Intel G965 chipset - X fails to set correct sync - Setup

This is a discussion on Intel G965 chipset - X fails to set correct sync - Setup ; System: Intel DG965WH motherboard (G965 chipset includes onboard video) Monitor: Sony CPD-G400 OS: FC6 Fedora Core 6 uses the i810 driver for this, and it has had trouble setting the sync frequencies correctly since day 1. It has been mostly ...

  1. Intel G965 chipset - X fails to set correct sync

    System: Intel DG965WH motherboard (G965 chipset includes onboard video)
    Monitor: Sony CPD-G400
    OS: FC6

    Fedora Core 6 uses the i810 driver for this, and it has had trouble
    setting the sync frequencies correctly since day 1. It has been
    mostly stable until the latest set of FC6 patches.

    The Xorg log file contains some warnings that might be germane.
    Here's a selection. The entire file is viewable at
    http://www.jhmg.net/misc/X/Xorg.0.log

    [snip]
    (--) Chipset 965G found
    [snip]
    (WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f64 not supported.
    [snip]
    (WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f05 not supported.
    [snip]
    (II) I810(0): Will use BIOS call 0x5f05 to set refresh rates for CRTs.
    [snip]
    (WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f05 not supported.
    (II) I810(0): BIOS call 0x5f05 not supported, setting refresh with VBE 3
    method.
    (II) I810(0): Setting refresh with VBE 3 method.

    The end result is wildly wrong horizontal/vertical sync, resulting
    in either a totally white screen or severe distortion. I've tried
    letting Xorg do its own runtime config (move aside /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
    and also generating a new config with "Xorg -configure", with no
    luck.

    Can someone suggest a course of action to troubleshoot this?

  2. Re: Intel G965 chipset - X fails to set correct sync

    On 2007-04-03, Jim Garrison wrote:
    > System: Intel DG965WH motherboard (G965 chipset includes onboard video)
    > Monitor: Sony CPD-G400
    > OS: FC6
    >
    > Fedora Core 6 uses the i810 driver for this, and it has had trouble
    > setting the sync frequencies correctly since day 1. It has been
    > mostly stable until the latest set of FC6 patches.

    *snip

    > The end result is wildly wrong horizontal/vertical sync, resulting
    > in either a totally white screen or severe distortion. I've tried
    > letting Xorg do its own runtime config (move aside /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
    > and also generating a new config with "Xorg -configure", with no
    > luck.
    >
    > Can someone suggest a course of action to troubleshoot this?

    You may want to try the 'intel' driver. It's very similar to i810 but with
    more intelligence in setting modes.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering