crazy web connection woes - Setup

This is a discussion on crazy web connection woes - Setup ; I have an account at www.ncsecu.org . And for some reason, all of a sudden, I cannot connect to their website. It's not their website. It doesn't seem to be mozilla. I boot into windows...bam...there it is...even with all the ...

  1. crazy web connection woes

    I have an account at www.ncsecu.org. And for some reason, all of a sudden,
    I cannot connect to their website. It's not their website. It doesn't
    seem to be mozilla. I boot into windows...bam...there it is...even with
    all the history and cookies deleted. I log in and everything is fine.

    But for some stupid reason, I cannot even access their website on my linux
    box. I though I'd try to be cute and wine mozilla and see if it could find
    it. No joy there.

    Can anyone else get to this website? I can't even ping the thing.

    I'm running an updated SuSE 10.1 box with 1.5g of memory and a 3ghz
    processor.
    --
    -----
    No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always boom tomorrow.

  2. Re: crazy web connection woes

    Taylor Sutherland wrote:
    > I have an account at www.ncsecu.org. And for some reason, all of a sudden,
    > I cannot connect to their website. It's not their website. It doesn't
    > seem to be mozilla. I boot into windows...bam...there it is...even with
    > all the history and cookies deleted. I log in and everything is fine.
    >
    > But for some stupid reason, I cannot even access their website on my linux
    > box. I though I'd try to be cute and wine mozilla and see if it could find
    > it. No joy there.
    >
    > Can anyone else get to this website? I can't even ping the thing.
    >
    > I'm running an updated SuSE 10.1 box with 1.5g of memory and a 3ghz
    > processor.

    I had a similar problem and found I had incorrectly typed the url and it was in
    the cache. I killed the cache and was able to get to the site.
    P.S. I have no problem getting to the site you asked about.

  3. Re: crazy web connection woes

    Leo Bing Whiteway wrote:

    > Taylor Sutherland wrote:
    >> I have an account at www.ncsecu.org. And for some reason, all of a
    >> sudden,
    >> I cannot connect to their website. It's not their website. It doesn't
    >> seem to be mozilla. I boot into windows...bam...there it is...even with
    >> all the history and cookies deleted. I log in and everything is fine.
    >>
    >> But for some stupid reason, I cannot even access their website on my
    >> linux
    >> box. I though I'd try to be cute and wine mozilla and see if it could
    >> find
    >> it. No joy there.
    >>
    >> Can anyone else get to this website? I can't even ping the thing.
    >>
    >> I'm running an updated SuSE 10.1 box with 1.5g of memory and a 3ghz
    >> processor.

    > I had a similar problem and found I had incorrectly typed the url and it
    > was in the cache. I killed the cache and was able to get to the site.
    > P.S. I have no problem getting to the site you asked about.

    no joy, still to www.ncsecu.org. I'm stumped. I gave that url to another
    friend of mine, and he can't get to it either. It just waits and waits and
    waits. I bet you if I did a reinstall, it'd work, but reinstall what?
    --
    -----
    No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always boom tomorrow.

  4. Re: crazy web connection woes

    Leo Bing Whiteway wrote:

    > Taylor Sutherland wrote:
    >> I have an account at www.ncsecu.org. And for some reason, all of a
    >> sudden,
    >> I cannot connect to their website. It's not their website. It doesn't
    >> seem to be mozilla. I boot into windows...bam...there it is...even with
    >> all the history and cookies deleted. I log in and everything is fine.
    >>
    >> But for some stupid reason, I cannot even access their website on my
    >> linux
    >> box. I though I'd try to be cute and wine mozilla and see if it could
    >> find
    >> it. No joy there.
    >>
    >> Can anyone else get to this website? I can't even ping the thing.
    >>
    >> I'm running an updated SuSE 10.1 box with 1.5g of memory and a 3ghz
    >> processor.

    > I had a similar problem and found I had incorrectly typed the url and it
    > was in the cache. I killed the cache and was able to get to the site.
    > P.S. I have no problem getting to the site you asked about.

    Thought I'd add one more thing. I can't ping the site, nor connect to it
    with lynx, or konqueror. The only thing that tries to connect is telnet.
    I thought for sure if the images were somehow not loading, at least lynx
    could connect to it. Nothing. But again, if I boot into
    windows...everything works fine. Which is great except I don't have my
    banking software on my windows side (not free!)

    --
    -----
    No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always boom tomorrow.

  5. Re: crazy web connection woes

    in 445068 20070308 131918 Taylor Sutherland wrote:

    >no joy, still to www.ncsecu.org. I'm stumped. I gave that url to another
    >friend of mine, and he can't get to it either. It just waits and waits and
    >waits. I bet you if I did a reinstall, it'd work, but reinstall what?

