Problem preparing hard disk for installation of Fedora Core 6 - Setup

This is a discussion on Problem preparing hard disk for installation of Fedora Core 6 - Setup ; I'm having a problem reducing the size of the single partition on my hard drive where WinXP Home resides. It's in NFTS format. I'm using PartionMagic 8 and whenever I try to resize the partition, the operation aborts giving the ...

  1. Problem preparing hard disk for installation of Fedora Core 6

    I'm having a problem reducing the size of the single partition on my
    hard drive where WinXP Home resides. It's in NFTS format. I'm using
    PartionMagic 8 and whenever I try to resize the partition, the operation
    aborts giving the error code #1529. The instruction manual gives the
    following explanation:

    #1529 Information mismatch in directory entry
    A file attribute stored in a file record is different from the attribute
    stored in its
    directory entry. If this error is in a system file (file 010), Windows NT
    CHKDSK does not fix it, but Windows NT rebuilds the root directory on the
    partition the next time the operating system is started.

    They're right. CHKDSK doesn't fix it. In fact it doesn't seem to see any
    error at all. The OS has been restarted several times and the problem
    persists so I'm trying to find a way to fix it so I can move ahead with
    the Linux installation. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
    hearing from you.

    TIA.

    Chris.

  2. Re: Problem preparing hard disk for installation of Fedora Core 6

    #1: Buy another hard drive and put Linux on that. Seriously, it's a
    lot easier and safer than resizing a Windows partition.

    #2: Partition Magic is occasionally useful, but not known for useful
    error messages. Can you use an Ubuntu or other LiveCD and use the
    "ntfsresize" tools to resize your file systems, and gparted to resize
    the partiton with it?

    #3: A lot of old directions say to put in a /boot partition as your
    first partition, to avoid the old 1023 cylinder limitation of LILO and
    certain BIOS's. Don't bother anymore. Leave Windows alone as much as
    possible, don't try slipping it downdisk and adding in an earlier
    partition because Partition Magic will *mis-order* your partitions,
    leaving you very screwed up.

  3. Re: Problem preparing hard disk for installation of Fedora Core 6

    Nico wrote:
    > On 10 Mar, 05:01, Chris wrote:
    >> I'm having a problem reducing the size of the single partition on my
    >> hard drive where WinXP Home resides. It's in NFTS format. I'm using
    >> PartionMagic 8 and whenever I try to resize the partition, the operation
    >> aborts giving the error code #1529. The instruction manual gives the
    >> following explanation:
    >>
    >> #1529 Information mismatch in directory entry
    >> A file attribute stored in a file record is different from the attribute
    >> stored in its
    >> directory entry. If this error is in a system file (file 0-10), Windows NT
    >> CHKDSK does not fix it, but Windows NT rebuilds the root directory on the
    >> partition the next time the operating system is started.
    >>
    >> They're right. CHKDSK doesn't fix it. In fact it doesn't seem to see any
    >> error at all. The OS has been restarted several times and the problem
    >> persists so I'm trying to find a way to fix it so I can move ahead with
    >> the Linux installation. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
    >> hearing from you.

    > #1: Buy another hard drive and put Linux on that. Seriously, it's a
    > lot easier and safer than resizing a Windows partition.
    >
    > #2: Partition Magic is occasionally useful, but not known for useful
    > error messages. Can you use an Ubuntu or other LiveCD and use the
    > "ntfsresize" tools to resize your file systems, and gparted to resize
    > the partiton with it?
    >
    > #3: A lot of old directions say to put in a /boot partition as your
    > first partition, to avoid the old 1023 cylinder limitation of LILO and
    > certain BIOS's. Don't bother anymore. Leave Windows alone as much as
    > possible, don't try slipping it downdisk and adding in an earlier
    > partition because Partition Magic will *mis-order* your partitions,
    > leaving you very screwed up.

    Thank you for all the advice. It's very much appreciated. I'm watching a
    couple of hard drives now on eBay so that may very well be the route
    I'll take. I'm trying to do this with a minimum of expenditure as this
    Linux thing is something I'm doing to challenge the mind rather than a
    drastic need. Thank you again.

    Chris.

  4. Re: Problem preparing hard disk for installation of Fedora Core 6

    Visit: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  5. Problem preparing hard disk

    I have same problem, (laptop hp dv6000 series). I tried ntfsresize but
    it just damaged data on windows partition. If anybody solved this
    problem, please write. (sorry for english)

  6. Re: Problem preparing hard disk

    On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 06:34:47 -0700, zgr.net wrote:

    > I have same problem, (laptop hp dv6000 series). I tried ntfsresize but
    > it just damaged data on windows partition. If anybody solved this
    > problem, please write. (sorry for english)

    I haven't had a problem with ntfsresize. However, all versions I have used
    strongly suggest making a backup first. BTW, ntfsclone is a good tool for
    making backups of ntfs partitions.

    Do you need the data on the ntfs partition? Do you have a backup?

    --
    Douglas Mayne

+ Reply to Thread