DVD copying - Setup

This is a discussion on DVD copying - Setup ; Thinking about trying Linux again after a couple of years. Has anyone had an experience in copying dvd's in Linux. Is the Linux DVDshrink as good as the Windows version? What about k9copy, will it copy films ok? I use ...

  1. DVD copying

    Thinking about trying Linux again after a couple of years.
    Has anyone had an experience in copying dvd's in Linux.
    Is the Linux DVDshrink as good as the Windows version?
    What about k9copy, will it copy films ok?
    I use DVD Shrink & DVDFab in Windows & need something as good as this in
    Linux.
    Thinking about Ubuntu.

  2. Re: DVD copying

    In article you wrote:
    > Thinking about trying Linux again after a couple of years.
    > Has anyone had an experience in copying dvd's in Linux.
    > Is the Linux DVDshrink as good as the Windows version?
    > What about k9copy, will it copy films ok?
    > I use DVD Shrink & DVDFab in Windows & need something as good as this in
    > Linux.
    > Thinking about Ubuntu.

    Yes, linux has a bunch of really great tools for working with DVDs and
    multimedia in general. Ubuntu is very slick and user friendly, but
    you will want to install the optional package Automatix to have access
    to all the patent encumbered and proprietary codecs and tools.

    http://www.getautomatix.com/

    It has a nice pointy-clicky installer for automatcially adding to the
    apt repositories and downloading/installing a bunch of optional
    software. Also, the Ubuntu forums tend to be really good for sorting
    out any problems you might run into:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/

    Good luck, and have fun!

    Thad

  3. Re: DVD copying

    On Mar 30, 6:30 am, "Isaac Hunt" wrote:
    > Thinking about trying Linux again after a couple of years.
    > Has anyone had an experience in copying dvd's in Linux.
    > Is the Linux DVDshrink as good as the Windows version?
    > What about k9copy, will it copy films ok?
    > I use DVD Shrink & DVDFab in Windows & need something as good as this in
    > Linux.
    > Thinking about Ubuntu.

    For plainly copying DVDs, K3B is superb for me and most distros come
    standard with it.

  4. Re: DVD copying

    On Mar 30, 3:56 pm, "HardWyrd" wrote:
    > On Mar 30, 6:30 am, "Isaac Hunt" wrote:
    >
    > > Thinking about trying Linux again after a couple of years.
    > > Has anyone had an experience in copying dvd's in Linux.
    > > Is the Linux DVDshrink as good as the Windows version?
    > > What about k9copy, will it copy films ok?
    > > I use DVD Shrink & DVDFab in Windows & need something as good as this in
    > > Linux.
    > > Thinking about Ubuntu.

    > For plainly copying DVDs, K3B is superb for me and most distros come
    > standard with it.

    K3B is a great program for copying dvds but last I saw it doesn't
    shrink dual layer to single layer dvds.

    Nothing on linux that works as simply and well as dvdshrink. My
    totally computer illiterate friends can use that.

    Many linux bods are working on such a transparent process for dvd
    shrinking and compiling. There is a script called dvd9to5 but it
    didn't work for me. You might have better luck. ManDVD looks like it
    has the potential to become a program as easy and transparent as
    anything in windows but it is unfinished.

    To dvd shrink I use a sequence of commands involving mencoder,
    dvdauthor, mkisofs, growisof. There are many ways to go about this
    but as far as I know none bulletproof with user friendly guis.

    Graham e

  5. Re: DVD copying

    gray wrote:

    > On Mar 30, 3:56 pm, "HardWyrd" wrote:
    >> On Mar 30, 6:30 am, "Isaac Hunt" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Thinking about trying Linux again after a couple of years.
    >> > Has anyone had an experience in copying dvd's in Linux.
    >> > Is the Linux DVDshrink as good as the Windows version?
    >> > What about k9copy, will it copy films ok?
    >> > I use DVD Shrink & DVDFab in Windows & need something as good as this
    >> > in Linux.
    >> > Thinking about Ubuntu.

    >> For plainly copying DVDs, K3B is superb for me and most distros come
    >> standard with it.

    > K3B is a great program for copying dvds but last I saw it doesn't
    > shrink dual layer to single layer dvds.
    >
    > Nothing on linux that works as simply and well as dvdshrink. My
    > totally computer illiterate friends can use that.

    You mean that k9copy is way too complicated for you? Really?

    > Many linux bods are working on such a transparent process for dvd
    > shrinking and compiling. There is a script called dvd9to5 but it
    > didn't work for me. You might have better luck. ManDVD looks like it
    > has the potential to become a program as easy and transparent as
    > anything in windows but it is unfinished.

    MandDVD is for mastering DVDs, not for copying them

    > To dvd shrink I use a sequence of commands involving mencoder,
    > dvdauthor, mkisofs, growisof. There are many ways to go about this
    > but as far as I know none bulletproof with user friendly guis.
    >
    > Graham e

    That you have never tried k9copy is your problem, not a linux one
    --
    Law of Probable Dispersal:
    Whatever it is that hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

  6. Re: DVD copying

    In article <1175246622.546681.164670@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups. com>, gray wrote:
    > Nothing on linux that works as simply and well as dvdshrink. My
    > totally computer illiterate friends can use that.

    The dvdshrink program can be run under wine on linux systems, as can
    ripit4me. However I have read that dvdshrink is no longer maintained
    since its developer was hired by Nero, so that program is a dead end.
    There will be no bug fixes or enhancements for it. (That's the problem
    when you use software provided only as a 'binary blob.')

    Others have mentioned k9copy as a native linux replacement but it abends
    on my Ubuntu Dapper system with the diagnostic "DVD is not opened." (Have
    not had time to investigate the cause.)

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

  7. Re: DVD copying

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy gray wrote:

    > To dvd shrink I use a sequence of commands involving mencoder,
    > dvdauthor, mkisofs, growisof. There are many ways to go about this
    > but as far as I know none bulletproof with user friendly guis.

    I've used the above tools to make my own DVD related scripts that
    do exactly what I want. Obviously that is not what most casual
    computer users want (they prefer a point and shoot UI), but I'm
    certainly glad the linux tools expose that sort of flexibility.
    It makes it easy for me to just drop a DVD into the media server
    and have it auto-rip into the same directory that the capture card
    dumps cable programs, adding it to the same PVR menus. It also
    makes it easy for me to space shift shows off to DVD for later
    viewing when the harddrive is getting full. I've also jiggered
    things so it automatically converts disks between PAL and NTSC
    formats as my girlfriend's father is from England and we sometimes
    have to deal with various region codes and video formats.

    All the low level stuff is obviously there on Linux, so only the
    UI frosting needs a bit of work at this point, and of course the
    whole patent and copyright issues need to be addressed. It seems
    like Linspire is trying to assemble a properly licensed and legal
    codec pack that can be used on any Linux distro, so this problem
    might be addressed in the short term (though the long term solution
    is still to fix the broken patent/copyright system).

    Later,

    Thad

+ Reply to Thread