unsatisfied Linux lover - Setup

This is a discussion on unsatisfied Linux lover - Setup ; I love Linux, but: a) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 I can use java web chat and all runs fine (= it is possible to shut the windows) and use my scanner (Epson CX5400 all-in- one), while with Knoppix 5.1.1 both ...

  1. unsatisfied Linux lover

    I love Linux, but:
    a) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 I can use java web chat and all runs fine (= it is
    possible to shut the windows) and use my scanner (Epson CX5400 all-in-
    one), while with Knoppix 5.1.1 both are impossible?
    b) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 it is impossible to use my printer
    (Epson CX5400 all-in-one)?
    c) why with Fc6, Mandriva 2007, Suse 10.2, etc, it is possible to use my
    printer, while it is impossible to use java web chat (the windows do not
    shut) and to use my scanner?
    These trivial things do not allow the spread of Linux.

    jean

  2. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    jean bouvier did eloquently scribble:
    > I love Linux, but:
    > a) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 I can use java web chat and all runs fine (= it is
    > possible to shut the windows) and use my scanner (Epson CX5400 all-in-
    > one), while with Knoppix 5.1.1 both are impossible?
    > b) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 it is impossible to use my printer
    > (Epson CX5400 all-in-one)?
    > c) why with Fc6, Mandriva 2007, Suse 10.2, etc, it is possible to use my
    > printer, while it is impossible to use java web chat (the windows do not
    > shut) and to use my scanner?
    > These trivial things do not allow the spread of Linux.

    You're tarring all of linux with the same brush. Even though it's only a few
    distributions that are at fault. (If indeed they are).

    Before you start shouting "Linux is rubbish" try other distros. I note
    you've not mentioned ubuntu which is currently the rising star in the linux
    cosmos. Does that have the same problems?

    Until you have tried it, by all means complain about knoppix, fedora, suse,
    etc, but leave linux as a whole out of it.
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  3. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > You're tarring all of linux with the same brush. Even though it's only a
    > few distributions that are at fault. (If indeed they are).
    >
    > Before you start shouting "Linux is rubbish" try other distros. I note
    > you've not mentioned ubuntu which is currently the rising star in the
    > linux cosmos. Does that have the same problems?
    >
    > Until you have tried it, by all means complain about knoppix, fedora,
    > suse, etc, but leave linux as a whole out of it.

    I wil try Ubuntu

  4. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    If unsatisfied with Linux you can suck my DOS.

  5. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    jean bouvier wrote:

    > I love Linux, but:
    > a) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 I can use java web chat and all runs fine (= it
    > is
    > possible to shut the windows) and use my scanner (Epson CX5400 all-in-
    > one), while with Knoppix 5.1.1 both are impossible?
    > b) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 it is impossible to use my printer
    > (Epson CX5400 all-in-one)?
    > c) why with Fc6, Mandriva 2007, Suse 10.2, etc, it is possible to use my
    > printer, while it is impossible to use java web chat (the windows do
    > not shut) and to use my scanner?
    > These trivial things do not allow the spread of Linux.
    >
    > jean

    All those things work in linux, you just don't know how to put them to
    work...
    just try to put your epson working in windows without installing the cd that
    comes with the printer, so that you can have a fair comparation
    windows/linux in hardware suport...
    java in linux? peace of cake...

    read some manuals

  6. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > All those things work in linux, you just don't know how to put them to
    > work...
    > just try to put your epson working in windows without installing the cd
    > that comes with the printer, so that you can have a fair comparation
    > windows/linux in hardware suport...
    > java in linux? peace of cake...
    >
    > read some manuals

    This is a silly reply. The point is another: the things I reported are not
    bugs, are carelessness. And you reply to me of reading more? This is the
    reply of Linux? Do you think I do not work and I have time to waste? Do you
    think my work is to hoe the land? I am a dentist. Do you think I am stupid?
    When I did I.Q. tests of army, then they congratuled me. Certainly, it is
    stupid to waste my time speaking with you.

  7. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    > If unsatisfied with Linux you can suck my DOS.

    Your DOS? Stick it in your ass.

  8. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    jean bouvier wrote:

    > This is a silly reply.

    For a silly "kind of" question...

    > The point is another: the things I reported are not
    > bugs, are carelessness. And you reply to me of reading more? This is the
    > reply of Linux?

    No, just mine.

    > Do you think I do not work and I have time to waste?

    none of us have, and i don't consider learning a waste of time.

    > Do
    > you think my work is to hoe the land? I am a dentist. Do you think I am
    > stupid?

    Lasy for now...

    > When I did I.Q. tests of army, then they congratuled me.

    your high IQ doesn't make know everything, you'll still have to learn.
    > Certainly, it is stupid to waste my time speaking with you.

    A stupid waste of time is you saying that those things don't work under
    linux when they work fine

    Look, linux is not made for lasy and stupid people, for those there is
    allready one called Ms-Windows... if you really don't hanna "waste" time
    learning, then stick with the lasy SO and with the few things it can do.

    Why didn't you start by asking how to install java and how to configure
    printers?
    How is it in windows ? your printer starts to work without configuration ?
    does java come allready with the system or you have to install it?
    Humm?

    Regards

  9. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    On Mar 29, 1:50 pm, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > jean bouvier wrote:
    > > This is a silly reply.

    > For a silly "kind of" question...
    >
    > > The point is another: the things I reported are not
    > > bugs, are carelessness. And you reply to me of reading more? This is the
    > > reply of Linux?

    > No, just mine.
    >
    > > Do you think I do not work and I have time to waste?

    > none of us have, and i don't consider learning a waste of time.
    >
    > > Do
    > > you think my work is to hoe the land? I am a dentist. Do you think I am
    > > stupid?

    > Lasy for now...
    >
    > > When I did I.Q. tests of army, then they congratuled me.

    > your high IQ doesn't make know everything, you'll still have to learn.> Certainly, it is stupid to waste my time speaking with you.
    >
    > A stupid waste of time is you saying that those things don't work under
    > linux when they work fine
    >
    > Look, linux is not made for lasy and stupid people, for those there is
    > allready one called Ms-Windows... if you really don't hanna "waste" time
    > learning, then stick with the lasy SO and with the few things it can do.
    >
    > Why didn't you start by asking how to install java and how to configure
    > printers?
    > How is it in windows ? your printer starts to work without configuration ?
    > does java come allready with the system or you have to install it?
    > Humm?

    Look, I for one agree with Jean.
    We didn't pick up Linux to learn to become system admins. Early on in
    the days of computers, I remember upgrading my old machine to an MFM
    hard drive. Up to that point I was writing some pretty good apps,
    having fun writing APPLICATION PROGRAMS.

    Then, after the hardware install, I spent most of my time backing up
    and restoring the thing after problem after problem. I spent all my
    time doing systems work and no time actually using the computer for
    what I bought it for.

    So, if you wanted to be an admin, with most flavors of Linux, you got
    it. But it doesn't mean we all want to be admins. I was once - on a
    decent OS - VMS.

    Anyway, these same issues drove me away from Fedora Core. I was going
    to look at Ubuntu, but decided to take a different path - buying a Mac
    with OSX - another REAL operating system, without all the admin
    nightmares, because Apple cares enough to release a pretty decent
    (actually FANTASTIC) OS.

    Ben

  10. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    On 2007-03-29, jean bouvier wrote:

    > This is the reply of Linux?

    No, it is the reply of one linux user. You've repeated your mistake
    of too-broadly generalizing a problem to all of linux.

    > Do you think I do not work and I have time to waste? Do you
    > think my work is to hoe the land? I am a dentist. Do you think I am stupid?
    > When I did I.Q. tests of army, then they congratuled me. Certainly, it is
    > stupid to waste my time speaking with you.

    Linux helps those who help themselves. If you have a bug report,
    file it with the *distribution*. Would you blame your car if your
    drunk friend crashed it through your window?

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  11. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Mar 29, 1:50 pm, ArameFarpado wrote:
    >> jean bouvier wrote:
    >>> This is a silly reply.

    >> For a silly "kind of" question...
    >>
    >>> The point is another: the things I reported are not
    >>> bugs, are carelessness. And you reply to me of reading more? This is the
    >>> reply of Linux?

    >> No, just mine.
    >>
    >>> Do you think I do not work and I have time to waste?

    >> none of us have, and i don't consider learning a waste of time.
    >>
    >>> Do
    >>> you think my work is to hoe the land? I am a dentist. Do you think I am
    >>> stupid?

    >> Lasy for now...

    >>> When I did I.Q. tests of army, then they congratuled me.

    >> your high IQ doesn't make know everything, you'll still have to learn.> Certainly, it is stupid to waste my time speaking with you.

    >> A stupid waste of time is you saying that those things don't work under
    >> linux when they work fine

    >> Look, linux is not made for lasy and stupid people, for those there is
    >> allready one called Ms-Windows... if you really don't hanna "waste" time
    >> learning, then stick with the lasy SO and with the few things it can do.

    >> Why didn't you start by asking how to install java and how to configure
    >> printers?
    >> How is it in windows ? your printer starts to work without configuration ?
    >> does java come allready with the system or you have to install it?
    >> Humm?

    > Look, I for one agree with Jean.
    > We didn't pick up Linux to learn to become system admins. Early on in
    > the days of computers, I remember upgrading my old machine to an MFM
    > hard drive. Up to that point I was writing some pretty good apps,
    > having fun writing APPLICATION PROGRAMS.

    > Then, after the hardware install, I spent most of my time backing up
    > and restoring the thing after problem after problem. I spent all my
    > time doing systems work and no time actually using the computer for
    > what I bought it for.

    I have installed many HDs both parallel and serial internal and USB external. I
    have gone from a bare motherboard and case and installed drives, HD and CD, from
    scratch, formatting and then installing linux. I am not a sysadmin and have
    learned nothing but reading the fine man pages. Once I was comfortable
    installing the first disk the first time all the following were just reviewing
    the process to get it right the first time.

    All that said, you should not blame linux for your problems with a defective
    HD. The worst problem I have ever had was misreading the man page instructions.
    All the drives and boards were whatever I had at the time and there were several
    RedHats starting with 5.2beta I think. I have had no problems with drives of any
    sort.

    I admit I enjoy tinkering with the OS but after the first few months of
    learning there wasn't much to tinker with anymore. I no longer have that enjoyment.

    > So, if you wanted to be an admin, with most flavors of Linux, you got
    > it. But it doesn't mean we all want to be admins. I was once - on a
    > decent OS - VMS.

    > Anyway, these same issues drove me away from Fedora Core. I was going
    > to look at Ubuntu, but decided to take a different path - buying a Mac
    > with OSX - another REAL operating system, without all the admin
    > nightmares, because Apple cares enough to release a pretty decent
    > (actually FANTASTIC) OS.

    The worst problem I have had with linux were with FC6 and those all felt like
    the reason was it was released to soon. The problems were annoying but not
    serious and generally very ignorable.

    I cannot imagine what could take much admin time for a single user unless you
    are trying to make things difficult for yourself.

    --
    If the US recognizes the right of Jews to Palestine how can it deny Utah to
    the Latter Day Saints?

  12. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    jean bouvier wrote:
    > I love Linux, but:
    > a) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 I can use java web chat and all runs fine (= it is
    > possible to shut the windows) and use my scanner (Epson CX5400 all-in-
    > one), while with Knoppix 5.1.1 both are impossible?
    > b) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 it is impossible to use my printer
    > (Epson CX5400 all-in-one)?
    > c) why with Fc6, Mandriva 2007, Suse 10.2, etc, it is possible to use my
    > printer, while it is impossible to use java web chat (the windows do not
    > shut) and to use my scanner?
    > These trivial things do not allow the spread of Linux.

    webchat is an application. Inform the developers.

    You will always risk having a problem trying to run the latest printer or
    scanner on linux. Buy an older model that is good enough and save a nice chunk
    of change also. Developers have to write the drivers as the hardware folks do
    not release linux drivers. When all else fails tell linux your printer is an
    older model in the same series. Manufacturers do not reinvent the wheel.

    --
    If the US recognizes the right of Jews to Palestine how can it deny Utah to
    the Latter Day Saints?
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3739
    commentary http://www.giwersworld.org/opinion/running.phtml a5

  13. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:45:32 +0000, jean bouvier wrote:

    > I love Linux, but:
    > a) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 I can use java web chat and all runs fine (= it is
    > possible to shut the windows) and use my scanner (Epson CX5400 all-in-
    > one), while with Knoppix 5.1.1 both are impossible?
    > b) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 it is impossible to use my printer
    > (Epson CX5400 all-in-one)?
    > c) why with Fc6, Mandriva 2007, Suse 10.2, etc, it is possible to use my
    > printer, while it is impossible to use java web chat (the windows do not
    > shut) and to use my scanner?
    > These trivial things do not allow the spread of Linux.
    >
    > jean

    just out of curiosity: which distribution are you using? and do you have a
    question?

    Felmon

  14. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    On 2007-03-29, winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Anyway, these same issues drove me away from Fedora Core. I was going
    > to look at Ubuntu, but decided to take a different path - buying a Mac
    > with OSX - another REAL operating system, without all the admin
    > nightmares, because Apple cares enough to release a pretty decent
    > (actually FANTASTIC) OS.

    You, too, are blaming linux for problems with a particular
    distribution. And OS X is a good OS, but it too has its share
    of problems, especially for people accustomed to a standard
    POSIX environment. Ever look at your /etc/passwd in OS X,
    for example?

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  15. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    On Mar 29, 8:35 pm, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > winston19842...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > I have installed many HDs both parallel and serial internal and USB external. I
    > have gone from a bare motherboard and case and installed drives, HD and CD, from
    > scratch, formatting and then installing linux. I am not a sysadmin and have
    > learned nothing but reading the fine man pages. Once I was comfortable
    > installing the first disk the first time all the following were just reviewing
    > the process to get it right the first time.
    >
    > All that said, you should not blame linux for your problems with a defective
    > HD. The worst problem I have ever had was misreading the man page instructions.
    > All the drives and boards were whatever I had at the time and there were several
    > RedHats starting with 5.2beta I think. I have had no problems with drives of any
    > sort.

