No video or garbage in text mode after compiling new kernel - Setup

This is a discussion on No video or garbage in text mode after compiling new kernel - Setup ; Hi! I have compiled following the next procedure: (took previous kernel .config) make oldconfig (configure kernel) make make modules_install make install (reboot to new kernel) --- NO VIDEO--- I can even log in and issue poweroff or reboot to log ...

  1. No video or garbage in text mode after compiling new kernel

    Hi!

    I have compiled following the next procedure:

    (took previous kernel .config)
    make oldconfig
    (configure kernel)
    make
    make modules_install
    make install
    (reboot to new kernel)
    --- NO VIDEO---

    I can even log in and issue poweroff or reboot to log in a kernel
    that I can see. What have I done wrong? Iam working with 2.6.20.3

    Best regards and thanks!

    Marco

  2. Re: No video or garbage in text mode after compiling new kernel

    On 2007-04-07, Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote:

    > I have compiled following the next procedure:
    >
    > (took previous kernel .config)
    > make oldconfig
    > (configure kernel)
    > make
    > make modules_install
    > make install
    > (reboot to new kernel)
    > --- NO VIDEO---
    >
    > I can even log in and issue poweroff or reboot to log in a kernel
    > that I can see. What have I done wrong? Iam working with 2.6.20.3

    No video at all, or no graphical display? If you get a text display, you
    should be able to boot into a non-GUI runlevel and fix things from
    there.

    Did you save your old kernel? If so, boot using that kernel and see if
    it works. Then check the log files to see if there's any clues.

    If you can't boot the old kernel and have no video at all, perhaps you
    can telnet or ssh into the machine remotely and check things that way.

    Finally, make sure the monitor cable hasn't simply come loose.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  3. Re: No video or garbage in *text* mode after compiling new kernel

    On Apr 8, 11:05 pm, "Marco A. Cruz Quevedo" wrote:
    > On Apr 7, 11:08 am, John Thompson wrote:
    >

    > > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.]
    > > On 2007-04-07, Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote:

    > > > I have compiled following the next procedure:

    > > > (took previous kernel .config)
    > > > make oldconfig
    > > > (configure kernel)
    > > > make
    > > > make modules_install
    > > > make install
    > > > (reboot to new kernel)
    > > > --- NOVIDEO---

    > > > I can even log in and issue poweroff or reboot to log in a kernel
    > > > that I can see. What have I done wrong? Iam working with 2.6.20.3

    > > Novideoat all, or no graphical display? If you get a text display, you
    > > should be able to boot into a non-GUI runlevel and fix things from
    > > there.

    > Novideoat all. On a previous kernel compilation attempt, I booted in
    > GUI OK, but if I selected "Consloe Login"(KDM) the screen was full of
    > color dots. But it worked fine because I could make a blind login and
    > reboot. Then I reconfigured the kernel (obviously with the previous
    > kernel) and recompiled: novideoat all.
    >

    > > Did you save your old kernel? If so, boot using that kernel and see if
    > > it works. Then check the log files to see if there's any clues.

    > > If you can't boot the old kernel and have novideoat all, perhaps you
    > > can telnet or ssh into the machine remotely and check things that way.

    > > Finally, make sure the monitor cable hasn't simply come loose.

    > > --

    > > John (j...@os2.dhs.org)

    > Well. I had to make a very carefull revision of kernel configuration
    > and I found that the console VGA was configured as MODULE, I corrected to be NOT module and
    > now it works fine!

    OK, I have checked the video settings but, as I have been setting some
    options to NO (in order to get an optimum kernel and get rid of the
    options and modules that I do not need), found that after I configure
    and compile kernet (2.6.20.3), there is no TEXT video. I can do a
    blind login and make startx, then I get X (KDE) running fine. I
    checked dmesg and found the following line:

    Console: colour dummy device

    I tried to set [Device drivers:Graphics support:Console display driver
    support]DUMMY_CONSOLE <- N but the option is grayed out (make xconfig)
    and cannot be modified.

    Well, I think this will solve the issue. Is not it?

    Regards,

    Marco.

+ Reply to Thread