probably untypical problem with ALSA - Setup

This is a discussion on probably untypical problem with ALSA - Setup ; Hello everybody, I'd like to ask a question about loading ALSA functionality. The problem is that after a reboot/start of my computer I have no sound. Soundcart module loads ok. The result resembles best the state when you have speakers ...

  1. probably untypical problem with ALSA

    Hello everybody,
    I'd like to ask a question about loading ALSA functionality. The problem is
    that after a reboot/start of my computer I have no sound. Soundcart module
    loads ok. The result resembles best the state when you have speakers turned
    off. I repair it (works up to next restart) by running alsamixer and
    changing (just moving up or down even without saving setting) any of this
    tabs (e.g. 'Master'). Immediately after this the sound is audible and I
    quit alsamixer.
    And the question is: how to repair it permanently? Thank you for all
    answers. Should I give additional, helpfull info, let me know what it is
    and I'll post it here.

    --
    Marcin Balcerzak

  2. Re: probably untypical problem with ALSA

    On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 18:31:25 +0200, Marcin Balcerzak wrote (MsgID:
    ):

    > Hello everybody,
    > I'd like to ask a question about loading ALSA functionality. The problem is
    > that after a reboot/start of my computer I have no sound. Soundcart module
    > loads ok. The result resembles best the state when you have speakers turned
    > off. I repair it (works up to next restart) by running alsamixer and
    > changing (just moving up or down even without saving setting) any of this
    > tabs (e.g. 'Master'). Immediately after this the sound is audible and I
    > quit alsamixer.
    > And the question is: how to repair it permanently? Thank you for all
    > answers. Should I give additional, helpfull info, let me know what it is
    > and I'll post it here.

    I can add that saving settings during 'correct' state (alsactl store)
    and restoring it after restart (alsactl restore or alsactl -F restore)
    doesn't change situation.

    --
    Marcin Balcerzak

  3. Re: probably untypical problem with ALSA

    On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:00:19 +0200, Marcin Balcerzak wrote (MsgID:
    ):

    [snip]

    If it helps to diagnose: on starting the system when loading ALSA:

    Restoring Mixer Levels ... [ ok ]

    and the result of lsmod is:

    Module Size Used by
    snd_pcm_oss 50688 0
    snd_mixer_oss 21760 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_seq_oss 40960 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 12160 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 60976 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 12168 1 snd_seq_oss
    nvidia 6843764 0
    snd_maestro3 31108 0
    snd_ac97_codec 104480 1 snd_maestro3
    snd_ac97_bus 6656 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm 88580 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_maestro3,snd_ac97_codec
    snd_timer 28036 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 14728 1 snd_pcm
    snd 61444 9
    snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_ seq_device,snd_maestro3,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer

    --
    Marcin Balcerzak

  4. Re: probably untypical problem with ALSA

    Adam Wysocki on pl.pregierz gave a working bypass:
    /usr/bin/aumix -v 50; /usr/bin/aumix -v 100

    I suppose something analogous with amixer (double change simulating
    movement of regulating bar in ncurses interface of alsamixer) can also do
    well but I haven't checked. If anyone knows the real cause of problems,
    please let me know. Google claims it can be both problem with ALSA
    erroniously saving/loading some settings and problems with module
    snd_maestro3.

    --
    Marcin Balcerzak

  5. Re: probably untypical problem with ALSA

    Marcin Balcerzak wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    > I'd like to ask a question about loading ALSA functionality. The problem
    > is that after a reboot/start of my computer I have no sound. Soundcart
    > module loads ok. The result resembles best the state when you have
    > speakers turned off. I repair it (works up to next restart) by running
    > alsamixer and changing (just moving up or down even without saving
    > setting) any of this tabs (e.g. 'Master'). Immediately after this the
    > sound is audible and I quit alsamixer.
    > And the question is: how to repair it permanently? Thank you for all
    > answers. Should I give additional, helpfull info, let me know what it is
    > and I'll post it here.

    What Desktop do you use? KDE or Gnome.

    If you use KDE, take a look at

    ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc

    Sound is probably switch off there and overwrites all your config changes
    because KDE resets it. I found this simple problem after going through all
    sorts of hardware/software/configuration nightmares.

    Regards,

    NoKo

    --
    "Careful with that VAX, Eugene!"

  6. Re: probably untypical problem with ALSA

    Norbert Kolvenbach wrote:

    > Marcin Balcerzak wrote:

    [Snip]

    > What Desktop do you use? KDE or Gnome.
    >
    > If you use KDE, take a look at
    >
    > ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc

    Huh! Off course I mean kmixctrlrc.

    --
    "Careful with that VAX, Eugene!"~/.kde/share/config

+ Reply to Thread