Any recovery from "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" command -- Pls help!!! - Setup

This is a discussion on Any recovery from "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" command -- Pls help!!! - Setup ; Hello, Any help would be greatly appreciated! I lost all data of a huge ntfs formatted partition. My PC has both Win95 and Linux installed. I did a big mistake: I used "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" from the linux partition. ...

  1. Any recovery from "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" command -- Pls help!!!

    Hello,

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    I lost all data of a huge ntfs formatted partition.

    My PC has both Win95 and Linux installed. I did a big mistake:
    I used "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" from the linux partition. When I
    rebooted,
    I realised what I did.I found out that the ntfs partition isn't
    mountable
    anymore as a ntfs partition. It is possible to mount it as ext3fs.

    I would be very thankful if any of you could give me a pointer to
    some
    sort of software or method to recover some of my data. Because mkfs
    only
    needed some seconds, I think most of my data it is still physically
    there.

    Kind regards

  2. Re: Any recovery from "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" command -- Pls help!!!

    On Apr 4, 12:39 pm, zlcsg2...@126.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > I lost all data of a huge ntfs formatted partition.
    >
    > My PC has both Win95 and Linux installed. I did a big mistake:
    > I used "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" from the linux partition. When I
    > rebooted,
    > I realised what I did.I found out that the ntfs partition isn't
    > mountable
    > anymore as a ntfs partition. It is possible to mount it as ext3fs.
    >
    > I would be very thankful if any of you could give me a pointer to
    > some
    > sort of software or method to recover some of my data. Because mkfs
    > only
    > needed some seconds, I think most of my data it is still physically
    > there.
    >
    > Kind regards

    A restore from a good backup is always a first option. Assuming you
    don't have one, right?

    Well, after some problems with my hard drive failing, which a format
    later put to rights, I found a good program called GetDataBack www.runtime.org/>.

    It has helped me recover data after GRUB f*cked the MBR (that fdisk/
    mbr wouldn't fix) and after Partition Magic decided it would fix it
    one time (rendering it invisible to WinMe).

    It was worth more than it cost, having recovered data at least 3 times
    for me. Wish I had it back in 2002 when I was copying hard drives
    between two PCs as backup. Hard drive on PC one failed, and less than
    2 months later the 2nd hard drive on the other PC went...

  3. Re: Any recovery from "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" command -- Pls help!!!

    zlcsg2006@126.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > I lost all data of a huge ntfs formatted partition.
    >
    > My PC has both Win95 and Linux installed. I did a big mistake:
    > I used "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" from the linux partition. When I
    > rebooted,
    > I realised what I did.I found out that the ntfs partition isn't
    > mountable
    > anymore as a ntfs partition. It is possible to mount it as ext3fs.
    >
    > I would be very thankful if any of you could give me a pointer to
    > some
    > sort of software or method to recover some of my data. Because mkfs
    > only
    > needed some seconds, I think most of my data it is still physically
    > there.

    There is no good news to report.

  4. Re: Any recovery from "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" command -- Pls help!!!

    On 4 Apr, 21:34, "winston19842...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > On Apr 4, 12:39 pm, zlcsg2...@126.com wrote:
    >

    > > Hello,

    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    > > I lost all data of a huge ntfs formatted partition.

    > > My PC has both Win95 and Linux installed. I did a big mistake:
    > > I used "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda1" from the linux partition. When I
    > > rebooted,
    > > I realised what I did.I found out that the ntfs partition isn't
    > > mountable
    > > anymore as a ntfs partition. It is possible to mount it as ext3fs.

    > > I would be very thankful if any of you could give me a pointer to
    > > some
    > > sort of software or method to recover some of my data. Because mkfs
    > > only
    > > needed some seconds, I think most of my data it is still physically
    > > there.

    > > Kind regards

    > A restore from a good backup is always a first option. Assuming you
    > don't have one, right?
    >
    > Well, after some problems with my hard drive failing, which a format
    > later put to rights, I found a good program called GetDataBack .
    >
    > It has helped me recover data after GRUB f*cked the MBR (that fdisk/
    > mbr wouldn't fix) and after Partition Magic decided it would fix it
    > one time (rendering it invisible to WinMe).
    >
    > It was worth more than it cost, having recovered data at least 3 times
    > for me. Wish I had it back in 2002 when I was copying hard drives
    > between two PCs as backup. Hard drive on PC one failed, and less than
    > 2 months later the 2nd hard drive on the other PC went...

    Unlikely to help in this case. A ****ed MBR just means the data is
    inaccessible. A mkfs means it has been overwritten.
    If you multiboot, it is best to keep data separate form OS.

+ Reply to Thread