Thunderbird and line breaks on replies - Setup

This is a discussion on Thunderbird and line breaks on replies - Setup ; Hi all, More and more I'm seeing Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) not correctly breaking lines when replying to emails - it seems to only put a break (and quote char) at the start of each paragraph, not at the start of each ...

  1. Thunderbird and line breaks on replies

    Hi all,

    More and more I'm seeing Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) not correctly breaking
    lines when replying to emails - it seems to only put a break (and quote
    char) at the start of each paragraph, not at the start of each (80
    character or whatever) line.

    It's now at the point where it's outright annoying rather than mildly
    irritating as I'm fed up having to split lines and insert quote characters
    manually on a lot of message replies.

    Anyone else found a fix for this problem? I think it's likely a problem
    with original source messages (and it's just that the message viewer wraps
    to the margins - where the message composer doesn't for quoted text) - but
    I've seen source messages from a variety of other email clients cause
    trouble, not just any one in particular.

    Have searched the Mozilla forums but haven't found anything useful yet
    (and I'm reluctant to "risk" upgrading a couple of minor releases to
    1.5.0.9 just in case the problem's fixed)

    I've got "compose messages in HTML format" unchecked in account settings
    (I only ever want to send in plain text) and "automatically quote original
    text when replying" checked. I can't see any obvious settings for forcing
    line breaks...

    cheers

    Jules

  2. Re: Thunderbird and line breaks on replies

    Jules wrote:

    > More and more I'm seeing Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) not correctly
    > breaking lines when replying to emails - it seems to only put a
    > break (and quote char) at the start of each paragraph, not at the
    > start of each (80 character or whatever) line.

    That's the fault of the sender. No lines should be more than 80
    chars, and 67 is a much more reasonable right margin value. It
    survives several levels of quoting.

    -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
    -- Thomas Matthews

  3. Re: Thunderbird and line breaks on replies

    Jules wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > More and more I'm seeing Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) not correctly breaking
    > lines when replying to emails - it seems to only put a break (and quote
    > char) at the start of each paragraph, not at the start of each (80
    > character or whatever) line.
    >
    > It's now at the point where it's outright annoying rather than mildly
    > irritating as I'm fed up having to split lines and insert quote characters
    > manually on a lot of message replies.
    >
    > Anyone else found a fix for this problem? I think it's likely a problem
    > with original source messages (and it's just that the message viewer wraps
    > to the margins - where the message composer doesn't for quoted text) - but
    > I've seen source messages from a variety of other email clients cause
    > trouble, not just any one in particular.
    >
    > Have searched the Mozilla forums but haven't found anything useful yet
    > (and I'm reluctant to "risk" upgrading a couple of minor releases to
    > 1.5.0.9 just in case the problem's fixed)
    >
    > I've got "compose messages in HTML format" unchecked in account settings
    > (I only ever want to send in plain text) and "automatically quote original
    > text when replying" checked. I can't see any obvious settings for forcing
    > line breaks...
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jules

    I am using thunderbird. there is your message. Looks fine to me. I have seen a
    problem that sounds like you describe with some AOL messages.

    My quick solution is to replace the original replay message with a copy of the
    original post. I insert a > only on the first of a group of lines I am replying to.

    Agreed it is annoying.

    --
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
    signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed,

+ Reply to Thread