Install Fedora (FC6) on PII system?? - Setup

This is a discussion on Install Fedora (FC6) on PII system?? - Setup ; I want to install Fedora (FC6) on a old PC that I have. The processor on the PC is a Pentium II (333Mz). I did try to install FC6 on this PC and the installation program does not go beyond ...

  1. Install Fedora (FC6) on PII system??

    I want to install Fedora (FC6) on a old PC that I have. The processor
    on the PC is a Pentium II (333Mz). I did try to install FC6 on this PC
    and the installation program does not go beyond the startup screen. Is
    there a processor dependency for the Fedora (FC6) distribution?

    Has anyone installed FC6 on a PII system? If yes, please let me know
    how I can install this distribution on my old system.

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    Regards,

    NJ

  2. Re: Install Fedora (FC6) on PII system??

    On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 21:58:41 -0400, Neil Jones wrote:

    > I want to install Fedora (FC6) on a old PC that I have. The processor
    > on the PC is a Pentium II (333Mz). I did try to install FC6 on this PC
    > and the installation program does not go beyond the startup screen. Is
    > there a processor dependency for the Fedora (FC6) distribution?
    >
    > Has anyone installed FC6 on a PII system? If yes, please let me know
    > how I can install this distribution on my old system.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > NJ

    I have FC6 on a PII-450MHz with 384M of memory. I use it as a CVS server.

  3. Re: Install Fedora (FC6) on PII system??

    On Sun, 01 Apr 2007, Neil Jones wrote:

    > I want to install Fedora (FC6) on a old PC that I have. The processor
    > on the PC is a Pentium II (333Mz). I did try to install FC6 on this PC
    > and the installation program does not go beyond the startup screen. Is
    > there a processor dependency for the Fedora (FC6) distribution?

    Minimum requirements for Fedora 6 are:

    Fedora Core 6 requires an Intel Pentium or better processor, and is
    optimized for Pentium 4 and later processors.

    * Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
    * Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
    * Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128 MiB
    * Minimum RAM for graphical: 192 MiB
    * Recommended RAM for graphical: 256 MiB

    Follow-ups set to comp.os.linux.misc and comp.os.linux.setup.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  4. Re: Install Fedora (FC6) on PII system??

    On Apr 1, 9:58 pm, Neil Jones em...@SPAMBUSTER.yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I want to install Fedora (FC6) on a old PC that I have. The processor
    > on the PC is a Pentium II (333Mz). I did try to install FC6 on this PC
    > and the installation program does not go beyond the startup screen. Is
    > there a processor dependency for the Fedora (FC6) distribution?
    >
    > Has anyone installed FC6 on a PII system? If yes, please let me know
    > how I can install this distribution on my old system.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > NJ

    you should have no problem installing it on p2 333mhz.
    what i suggest is maybe the CD corrupted try to get another cd /
    another way is just copy the image on a floppy and get it up.
    i had the same problem once i ended up booting the image from a disk
    and it worked.

    cheers,
    zaher el siddik

  5. Re: Install Fedora (FC6) on PII system??

    Neil Jones wrote:

    > I want to install Fedora (FC6) on a old PC that I have. The processor
    > on the PC is a Pentium II (333Mz). I did try to install FC6 on this PC
    > and the installation program does not go beyond the startup screen. Is
    > there a processor dependency for the Fedora (FC6) distribution?
    >
    > Has anyone installed FC6 on a PII system? If yes, please let me know
    > how I can install this distribution on my old system.

    (1) How much memory do you have?
    This is more important than the processor speed.

    (2) Why not try installing in text mode?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366