    You are not reading carefully enough. I do not wish to tinker with the
    OS. I wish to write applications. The hard drive issues predate Linux
    by many years, with a different system, a different OS, and were all
    hardware issues anyway. It was the amount of time I spent doing
    backups and restores that made me dislike admin tasks so much.

    That isn't to say I haven't had to deal with Linux issues and hard
    drives. Ever since moving from LILO to GRUB, you had a whole new tool
    to learn that has its own view of things and will easily blow away the
    MBR of your drive, rendering it unbootable - I did wish to keep
    Windows around - and it wouldn't resurrect even with all the fine
    suggestions of this ng. Although I was able to mount the partition in
    Linux. Go figure.

  16. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:54:48 -0400, felmon john davis wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:45:32 +0000, jean bouvier wrote:
    >
    >> I love Linux, but:
    >> a) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 I can use java web chat and all runs fine (=
    >> it is
    >> possible to shut the windows) and use my scanner (Epson CX5400
    >> all-in- one), while with Knoppix 5.1.1 both are impossible?
    >> b) why with Knoppix 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 it is impossible to use my printer
    >> (Epson CX5400 all-in-one)?
    >> c) why with Fc6, Mandriva 2007, Suse 10.2, etc, it is possible to use my
    >> printer, while it is impossible to use java web chat (the windows do
    >> not shut) and to use my scanner?
    >> These trivial things do not allow the spread of Linux.
    >>
    >> jean

    > just out of curiosity: which distribution are you using? and do you have a
    > question?

    You expect an answer? From the two other replies he's made, I'd say he's
    trolling.

  17. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:21:45 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    >>> These trivial things do not allow the spread of Linux.
    >>>
    >>> jean

    >> just out of curiosity: which distribution are you using? and do you
    >> have a question?

    > You expect an answer? From the two other replies he's made, I'd say he's
    > trolling.

    well, the last line cited above does suggest trolling, or anyway blowing
    off steam.

    let's see if he answers.

    Felmon

  18. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    On 2007-03-30, winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:

    > That isn't to say I haven't had to deal with Linux issues and hard
    > drives. Ever since moving from LILO to GRUB, you had a whole new tool
    > to learn that has its own view of things and will easily blow away the
    > MBR of your drive, rendering it unbootable - I did wish to keep
    > Windows around - and it wouldn't resurrect even with all the fine
    > suggestions of this ng. Although I was able to mount the partition in
    > Linux. Go figure.

    You could have kept lilo. Once again, don't blame *linux* for problems
    in a distro or a program!

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  19. Re: unsatisfied Linux lover

    winston19842005@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Mar 29, 8:35 pm, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> winston19842...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >> I have installed many HDs both parallel and serial internal and USB external. I
    >> have gone from a bare motherboard and case and installed drives, HD and CD, from
    >> scratch, formatting and then installing linux. I am not a sysadmin and have
    >> learned nothing but reading the fine man pages. Once I was comfortable
    >> installing the first disk the first time all the following were just reviewing
    >> the process to get it right the first time.
    >>
    >> All that said, you should not blame linux for your problems with a defective
    >> HD. The worst problem I have ever had was misreading the man page instructions.
    >> All the drives and boards were whatever I had at the time and there were several
    >> RedHats starting with 5.2beta I think. I have had no problems with drives of any
    >> sort.

    > You are not reading carefully enough. I do not wish to tinker with the
    > OS. I wish to write applications. The hard drive issues predate Linux
    > by many years, with a different system, a different OS, and were all
    > hardware issues anyway. It was the amount of time I spent doing
    > backups and restores that made me dislike admin tasks so much.

    But you didn't get a non-defective HD and solve your problems? I had that
    problem with Windows as the main reason for a permanent switch to linux and have
    not had such a problem with linux. If you mean just insurance backups 320G
    internals are under $100 and externals under $120. cp your working directory
    every night. It should not be an issue for you.

    > That isn't to say I haven't had to deal with Linux issues and hard
    > drives. Ever since moving from LILO to GRUB, you had a whole new tool
    > to learn that has its own view of things and will easily blow away the
    > MBR of your drive, rendering it unbootable - I did wish to keep
    > Windows around - and it wouldn't resurrect even with all the fine
    > suggestions of this ng. Although I was able to mount the partition in
    > Linux. Go figure.

    I have had both LILO and GRUB and don't know a thing about them because they
    both always worked as expected. What did you do to make them angry?

+ Reply to Thread