Problem Running Adobe Reader on FC6 - Setup

This is a discussion on Problem Running Adobe Reader on FC6 - Setup ; Downloaded/installed latest Adobe Reader OK, but.... Running acroread from command lines yields endless "expr: syntax error" messages. And when trying to open a .pdf from a website, nothing happens. Support for Adobe Reader seems non-existent. Any experience/suggestions re this? Thanks, ...

  1. Problem Running Adobe Reader on FC6

    Downloaded/installed latest Adobe Reader OK, but....
    Running acroread from command lines yields endless
    "expr: syntax error" messages.
    And when trying to open a .pdf from a website, nothing happens.

    Support for Adobe Reader seems non-existent.

    Any experience/suggestions re this?

    Thanks,
    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: Problem Running Adobe Reader on FC6

    "Richard Vaughn" writes:

    > Downloaded/installed latest Adobe Reader OK, but....
    > Running acroread from command lines yields endless
    > "expr: syntax error" messages.
    > And when trying to open a .pdf from a website, nothing happens.
    >
    > Support for Adobe Reader seems non-existent.
    >
    > Any experience/suggestions re this?

    Basically, there is a function in the acroread script which attempts
    to make sure that there is a sufficiently recent libgtk-x11-2.0
    installed on the system, and make sure that Acrobat Reader finds it
    when it starts up. It needs to have a version of gtk2 that is at
    least as recent as 2.4.0. FC6 has version 2.10.8, so it shouldn't be
    a problem, except that the script didn't expect the middle number of
    the version to be larger than one digit.

    The whole procedure is a kludge, and should be rewritten by Adobe.
    I've found a couple of different edits out by searching with Google,
    but they're both kludges, too. I just disabled the check entirely.
    Here's how:

    Find where acroread is installed. In my case it is /usr/bin/acroread.
    It is a text file. Pull it into your favorite text editor, and find
    the following text at line 432:

    check_gtk_ver_and_set_lib_path()
    {
    if [ -z "$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ]; then
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib
    else
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH":/lib:/usr/lib
    fi

    Insert the line "return 0" as the first line of the procedure, making
    those lines look like:

    check_gtk_ver_and_set_lib_path()
    {
    return 0
    if [ -z "$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ]; then
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib
    else
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH":/lib:/usr/lib
    fi

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  3. Re: Problem Running Adobe Reader on FC6

    $ acroread
    expr: syntax error
    expr: syntax error
    expr: syntax error
    expr: syntax error
    expr: syntax error

    $su -c "vi `which acroread`"

    searched (/) for get_gtk_file_ver, then identified the second regexp
    line (not the one with grep, the one with sed).

    Replacing
    echo $mfile| sed 's/libgtk-x11-\([0-9]*\).0.so.0.\([0-9]\)00.\([0-9]*\)
    \|\(.*\)/\1\2\3/g'
    with
    echo $mfile| sed 's/libgtk-x11-\([0-9]*\).0.so.0.\([0-9]*\)00.\([0-9]*
    \)\|\(.*\)/\1\2\3/g'

    actually meant to add a * after the second [0-9] pattern. It was
    missing.

    Cheers..!!

    On Mar 16, 1:10 am, hemph...@hemphills.net wrote:
    > "Richard Vaughn" writes:
    > > Downloaded/installed latest Adobe Reader OK, but....
    > > Runningacroreadfrom command lines yields endless
    > > "expr:syntaxerror" messages.
    > > And when trying to open a .pdf from a website, nothing happens.

    > > Support for Adobe Reader seems non-existent.

    > > Any experience/suggestions re this?

    > Basically, there is a function in theacroreadscript which attempts
    > to make sure that there is a sufficiently recent libgtk-x11-2.0
    > installed on the system, and make sure that Acrobat Reader finds it
    > when it starts up. It needs to have a version of gtk2 that is at
    > least as recent as 2.4.0. FC6 has version 2.10.8, so it shouldn't be
    > a problem, except that the script didn't expect the middle number of
    > the version to be larger than one digit.
    >
    > The whole procedure is a kludge, and should be rewritten by Adobe.
    > I've found a couple of different edits out by searching with Google,
    > but they're both kludges, too. I just disabled the check entirely.
    > Here's how:
    >
    > Find whereacroreadis installed. In my case it is /usr/bin/acroread.
    > It is a text file. Pull it into your favorite text editor, and find
    > the following text at line 432:
    >
    > check_gtk_ver_and_set_lib_path()
    > {
    > if [ -z "$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ]; then
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib
    > else
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH":/lib:/usr/lib
    > fi
    >
    > Insert the line "return 0" as the first line of the procedure, making
    > those lines look like:
    >
    > check_gtk_ver_and_set_lib_path()
    > {
    > return 0
    > if [ -z "$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ]; then
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib
    > else
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH":/lib:/usr/lib
    > fi
    >
    > Scott
    > --
    > Scott Hemphill hemph...@alumni.caltech.edu
    > "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  4. Re: Problem Running Adobe Reader on FC6

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > Any experience/suggestions re this?

    The open source xpdf program works reads pdf files ok in my experience.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: Problem Running Adobe Reader on FC6

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >
    >> Any experience/suggestions re this?

    > The open source xpdf program works reads pdf files ok in my experience.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    ya, it works. A percolater makes a cup of coffee, too.

  6. Re: Problem Running Adobe Reader on FC6

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 15:09:16 -0700, kurt wrote:

    > Mark Hobley wrote:
    >> Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any experience/suggestions re this?

    >> The open source xpdf program works reads pdf files ok in my experience.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Mark.
    >>

    > ya, it works. A percolater makes a cup of coffee, too.

    On this old laptop I use gs -r300 and drag the window to see the whole
    thing. Like making coffee in a pan and straining it with your teath.

    --
    stonerfish

    dare to explore

+ Reply to Thread