resolution is the same.

    It is set to the native resolution. What's odd is that the desktop
    overflowed even before I added the 915resolution package to get full
    screen. Then it just overflowed to the right and bottom.

  4. Re: Problems with 915resolution package?

    A Watcher wrote:
    > Colonel Communism wrote:
    >> A Watcher wrote:
    >>> I posted a message about this problem in a previous thread. I got to
    >>> thinking that maybe the problem is with the 915resolution package. I
    >>> had to install that to get my linux installations to display full
    >>> screen. I have installed Ubuntu, Mepis, and PCLinuxOS with a
    >>> multi-boot setup in GRUB.
    >>>
    >>> I have the same basic problem with all 3 distros, but it works out
    >>> differently in PCLinuxOS than the other 2. The problem is that the
    >>> desktop is slightly larger, both vertical and horizontal, than the
    >>> screen. I'd say between 5 & 10% to large. If I can see the toolbar
    >>> on the top, I can't see the bottom of the windows. When I slide the
    >>> cursor down off the bottom of the screen the desktop slides up and the
    >>> bottom becomes visible, with the top disappearing. If I slide too far
    >>> the whole screen goes blank. It comes back when I move the mouse back
    >>> up. With Ubuntu and Mepis, which are both Debian, the screen doesn't
    >>> move but I can click on things I can't see. With the other 2 the
    >>> fonts in Firefox and Thunderbird are ugly, but PCLinuxOS is OK in that
    >>> regard.
    >>>
    >>> My monitor is a 21" widescreen LCD and the graphics are Intel 945
    >>> integrated graphics. I'd welcome any suggestions anyone might have.

    >> What's your native resolution? The easiest way to figure it out is to
    >> look at the default (and usually highest) resolution of your monitor
    >> in Windows. Make sure what you're setting it to

    in 915resolution is
    >> the same.

    > It is set to the native resolution. What's odd is that the desktop
    > overflowed even before I added the 915resolution package to get full
    > screen. Then it just overflowed to the right and bottom.

    Hrm. Maybe set the resolution in 915resolution a little lower, I guess?

  5. Re: Problems with 915resolution package?

    In message
    Colonel Communism wrote:

    > A Watcher wrote:
    >> Colonel Communism wrote:

    >>> What's your native resolution? The easiest way to figure it out is to
    >>> look at the default (and usually highest) resolution of your monitor
    >>> in Windows. Make sure what you're setting it to

    > in 915resolution is
    >>> the same.

    >> It is set to the native resolution. What's odd is that the desktop
    >> overflowed even before I added the 915resolution package to get full
    >> screen. Then it just overflowed to the right and bottom.

    > Hrm. Maybe set the resolution in 915resolution a little lower, I guess?

    It sounds as though the monitor isn't correctly detecting the timing
    from the video signals. If it has an Adjust or Auto button, have you
    tried pressing that?

    You could also try altering the refresh rate. LCDs seem to accept 50Hz
    to 75Hz without too many problems, and because they don't flicker,
    there isn't a problem generally in using a lower rate. As it reduces
    the bandwidth of the video signal, it can improve the sharpness of the
    picture too.

    --
    Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
    alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk

  6. Re: Problems with 915resolution package?

    A Watcher wrote:
    [...]
    > The problem is that the
    > desktop is slightly larger, both vertical and horizontal, than the
    > screen. I'd say between 5 & 10% to large. If I can see the toolbar
    > on the top, I can't see the bottom of the windows. When I slide the
    > cursor down off the bottom of the screen the desktop slides up and the
    > bottom becomes visible, with the top disappearing. If I slide too far
    > the whole screen goes blank. It comes back when I move the mouse back
    > up.

    That is normal behaviour, detailed in the xorg.conf manual page. Search
    for the word Virtual (it should be in the DISPLAY SUBSECTION area).

    To disable the panning, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to specify a virtual
    resolution that matches the screen's physical resolution.

    > My monitor is a 21" widescreen LCD and the graphics are Intel 945
    > integrated graphics. I'd welcome any suggestions anyone might have.

    [Note: Followup-To set to comp.os.linux.misc]

+ Reply to Thread