X Configuration file - Setup

This is a discussion on X Configuration file - Setup ; Hi, I have installed "Fedora Core 6 64 Bit" on my "Intel Core 2 Duo" machine, equipped with the video card "256 Mb PCI ATI pro 256 Mb Ram". However, I cannot use the Xwindows graphical environment because my Video ...

  1. X Configuration file

    Hi,

    I have installed "Fedora Core 6 64 Bit" on my "Intel Core 2 Duo"
    machine, equipped with the video card "256 Mb PCI ATI pro 256 Mb Ram".

    However, I cannot use the Xwindows graphical environment because my
    Video card sends out a signal that my Monitor (Brimax TFT LCD flat panel
    Monitor) cannot handle; in fact I have tried three different monitors
    and got, respectively, the error messages "Out of range", "Input not
    supported" and "Herz ?".

    I suppose this is a problem caused by the OS, in that it badly controls
    the video card and makes it to produce an "out of range" frequency
    signal and/or an "out of range" graphical definition.

    I think the problems lays in the xorg.config configuration file,
    namely in the "Device" section which reads:

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

    Could anyone hint me on how to properly modify the xorg.conf
    configuration file or kindly provide me with a sample xorg.conf file
    that could make my Linux Box able to run XWindows and the relating
    Graphical User interface KDE and /or GNOME?

    TIA.

    Regards,

    Francesco

  2. Re: X Configuration file

    Francesco Barbuto wrote:

    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "Videocard0"
    > Driver "vesa"
    > EndSection

    Two hints:

    1. Try Driver "ati"
    2. Try to get a suitable xorg.conf by typing:

    # X -configure

    And have a look at:

    http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Configuration...24d4d0cde37930

    HTH Martin