Installing Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official - Setup

This is a discussion on Installing Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official - Setup ; I'm a new Linux user and I'm trying out Linux on a Windows XP machine using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (I didn't want to create partitions on my hard drive). I installed Mandrake but I can't get it to start ...

  1. Installing Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official

    I'm a new Linux user and I'm trying out Linux on a Windows XP machine
    using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (I didn't want to create partitions on
    my hard drive). I installed Mandrake but I can't get it to start in
    graphical mode...any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong?

    Thanks a lot!

  2. Re: Installing Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official

    VA wrote:
    > I'm a new Linux user and I'm trying out Linux on a Windows XP machine
    > using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (I didn't want to create partitions on
    > my hard drive). I installed Mandrake but I can't get it to start in
    > graphical mode...any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong?

    Did you type startx? If you want a direct boot into graphics someone else might
    know.

    --
    If referring to your god as he is a sign of respect what does that say about
    your opinion of women? What does that say about the universality of your god

  3. Re: Installing Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official

    yeah i did that to enter graphical mode but it gave me an error and i
    don't know how to reconfigure my graphics setting directly from the
    shell.

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > VA wrote:
    >> I'm a new Linux user and I'm trying out Linux on a Windows XP machine
    >> using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (I didn't want to create partitions on
    >> my hard drive). I installed Mandrake but I can't get it to start in
    >> graphical mode...any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong?

    > Did you type startx? If you want a direct boot into graphics someone
    > else might know.

  4. Re: Installing Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official

    log in as root
    try to edit /etc/inittab

    id:3:initdefault: change it to id:5:initdefault:
    that will startx automatically on boot.

    read man pages of xdm/startx/xtrem/xinit/xdm

    cheers,
    zaher el siddik

  5. Re: Installing Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official

    VA wrote:
    > yeah i did that to enter graphical mode but it gave me an error and i
    > don't know how to reconfigure my graphics setting directly from the shell.

    That is more information. What did the error message say? When asking for help
    post everything that happened and appeared on the screen. Bore us with details
    that might not make any sense to you at all. Did the screen "flash" before the
    error message? The most common problem with giving help is the person asking for
    it does not give all the information.

    Don't be embarrassed. We have all made the dumbest mistakes. That is where we
    got the humility to answer questions. I posted my first help when I read a
    request and thought, I did that! I posted how I fixed it. I do a lot of dumb
    things. I post some dumb suggestions too. Better to do that than remain silent.

    Also is this a laptop? Laptops do the strangest things.

    You see Windows XP machine tells nothing about the computer. Make and model,
    processor and RAM are the minimum info needed. Special graphics cards also
    matter. You are in linux. Forget everything Windows. The best it can do is
    mislead you on understanding computers. Unlike Windows, linux makes sense. You
    can build on everything you learn instead of jumping from kludge to kludge.

    BTW: top posting annoys people.

    --
    Acts, Romans, Corinthians! Let me fix your ears. -- JC
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3747

  6. Re: Installing Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official

    Thanks for the help guys but I re-installed it and I spent some time
    fixing the display settings and it works now.

    Thanks again!

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > VA wrote:
    >> yeah i did that to enter graphical mode but it gave me an error and i
    >> don't know how to reconfigure my graphics setting directly from the
    >> shell.

    > That is more information. What did the error message say? When
    > asking for help post everything that happened and appeared on the
    > screen. Bore us with details that might not make any sense to you at
    > all. Did the screen "flash" before the error message? The most common
    > problem with giving help is the person asking for it does not give all
    > the information.
    >
    > Don't be embarrassed. We have all made the dumbest mistakes. That is
    > where we got the humility to answer questions. I posted my first help
    > when I read a request and thought, I did that! I posted how I fixed it.
    > I do a lot of dumb things. I post some dumb suggestions too. Better to
    > do that than remain silent.
    >
    > Also is this a laptop? Laptops do the strangest things.
    >
    > You see Windows XP machine tells nothing about the computer. Make
    > and model, processor and RAM are the minimum info needed. Special
    > graphics cards also matter. You are in linux. Forget everything Windows.
    > The best it can do is mislead you on understanding computers. Unlike
    > Windows, linux makes sense. You can build on everything you learn
    > instead of jumping from kludge to kludge.
    >
    > BTW: top posting annoys people.
    >
    >> Matt Giwer wrote:
    >>> Did you type startx? If you want a direct boot into graphics
    >>> someone else might know.

+ Reply to Thread