    Works perfectly here : Firefox on Ubuntu 6.10 and OS/2

  6. Re: crazy web connection woes

    Taylor Sutherland wrote:

    Thank you for looking into it. It's obviously something on this end, but
    for the life of me, I wouldn't know where to begin to look.
    --
    -----
    No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always boom tomorrow.

  7. RE: crazy web connection woes

    when you find out please post the solution
    I have similar problem with wwww.chicagotribune.com

  8. Re: crazy web connection woes

    On 2007-03-09, Will Renkel wrote:
    > I have similar problem with wwww.chicagotribune.com

    Unable to determine IP address from host name for wwww.chicagotribune.com
    The DNS is dead or their registration has expired.

    Davide

    --
    Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

  9. Re: crazy web connection woes

    On 2007-03-09, Will Renkel wrote:
    > when you find out please post the solution
    > I have similar problem with wwww.chicagotribune.com

    Try removing a 'w' (wwww = 4, www=3)
    Davide

    --
    Had to give report over censorship today. So I put in a pr0n vid and
    they made me turn it off.

  10. Re: crazy web connection woes

    Taylor Sutherland wrote:
    > Taylor Sutherland wrote:
    >
    > Thank you for looking into it. It's obviously something on this end, but
    > for the life of me, I wouldn't know where to begin to look.

    Aha.

    Mmm.

    I had a similar situation with - as it happens - windows.

    Adsiortwas a sire with which I had many many commercial dealings, I
    started a dialogue..their support said 'what's your router'
    and I said 'D-link and they said 'reboot, it, and if that fixes it,
    upgrade the firmware..

    If you ARE behind a NAT router,it *may* be that its got its tables
    screwed up.

  11. RE: crazy web connection woes

    Will Renkel wrote:

    > when you find out please post the solution
    > I have similar problem with wwww.chicagotribune.com

    Actually someone posting on forums.mozillazine.org/ had the EXACT same
    problem as I. He seemed to think that if I downgrade my version of openssl
    to openssl-0.9.7a-40 it would work because he found some old boxes with
    that installed and it worked fine. I'm going to try that myself.
    --
    -----
    No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always boom tomorrow.

  12. RE: crazy web connection woes

    typo in post only - not in trying it live
    live = www.chicagotribune.com

  13. RE: crazy web connection woes

    In message
    nobody@nowhere.com (Will Renkel) wrote:

    > typo in post only - not in trying it live
    > live = www.chicagotribune.com

    Displays OK her in New Zealand. Using VARiscPC-Adjust, with web
    browser Netsurf, through Orcon.net.nz.

    David
    --
    David Love
    The easiest thing to grow in a garden is tired.

  14. Re: crazy web connection woes

    Taylor Sutherland wrote:

    > I have an account at www.ncsecu.org. And for some reason, all of a
    > sudden,

    I read a lot about openssl not liking that site, so I updated to the latest
    suse vesion.

    moogdome:~ > rpm -q openssl
    openssl-0.9.8e-2

    Still no dice. I just can't get to that site no matter what I do.

    --
    -----
    No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always boom tomorrow.

  15. Re: crazy web connection woes

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    , Will Renkel wrote:

    [on Friday, you had posted:
    :when you find out please post the solution
    :I have similar problem with wwww.chicagotribune.com
    ]

    Please learn to quote some context so people have some idea what you are
    talking about.

    >typo in post only - not in trying it live
    >live = www.chicagotribune.com

    [compton ~]$ ping -c 1 www.chicagotribune.com
    PING chicagotribune.com (63.241.84.11): 56 data bytes

    --- chicagotribune.com ping statistics ---
    [compton ~]$ lynx http://www.chicagotribune.com

    Chicago Tribune news : Local news, weather, traffic, shopping and class
    (p1 of 8)

    [clear.gif]
    [clear.gif]
    Home [clear.gif] News [clear.gif] Business [clear.gif] Sports [clear.gif]
    Travel [clear.gif] Entertainment [clear.gif] Homes [clear.gif] Jobs
    [clear.gif] Cars [clear.gif] Shopping [clear.gif] Place ads [clear.gif]
    Newspaper services [clear.gif]

    [clear.gif] [clear.gif] chicagotribune.com [clear.gif]
    [mostlycloudy.gif]
    54 F
    Latest forecast [clear.gif] [clear.gif] [clear.gif]

    Ping doesn't work (big surprise), but there's no trouble connecting. The
    page uses frames, but lynx is obviously bringing it up. Actually, with
    all of those .gifs, one wonders if there is eighty tons of crap being
    downloaded from some content provider like akamai or similar.

    What exactly happens when you try? Does the computer catch on fire?
    Does your browser show pictures of dancing pigs? Explain what happens
    and MAYBE someone will tell you what you are doing wrong.

    Old guy

  16. Re: crazy web connection woes

    Taylor Sutherland wrote:

    Amazingly, it turns out it WAS the webmaster's fault. They send me an email
    saying they fixed *something*, and lo and behold... I now have my checking
    account again!

    --
    -----
    No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always boom tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread