bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB - Setup

This is a discussion on bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB - Setup ; Hi Linux fans, I'm trying to boot Debian from USB by using feraga deb2flash script: http://feraga.com http://svn.feraga.com/filedetails.ph....py&rev=0&sc=0 I installed Debian onto flash disk with no problem. But, my computer refuses to boot from it, no matter what I try How ...

  1. bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    Hi Linux fans,

    I'm trying to boot Debian from USB by using feraga deb2flash script:

    http://feraga.com
    http://svn.feraga.com/filedetails.ph....py&rev=0&sc=0

    I installed Debian onto flash disk with no problem. But, my computer
    refuses to boot from it, no matter what I try
    How do I make bootable floppy that loads 'feraga_Debian' from USB
    flash?

  2. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    orange wrote:
    > Hi Linux fans,
    >
    > I'm trying to boot Debian from USB by using feraga deb2flash script:
    >
    > http://feraga.com
    > http://svn.feraga.com/filedetails.ph....py&rev=0&sc=0
    >
    > I installed Debian onto flash disk with no problem. But, my computer
    > refuses to boot from it, no matter what I try
    > How do I make bootable floppy that loads 'feraga_Debian' from USB
    > flash?

    By chance (and I'm sure you did) has the boot from usb option been
    enabled in your computer BIOS? Some machines do not have the capability
    of doing so.

    CM

  3. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    > By chance (and I'm sure you did) has the boot from usb option been
    > enabled in your computer BIOS? Some machines do not have the capability
    > of doing so.
    >
    > CM

    yes, its enabled, it just doesnt boot.
    anyways I would like to be able to boot it on old computers that don't
    even have that option in BIOS.

  4. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:48:26 -0700, orange wrote:

    > Hi Linux fans,
    >
    > I'm trying to boot Debian from USB by using feraga deb2flash script:
    >
    > http://feraga.com
    > http://svn.feraga.com/filedetails.ph....py&rev=0&sc=0
    >
    > I installed Debian onto flash disk with no problem. But, my computer
    > refuses to boot from it, no matter what I try
    > How do I make bootable floppy that loads 'feraga_Debian' from USB
    > flash?

    Debian already has a special boot floppy for booting systems that can't
    boot off USB drives directly to boot. I used it to install Debian on an
    IBM 240X notebook, which can only boot off the hard drive or floppy, to
    boot and install Debian off the USB CD-ROM drive.

    Stef

  5. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    > Debian already has a special boot floppy for booting systems that can't
    > boot off USB drives directly to boot. I used it to install Debian on an
    > IBM 240X notebook, which can only boot off the hard drive or floppy, to
    > boot and install Debian off the USB CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > Stef

    do you have a link? I'm a newbie so I'm looking for done, completed,
    '.raw' image of floppy.
    I'm trying to boot (not install) Debian from USB.

    some people said that new kernel with USB support is too big to fit on
    diskette.

  6. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    found something interesting:
    http://64.124.13.3/hacks/USB_Boot_us...mozTocId154514

    it might help me and others with same problem

  7. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    In message <1174656470.157182.150640@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>
    "orange" wrote:

    > found something interesting:
    > http://64.124.13.3/hacks/USB_Boot_us...mozTocId154514
    >
    > it might help me and others with same problem

    I've got a floppy here called "Smart Boot Manager", which finds any
    bootable media and gives you a choice. Great for systems too old to
    boot from CD. I don't know whether it finds USB, but it's worth
    looking for.

    --
    Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
    alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk

  8. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    unfortunately grub didn't work,
    I have seen SBM site and they don't mention USB anywhere, so I doubt
    it would work. thanks anyway.

  9. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    "orange" wrote in message
    news:1174652379.444171.178080@e1g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...

    > I'm trying to boot (not install) Debian from USB.
    > some people said that new kernel with USB support is too big to fit on
    > diskette.

    My Xandros.v.4 distro (Debian-based) will not boot
    from a floppy. The System instal CD is supposed to
    have a menu item / Troubleshooting / Rescue Console
    and normal boot (from the HD) has a couple of similarly
    named menu choices besides Xandros Linux and Windows98.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  10. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:05:56 +0000, Alan Adams wrote:

    > In message <1174656470.157182.150640@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>
    > "orange" wrote:
    >
    >> found something interesting:
    >> http://64.124.13.3/hacks/USB_Boot_us...mozTocId154514
    >>
    >> it might help me and others with same problem
    >>

    > I've got a floppy here called "Smart Boot Manager", which finds any
    > bootable media and gives you a choice. Great for systems too old to
    > boot from CD. I don't know whether it finds USB, but it's worth
    > looking for.

    It didn't work with my USB CD-ROM or flash drive on my 240X Thinkpad.
    Didn't even "see" the USB port. You need to have USB drivers and the
    CD-ROM drivers loaded, first, which Smart Boot Manager doesn't do.

    Stef

  11. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 05:19:39 -0700, orange wrote:

    >> Debian already has a special boot floppy for booting systems that can't
    >> boot off USB drives directly to boot. I used it to install Debian on an
    >> IBM 240X notebook, which can only boot off the hard drive or floppy, to
    >> boot and install Debian off the USB CD-ROM drive.
    >>
    >> Stef

    > do you have a link? I'm a newbie so I'm looking for done, completed,
    > '.raw' image of floppy.
    > I'm trying to boot (not install) Debian from USB.

    Try this link: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

    You mean boot as in Live CD boot: A fully usable system running off the
    CD? No, the Debain boot floppy is designed to load a basic system into
    RAM, load the necessary drivers, et al, then transfer control over to a
    standard Debian install CD. Although, I can't remember, if that CD has a
    "rescue" mode or not. If it does, that will give you a working, though
    limited, commandline system.

    > some people said that new kernel with USB support is too big to fit on
    > diskette.

    Yes, it is. "It" being any of the binary 2.6 kernels. If you can compile
    one yourself, you might be able to get it small enough to put on a floppy,
    but I doubt it. A minimal 2.4 kernel just barely fits.

    Stef

  12. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:48:26 -0700, orange wrote:

    > Hi Linux fans,
    >
    > I'm trying to boot Debian from USB by using feraga deb2flash script:
    >
    > http://feraga.com
    > http://svn.feraga.com/filedetails.ph....py&rev=0&sc=0
    >
    > I installed Debian onto flash disk with no problem. But, my computer
    > refuses to boot from it, no matter what I try
    > How do I make bootable floppy that loads 'feraga_Debian' from USB
    > flash?

    Caveat: I am not running Debian.

    It could be that you can't boot from USB if your BIOS doesn't support it.
    You can either look for a BIOS update or boot from a media which is
    supported by your hardware. You could boot from a cd, for example.

    It might be worthwhile to verify that the flash you made boots on a newer
    computer- just to rule out the possibility that something is wrong
    with the bootable flash that you made.

    The trouble with floppies is their small capacity. CDs are universal
    and have adequate capacity. That is why I think it's best to boot
    from a CD first, especially if you are claiming "newbie" status. BTW,
    older hardware which refuse to boot from CDs can use a Smart Boot Manager
    (SBM) boot floppy to "jumpstart" booting from a CD. Unfortunately, USB is
    a different story. SBM is unmaintained and has no support for USB, IIRC.

    Learning about GNU/Linux's startup procedures is definitely worthwhile.
    However, doing it as a "first" project (that is, before even using
    GNU/Linux at all) is a daunting prospect, IMO.

    Going back to fundamentals:
    The following things are necessary to start GNU/Linux:
    0. Hardware with a BIOS which supports your hardware (hard disks, optical
    discs, USB, etc.)

    1. Bootable media with a bootloader and other essential elements.
    2. Linux kernel (and initial ramdisk, if necessary)
    3. Root filesystem.

    I wrote about Slackware on a stick here (probably not directly applicable
    to Debian):
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...5fd1173b080c3a

    And corrected a few things here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...0ebe8bbc58ad3b

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  13. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    thank you all
    Douglas, where can I find .iso of bootable CD that would 'chroot' or
    something to USB?
    I got Knoppix, Debian Live CDs, but how do I make them run Debian from
    flash?

  14. Re: bootable floppy for Debian-on-USB

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:30:05 -0700, orange wrote:

    > thank you all
    > Douglas, where can I find .iso of bootable CD that would 'chroot' or
    > something to USB?
    > I got Knoppix, Debian Live CDs, but how do I make them run Debian from
    > flash?

    OT: I see you are posting from Google. The default settings do not follow
    the etiquette guidelines for this newsgroup. For example, it is good
    etiquette to quote some context in replies, not to top post, etc.

    On topic: I assume there are bootdisks available for Debian, and all of
    its derivatives. Ubuntu is one popular derivative. I don't know enough
    about what you are asking to offer any more specific advice.

    One "circularity" that I have noticed about setting up GNU/Linux is that
    it often requires a running Linux. This is a classic "Catch 22,"
    if you are already having trouble booting GNU/Linux at all. IIRC, help
    with bootstrap is the topic of this thread. Have you found a way around
    that obstacle? If you have never setup before, then I think it
    would be easiest to follow the standard setup procedure.I don't know
    which distributions will "magically" setup to flash as a working target.
    The dramatic size increase in flash make it an attractive target to
    encapsulate a GNU/Linux environment, including the bootloader, etc. As my
    "slackware on stick" post shows, making the adaptation is not too
    difficult, at least when using Slackware.

    Going Off-topic: I run Slackware, not Debian. Some of the specifics of
    startup are distribution dependant; such as, making an initrd. An initrd
    is often required when dealing with USB devices because most generic
    kernels include USB support through kernel modules. See my previous
    referenced link earlier in this thread for an example.

    I have two "startup environments" which are Slackware based. The
    techniques used in those environments can probably be adapted to any
    GNU/Linux, but I prefer Slackware.

    1. 10.2-live
    http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne2/10.2-live
    2. erf-dm
    http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne2/erf-dm

    I also have two generic boot images which can help boot in some
    circumstances (again, I make no claim to applicability to your
    situation):

    1. generic grub bootable CD
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....2040b59e1eac50
    2. SBM bootable floppy image